Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:25 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,665,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
So ... I'm just curious, what independent verification do the more doubtful or seeking Christians use to verify Jesus Christ's existence?
The Quran. There is no need for the rival/jew-despising religion to incorporate Jesus in its sacred text. What more do you need, considering that Roman sources are amorphous and vague (which I have to agree )

It's not the age of youtube or googletons. A missive to reach Pliny the Younger took several weeks/months.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:23 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,343,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
The Quran. There is no need for the rival/jew-despising religion to incorporate Jesus in its sacred text. What more do you need, considering that Roman sources are amorphous and vague (which I have to agree )

It's not the age of youtube or googletons. A missive to reach Pliny the Younger took several weeks/months.
You know, as bright as I am (), I have never thought of answering questions like his with the Quran. Good answer!

Old 06-04-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
You know, as bright as I am (), I have never thought of answering questions like his with the Quran. Good answer!
The confluence of several ancient civilizations never gets it wrong

Also, Kool-aid, I think, was discovered somewhere beyond the Atlantic and I'm also pretty sure it does not belong between the Mediterranean and the dead seas

I also have to add. Some historical and archaeological stuff did shake my faith in the past. Big surprise, I drew my faith back from muslim boys in school who simply told me to "chill and chin up". You never realize which direction inspiration and the buttressing of faith can come sometimes.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:20 PM

4,903 posts, read 6,005,521 times
Currently, no independent sources have been found which prove the existence of Jesus.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:36 PM

The agnostic who doubts the possibility of an existence is the best judge

Old 06-04-2009, 05:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,373,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
The agnostic who doubts the possibility of an existence is the best judge
Maybe not but certainly a better judge than the doubtless believer.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,337,043 times
All, thank you for your input. I will have to read everything when the time permits.

I recognize that the true essence of believing something is to take the final leap from shadow of a doubt to believing it to be true, or when all your doubts are satisfied. I guess I just never got enough to prove his existence.

Re: mistranslations in the Bible, there are many, one need only search to find that out. Some of it is due to the fact that ideas and concepts in one language do not have a direct representation in another. Some of it is just pure error. Some of it malicious and meant to twist an ideal to another for one's own wishes.

Anyway, it will likely be a few days before I plow through all the info. Thanks again everyone

Old 06-04-2009, 08:12 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,757,550 times
Any mention of Jesus in the Dead Sea Scrolls?

Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 PM

55 posts, read 88,121 times
I'm not able to give proof of the existence. I'm not sure there is scientific proof but I do know that from personal experience, if you have an open mind and believe in Him He will speak to you and show you who He is. It's hard to explain if you've never felt the love of God before or the peace that He surrounds you in. It's hard even for me to think that there is someone so big out there that made all of us and everything in this world but when you become a Christian (and I'm not talking about going to church and gossiping with the youth or the little old ladies) a real Christian then you feel Him inside you, you have an uplifting of your soul. You don't suddenly change and become sinless, everyone makes mistakes. But your way of thinking and the perspective you have on life changes. You become content and more happy than you can ever be with anyone else or doing anything else.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,203 times
Default 10 independent sources

Including Josephus, there are 10 independent non-Christian authors who mention Jesus within 150 years of his life. The ten non-Christian sources are Josephus; Tacitus, the Roman historian; The Jewish Talmud; Pliny the Younger, a Roman politician; Phlegon, a freed slave who wrote histories; Thallus, a first-century historian; Seutonius, a Roman historian; Lucian, a Greek satirist; Celsus, a Roman philosopher; Mara Bar-Serapion, a private citizen who wrote to his son
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.