Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
How do marriage laws protect society as a whole?

I believe it's better for society to go with a more progressive form of marriage. For example, people are more stable and willing to buy houses when they are married. If you have a larger portion of the population getting married, then more people are willing to buy. Where's your example that a traditional marriage is better?

I really could care less about your God; just don't put him/her/it in our government and laws. You don't see me trying to force my morals and way of life on others, I'd expect the same from you. And before you start, getting the same civil liberties that someone else is privy too, isn't forcing your way of life onto someone else. But, restricting someone's civil liberties based on a personal bias is. The most well known examples of this are the women suffrage and equal rights for blacks.

you have every right to be wrong on this. I don't much care, actually.

I believe homosexuality to be immoral...and I'm not going to support a candidate that believes in creating a special version of marriage to support it. Sorry.

Our society just benefits from strong families...and our families are suffering bad enough w/out deciding to just punt and call it quits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 07:02 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Our society just benefits from strong families...and our families are suffering bad enough w/out deciding to just punt and call it quits.
Exactly.. and some of the strongest families include those of same sex parents.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:06 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
What does homosexuality have to do with it? The government has the right to define/regulate marriage. There is no discrimination--homosexuals have the exact same rights that I do when it comes to marriage. No more, no less.
Look Kdbirch, I don't know how much clearer I can make this to you:

You are selectively applying your religious views in a bigoted manner.

The question is, "should Christian rules of marriage be legally enforced?" You answer is, "only when it comes to homosexuals."

When we are discussing whether the government should apply the christian rules of marriage that effect heterosexuals, you said "I don't think it's the government's business to regulate that." When we talk about gay people getting married, you say, "that shouldn't be allowed because it is against God's law."

That is why people claim Christians like you are bigots. If you really cared about legally enforcing God's laws, you would want it enforced against heterosexuals too. But you pick and choose which of the God's laws to enforce legally based on your bigoted dislike of gay people.

Are you a student of history? Remember when Christians used bible verses to justify slavery? And segregation? You are just like them Kd. You are using the bible to enforce your bigotry.

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
you have every right to be wrong on this. I don't much care, actually.

I believe homosexuality to be immoral...and I'm not going to support a candidate that believes in creating a special version of marriage to support it. Sorry.

Well if society benefits from strong families, then you Christians had better get your act together. There are more divorces, dysfunctional families and domestic abuse among Christians than any other segment of society.

The report below blows your theory out of the water.

In 2004 the Massachusetts divorce rate, at 2.2 per 1,000 residents per year, was considerably lower than the US national average rate for that year, 3.8 per 1,000. Indeed, it was lower than the national average rate for 1950 (2.6 per 1,000) and even approached the national rate of 1940 (2 per 1,000).
In 2003, total divorces in Massachusetts declined 2.1% relative to 2002.
But in the first two years of legal same sex marriage in the Bay State, Massachusetts showed a more rapid decline and will very likely hold on to its title as the US state with the lowest divorce rate in the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Exactly.. and some of the strongest families include those of same sex parents.

and it also gives an extremely confusing message to the kid regarding sexuality, parental roles, etc.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
and it also gives an extremely confusing message to the kid regarding sexuality, parental roles, etc.
How is it confusing to tell kids the truth? Children in gay families have no more chance of being gay than your kids do. By the way how would you react should one of your children happen to be gay? Would your attitude change, or would you look upon him or her as you do gays today?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:16 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times
Quote:
Not really. Kids aren't stupid blob things that are confused when there are two parents who are the same sex (I know, I know, it's contrary to what they preach in church). They aren't confused and they don't turn into serial killers, rapist, child molesters, etc. They are about as well adjusted as kids who come from hetero couples. An article might do you some good.

Same-sex marriage: How do children fare?

Last edited by kb09; 06-10-2009 at 07:25 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Not really. Kids aren't stupid blob things that are confused when there are two parents who are the same sex (I know, I know, it's contrary to what they preach in church). They aren't confused and they don't turn into serial killers, rapist, child molesters, etc. They are about as well adjusted as kids who come from hetero couples. An article might do you some good.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/514477

sorry. not a member...can't read that.

I do believe that parents in a stable marriage benefit a kid. If you don't believe that...fine. It's not going to do me any good to argue with you on it.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:

I do believe that parents in a stable marriage benefit a kid. If you don't believe that...fine. It's not going to do me any good to argue with you on it.
Good that you agree that there are more stable marriages among gays than there are among Christians.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times
Quote:

I changed the site. I don't know why it did that (when I first clicked on it, it came up fine).

It's good that you believe that, but believe has very little, if in fact nothing to do with fact and evidence. Your belief cannot change fact and evidence, no matter how much you will it. It is a fact that children from same-sex couples are about as well adjusted as children from hetero couples. No matter how much you believe for hetero couples to raise their kids that somehow make them better, does not in any way, shape, or form change the fact that it's not true. Plain and simple. You decide whether to disregard or accept fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality