Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 01:09 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
When I discuss biblical topics, I just let the Scriptures do the convicting because they are clearly written for us to read and not lean to our own understanding or argue about.
But obviously that's what every single person does, is lean on their own understanding, or else we would have 1 church, 1 denomination, no different sects, no Protestants vs. Catholics, none of it!

Additionally, there would only be 1 translation, not thousands, and there wouldn't be debate among the canonicity of certain books, there would be no debate as to the canonicity of the Apocrypha, there would be no difference in the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox, or Western Protestant Bibles.

The Bible comprises 24 books for Jews, 66 for Protestants, 73 for Catholics, and 78 for most Orthodox Christians.

Nuff said.

Last edited by jeffncandace; 08-15-2007 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 07:02 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times
Default Seeking God by any means Necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
But obviously that's what every single person does, is lean on their own understanding, or else we would have 1 church, 1 denomination, no different sects, no Protestants vs. Catholics, none of it!

Additionally, there would only be 1 translation, not thousands, and there wouldn't be debate among the canonicity of certain books, there would be no debate as to the canonicity of the Apocrypha, there would be no difference in the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox, or Western Protestant Bibles.

The Bible comprises 24 books for Jews, 66 for Protestants, 73 for Catholics, and 78 for most Orthodox Christians.

Nuff said.
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the Life. The Catholics, The Protestants, and Orthodox Christians are all on one accord when it comes to that verse. God created us not to be robots and because of that, we all have the free will to reason as we want and to believe as we want. Each different christian denomination represents the differences in the way we CHOOSE to worship God. If I am an emotional person, then I will worship God at a pentacostal church, if I don't think that I need to whoop and holler in service then I go to a church where the service is more reserved. If I want to deny Jesus Christ all together there are other religions for that. I hope you see what I am getting at. People who are seeking spirituality are looking to get to God by ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

Unfortunately, non of us want to appreciate the fact that God does read hearts, and who am I or anyone to put down someone's faith in something or someone higher than us, especially if that person is living a better and enriching life as a result of it. Enuff Said as well.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
Arrow Obvious

The same reason that so many other religions do. Because they are just that a
Religion. Yes why do devoutly religious people that are anti-Christ hate and
persecute Christians and pass their little nasty judgements upon them? Because they know Christ is real and that He (Christ) is Risen and the Veil has rent,and
going to perform every word that God said he would. and deep down inside they
don't want this to take place, but the god/gods of this world has their minds blinded
to the Truth, so they can't be free to make the right choices..
That's why we pray
So that the Enemy Satan can't counterfeit and trick you into going to Hell
God wants everyone to be set free, that's why He sent His Son to pay our ransom with His Blood on the Cross...
So I feel that whether it's religion or cars or jobs,food what have you"(slang)
anyone that is dedicated to a cause will, defend it. naturally.
Of course it will appear that they are passing judgement to the opposing person,
All Law Enforcement , Prosecutors,Judges etc.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throx View Post

Question from my previous comment two steps up (to all Christians): Do you feel you are involved in a "Spiritual War" with the other religions?
No.

Ephesians 6:12 (NIV)
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Our battle is not with other religions, it is fought within the spiritual realm.

I think we get too caught up in trying to convince everyone that we are right. When you take this approach, the other person is rarely convinced. People are going to stick to what they are comfortable with. I think sometimes it would go alot farther to just live our lives by example. Apply all of the judgements we are thinking about those around us to our own lives. See if we even live up to those measurements. You know, "take the log out of our own eye before we inspect the speck in someone elses"? If we concentrate on our own life, and use each day as a day to try to live more like Christ, then not as many people would be turned off to Christianity simply because of the judgmental nature of the adherants.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:49 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
I think that it makes them feel better to be judgemental.

there's some scripture somewhere warning us not to be "puffed up." Those good people who find it necessary to pass judgement on the actions of other good people, might want to look deeply into their own behavior and thought.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I think that it makes them feel better to be judgemental.

there's some scripture somewhere warning us not to be "puffed up." Those good people who find it necessary to pass judgement on the actions of other good people, might want to look deeply into their own behavior and thought.
I can honestly say that I don't feel good when I have to discuss religion, especially with a person who already has it in his mind to persecute me for my beliefs in the first place. What's so sad is that if I am willing to hear your points, and hear the person argue his point very well over mine. Then I am humble enough to say to the person, you know what, I was w rong, and you are right or I now see how I misinterpreted that scripture.

To me, its not about who wins the so called debate, and it's not about who's right. But it's about coming to a greater understanding of God's word so that your soul and salvation isn't at risk, if you thought what you were doing was right. The bible is very clear on one thing. We will be judged for the good and bad things we have done in our lives. We need to wake up, and smellthe Yuban so t hat we can be right when we all face God on judgement day.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:55 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I think its funny when people say God thinks this and God thinks that, how do they know what god thinks. Do they a superiority complex that makes them think God is constantly on the phone with God or something?
I had to chuckle when I read this part of the OP, because I have wondered the same thing, and it's good to know I'm not the only one who has thought about this.

It amazes me that people somehow think they were inside God's head, or in Paul's mind - or some other Biblical author's mind - when the words of the Bible were written. People say things like "what Paul had in mind when he wrote such-and-such was this.....blah blah blah". And I'm thinking to myself "How the heck do YOU know what Paul supposedly had in mind when he wrote something?"

I wish people would just STOP espousing all their personal interpretations of the Bible as if they were doctrine.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post

Nuff said.
Thank you, Amen, God BLESS you, Jeff. We agree on something - again.

Alright Jeff, get up off the floor. It's not funny to fake a heart attack like that.

Jeff?

Can you hear me, bud?

Oh sheesh, someone grab some smelling salts. I really KO'd him this time!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:05 PM

Default What was in PAul's Mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I had to chuckle when I read this part of the OP, because I have wondered the same thing, and it's good to know I'm not the only one who has thought about this.

It amazes me that people somehow think they were inside God's head, or in Paul's mind - or some other Biblical author's mind - when the words of the Bible were written. People say things like "what Paul had in mind when he wrote such-and-such was this.....blah blah blah". And I'm thinking to myself "How the heck do YOU know what Paul supposedly had in mind when he wrote something?"

I wish people would just STOP espousing all their personal interpretations of the Bible as if they were doctrine.
I wish that too, and I also wish that when the bible is silent on any topic that comes up in this forum or any future forum, that people just say, you know what I don't have an opinion on it since no where in scripture says that we can or cannot engage in that activity.

But I will say this again, if we can't infer what God wants us to do using other scripture as proof text, then I don't think any of us should have any position or opinion on it. Here's an example. Is smoking wrong or sinful? The bible doesn't say that a christian shouldn't smoke. But some will argue that they can smoke just because the scriptures are quiet about smoking.

The way we can know that smoking is 100% wrong is from reading other scriptures that tells us that our bodies don't belong to us any more once we become a born again christian, and that our bodies are temples where God's Holy Spirit dwells. If you understand that, then the desire to smoke should wane very quickly since smoking leads to cancer and or other diseases. We don't want to deliberately damage or disease our bodies, because if we do then we are basically committing suicide knowing that smoking causes cancer.

GOD'S silence is sometimes golden on certain biblical topics of discussion. Hummmmmm? Just a thought.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I wish that too, and I also wish that when the bible is silent on any topic that comes up in this forum or any future forum, that people just say, you know what I don't have an opinion on it since no where in scripture says that we can or cannot engage in that activity.

But I will say this again, if we can't infer what God wants us to do using other scripture as proof text, then I don't think any of us should have any position or opinion on it. Here's an example. Is smoking wrong or sinful? The bible doesn't say that a christian shouldn't smoke. But some will argue that they can smoke just because the scriptures are quiet about smoking.

The way we can know that smoking is 100% wrong is from reading other scriptures that tells us that our bodies don't belong to us any more once we become a born again christian, and that our bodies are temples where God's Holy Spirit dwells. If you understand that, then the desire to smoke should wane very quickly since smoking leads to cancer and or other diseases. We don't want to deliberately damage or disease our bodies, because if we do then we are basically committing suicide knowing that smoking causes cancer.

GOD'S silence is sometimes golden on certain biblical topics of discussion. Hummmmmm? Just a thought.
I'm not really commenting about arguments from silence - although I can see what you're saying. What I'm talking about, however, is when Christians (and particularly contemporary authors), or a church, base their beliefs and doctrines upon assumptions. For example, in commenting about Paul's words that women are to remain silent in the churches, certain "authorities" will say something like "What Paul had in mind when he wrote that was.......", or "Paul was referring to a specific group of women......" - and the truth is, there is nothing in the Bible that clearly indicates what Paul had in mind when he wrote it. And there is nothing that says he was talking about a specific group of women. There is nothing anywhere in the NT which clarifies what Paul meant. It simply says what it says. So it's rather precarious to base a belief upon what someone else THOUGHT Paul was referring to.

And no, I'm not trying to start a debate about whether women should remain silent in church. I just used that as an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality