Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 02:53 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
So you feel that yoga interferes directly with your belief system?

And that it can't be an adjunct to health?
I tell ya, the only yoga that almost killed me was that bakram ( sp?) where they crank up the heat, I about had a heat stroke. Otherwise it calms me down and has improved my health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 05:18 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Okay, that is completely unfair. I had no idea that you have to use your vacation days! We don't have to use vacation time for Christmas...I really think you should get that time off without docking your vacation time. Is that a company policy...or is that something that needs to go to Congress? Hey, I'll go up there and slap some people around for you! See, I really need out of the snow!! Plus I just enjoy saying that, slap, slap, slap! Yep, I'm slap happy! I am going to talk to my co-worker and see what he says about the laws and where he's worked. He used to work for a huge well-known corporation so it will be interesting to see both sides of the coin.
I agree, it certainly isn't fair! But I work for the state of California, so you'll have to take it up with Ah-nold - or at the very least, Mayor Gavin Newsom. Hmmm... he's actually really hot, so I wouldn't mind knocking on his door at City Hall.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
yoga is very healthy, some people are really streching this.
That's what I was just thinking... geez, and they think non-Christians are sensitive??? Wow!! I do yoga regularly, and never encorporate any type of religion or even spirituality into it. It's become a very mainstream form of exercise, and could only benefit your children to participate. But next there will be a thread about childhood obesity, and how we're not encouraging kids to exercise enough! Guess there's no way to make everyone happy, huh?

Old 04-12-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Cil, come to California and you will see it here. Just as matter of time before it's in all the communist schools in America.
What's wrong with learning about different faiths?? Considering I've been required to learn ALL about Christianity, in my California public schools, it only seems fair... but I guess some of you don't understand the true meaning of equality. FYI, it means providing EQUAL attention to everyone, and not just who/what you believe in.

Also, I grew up in California & work in education here, and know nothing about these requirements you're implying that we have. Students do a short comparitive religion course (in some schools), but that covers ALL religions.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:38 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
ontheroad, no it cant be for my belief system or my muslim friends either. So we have to opt out of the state run school system. But I dont argue others should not do that it if it is ok with your belief system or no belief system, i am just speaking for myself and family.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:41 PM

gizmo, that is great if that happens in California but back east where I have lived in NY, Pennsylvania, SC, RI , FL they do not talk about Christianity so we shouldnt have other religions in there either.

But if California does thats cool as long as other religions are respected besides buddhism.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
that the goal of yoga is to Unite(yoga means union in Hindu) the transitory self with the infinite brahmin, the Hindu concept of God. this god is not a literal being but is an impersonal spiritual substance that is one with nature and the cosmos. this view is called pantheism the belief that everything is god.since this is god to them, the yoga philosophy makes no distinction bewtween man and god.
You know more about yoga than myself, and I've been practicing it for years... sorry, but you seem to be overthinking this a bit. And then we're accused of being sensitive cry-babies for asking you not to say "Merry Christmas" - hmmph.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Default Fear of Yoga

So how about pilates???

I mean, what if your son took pilates and later in life became a ~ballet dancer~ ???

We all know what that means, right?

{sorry but I am LMAO here, gotta luv thread drift on the C-D!}

Old 04-12-2007, 05:46 PM

overthinking what exactly?? I am not telling you not to practice yoga, if thats what you practice--i never said that. I was explaining why we(me and my family) and religion do not that is all. I was answering an earlier post someone ask of me, i wasnt addressing anything you said gizmo. You have a right to praces what you like

Old 04-12-2007, 05:48 PM

i love ballet, nothing wrong with ballet at all. We are talking about religion beliefs in this thread though so I was addressing yoga. No fear of it, it just mesh with my beliefs. I dont understand why it is a problem for others that I dont believe in it, but dont condemn others for their belief system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality