Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
For the same reasons communities and other groups are not ethnically diverse.
And why is that. I have been thinking about this question for a long time and think I know the answer, but I am a little timid to say what I think it is. So before I do the post, I just want you to know that I am saying what I think and I have no intention of defending what I think to anybody. I have come to this conclusion by observation only.

Some diverse groups are insecure and look for a place where they will be welcome, but they are causing themselves problems by everybody swamping to the same place. Some posters on here ask for areas where _________or ________or __________are welcome. This is America and everybody should be welcome everywhere, so why go looking for a place that has other people just like you thus causing segregation. Come out of your little groups and join the rest of the United States by being just another American instead of being _________American. When you start thinking of yourselves as American others will too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:50 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I actually grew up in a suburban white catholic parish. I don't recall a single black person in the parish...except when we had a visiting priest from Africa--and he was the only one. There were a few other minorities...but it was mostly white as white could be. I think it had more to do with the neighborhood than anything else.
Exactly. A city that is multi-racial is likely to have a multi-racial Catholic Church. Protestant churches in a city are likely to have...all white or all black churches.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:52 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Exactly. A city that is multi-racial is likely to have a multi-racial Catholic Church. Protestant churches in a city are likely to have...all white or all black churches.

I think it has more to do with the neighborhood, actually. Honestly...I didn't know there was such a thing as a black catholic until I was a teenager--except for someone from another country.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
That's quite a generalization to make based on one experience at one "white church" versus only a couple of Asian Buddhist temples. It's purely anecdotal and reflects your unique, highly limited experience rather than reality. I had an experience with an Asian Buddhist temple which was rather unwelcoming, to say the least; I would never dream of posting that experience as some sort of indication of how Asian Buddhist temples generally treat visitors, however. That would be unfair and irrational. That experience was one unique experience of mine, not an indicator of the religion or temple or anything other than that particular experience.
I don't recall using the words "all" or "they all". Like I said, I had an experience. I never said it was the norm.

Quote:
It seems that so often anti-Christian sentiments are summed up by such anecdotal experiences recounted in order to either demonstrate or at least strongly imply negative aspects of Christianity and/or Christians in general.
I am a Christian. A Gnostic Christian (i.e., about 80% of the Christians I meet who I say that to have this "I wanna kill you" look in their eyes) but still a Christian none the less. You seem to be generalizing that everyone who says something against Christian churches is a none Christian.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I think it has more to do with the neighborhood, actually. Honestly...I didn't know there was such a thing as a black catholic until I was a teenager--except for someone from another country.

What if you live in a neighborhood that has allot of blacks from catholic countries, i.e., Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic etc.

I mean, I have always lived were there are a lot of different kinds of people, and they all self-segregate in Churches...except for Catholic churches.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
What if you live in a neighborhood that has allot of blacks from catholic countries, i.e., Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic etc.

I mean, I have always lived were there are a lot of different kinds of people, and they all self-segregate in Churches...except for Catholic churches.

Probably. Honestly...there wasn't much difference from one catholic parish to another...no reason to drive very far.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 PM

134 posts, read 412,882 times
I attended both the United Methodist church and the Catholic church as a child and I don't remember ever seeing any blacks in either church. I always thought this was odd, as both churches had Asian and Fillipino(is that the correct term) members.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Again, you make an over-generalization here. I know Catholic Churches that are very much one nationality, from Spanish to Italian to French and many other ethnicities. Furthermore, I know plenty of protestant churches, from Baptist to Presbyterian to Episcopalian and many more which are anything but segregated. I once attended a Baptist church which well represeted the ethnic makeup of its community and had large numbers of Latino, Italian, Irish, Dutch, Black, Indian (east), Greek, and a few asian families (very few as it was in a town that didn't have a heavy asian population). Oh, and it had at least a few Armenians (myself being one of them) in the membership.

On the other hand, there are many very mixed Catholic Churches as you correctly pointed out, and there are many segregated churches which will treat someone of an obviously different ethnicity wrongly. But your posts are very sweeping in that they at least imply that certain denominations are more or less mixed or segregated.

I think the only times when a church is truly ethnically segregated is when there is a church that is formed that way intentionally for its congregants, like Greek Orthodox or Korean Baptist Churches, where many people are more comfortable understanding the liturgy or sermons in their native tongue.

Again, I am not generalizing, only stating what I have seen. Also...there is a head of the all churches, most of whom are the same race as the membership...there is only one Pope, and one College of Cardinals. They are black, white, Asian, Latino etc. Hence, the Catholic Church is certaintly multi-racial.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
A lot of people go to the same church that their parents went to.

Their parents church was probably officiall segregated until about 50 years ago.

So this is the vestiges of past discrimination/segregation.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
A lot of people go to the same church that their parents went to.

Their parents church was probably officiall segregated until about 50 years ago.

So this is the vestiges of past discrimination/segregation.
Is your narrow view a product of your geographic location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality