Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Proof doesn't require belief. That's why they call it proof

~T

proof is scientific. Belief is faith- it cannot be proven mathematically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 11:02 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Sure...but you would not believe it right? LOL
If you show me proof I don't have to believe. Proof would make it an irrefutable fact.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:00 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
This is probably what bothers me most... how non-religious folks need to PROVE their side, but religious ones can just use faith as their "proof"....
This is just the point. Non-believers shout "prove it!" and when we bring you our proof they scoff and say no proof, then they say you can't prove it. Maybe if the heathens would ask us what they would need as proof, and be specific, we might be able to help.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:11 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
As a heathen, I've asked many questions and will continue to do so. I am working up a set of questions about the veracity of the writers of the NT. In particular, I question the authenticity of Paul's word.

Quote:
This is just the point. Non-believers shout "prove it!" and when we bring you our proof they scoff and say no proof, then they say you can't prove it. Maybe if the heathens would ask us what they would need as proof, and be specific, we might be able to help.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:23 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Show me your proof then, there is no proof is the problem. You're blinded by your religion and believe something to be proven even when it is far from it. I was raised Christian and I want to be a part of a religion, I would love to believe there is a heaven waiting for me and a kind all knowing God. I am completely open to it but nothing has touched me, it doesn't show itself to me. I prayed every night for years and never felt a thing. I have no proof, and most science points AGAINST it. Most people are religious because they are afraid of hell. I can't fool myself like that.

I find the Christian's to be the heathens. How many wars have agnostics/athiests started? None. How many wars have religion started? Most. You heathens loved murdering people in the name of the Crusades.

The Christian motto: Believe or die.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:28 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,367 times
Shadow, I'm not religious...but I'd be careful about placing blame on religion for war. War has one cause and that's greed. Religion is just how those in power get the masses to support their wars. Religion is a tool to control the masses, always has been, always will be. Religion, in and of itself, does not cause war.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:29 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Shadow, I'm not religious...but I'd be careful about placing blame on religion for war. War has one cause and that's greed. Religion is just how those in power get the masses to support their wars. Religion is a tool to control the masses, always has been, always will be. Religion, in and of itself, does not cause war.
I stand by my comments. Regardless of the politics behind the wars, religion was the reason the people were fighting the wars. The soldiers weren't getting richer, only the royalty.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:33 AM

I don't want to do this, but you're forcing me to...

Explain the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Explain German expansion in WWII. Explain the Spanish-American war. Were these wars religiously motivated?

Of course the soldiers don't get richer. They're part of the "masses". Those in control, whether they are royalty, elected officials, dictators, or corporations, are the ones who profit.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:34 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
I don't want to do this, but you're forcing me to...

Explain the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Explain German expansion in WWII. Explain the Spanish-American war. Were these wars religiously motivated?
I never said every war ever was started by religion, and I'm not equally educated in every war ever. I don't see your point.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
I never said every war ever was started by religion, and I'm not equally educated in every war ever. I don't see your point.
You made this statement...

Quote:
How many wars have agnostics/athiests started? None.
That statement is false. If no wars were started by agnostic/atheists, then all wars must have been started by the religious. Your logic isn't adding up. I know where you're coming from, but you need to think about what you're saying. Perhaps you're just not explaining yourself well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality