Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:45 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,480 times

Advertisements

This truly is a philosophical question. First of all let me state that I love America and would never go anywhere else.....okay so why is that when America fights in wars it is always considered a wonderful patriotic thing that should be honored? But if a country like say Iran is fighting for what they think is a good cause they are considered evil and need to be stopped. Iran is just an example....but think about it. Just something I was pondering recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 06:20 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times
This will turn into a flame fest, guaranteed. There's no way a question like this can be asked on the internet without it turning into a battle between the chest thumpers and the fashionably anti-Americans.

No offense, but I think this is better in the politics subforum.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,097 times
I've often wondered the same about the nuclear issue. While I don't personally want a country like Iran to have nuclear capabilities, I am confused as to our moral high ground regarding being outraged at their desire to gain such capabilities. We are armed to the hilt and, if Vietnam and Iraq are any indications, do not always bear the best judgment with regard to when to use military force or not.

To your larger point, I think it's just old fashioned tribalism. People feel a need to draw strict lines around themselves - they want to build fences between countries, define their religion (and God's love) by only those who agree with them 100%...

Old 06-08-2009, 06:46 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
This will turn into a flame fest, guaranteed. There's no way a question like this can be asked on the internet without it turning into a battle between the chest thumpers and the fashionably anti-Americans.

No offense, but I think this is better in the politics subforum.

no, i think this is the best place for it (imho).

long ago, i used to be one of "the fashionably anti-americans".

until i realized how much i would allow myself to be stereotyped by opinion makers and by interest groups i would hardly get to know at all ...

until i noticed what freedom means for an individual.
what peace means in a world that can hardly claim to be civilized, i.e. have overcome (!!!!, not masqued!) the most archaic traits usually accepted as necessary for evolution and progress.

i hope for more people to come forward simply expressing their very own inner turmoil and/or confusion and the utter helplessness so obvious in all our relationships ....

Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
no, i think this is the best place for it (imho).

long ago, i used to be one of "the fashionably anti-americans".

until i realized how much i would allow myself to be stereotyped by opinion makers and by interest groups i would hardly get to know at all ...

until i noticed what freedom means for an individual.
what peace means in a world that can hardly claim to be civilized, i.e. have overcome (!!!!, not masqued!) the most archaic traits usually accepted as necessary for evolution and progress.

i hope for more people to come forward simply expressing their very own inner turmoil and/or confusion and the utter helplessness so obvious in all our relationships ....
Unfortunately, I predict we're going to see some ugly displays of nationalism before it's all done.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Unfortunately, I predict we're going to see some ugly displays of nationalism before it's all done.
i41 rather face that than dodge the issues in elegant masquerades or convenient complacency.

someone, some time back, on this forum mentioned apathy. let's find out the reasons for that!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
This is a good question. I hope people are able to discuss it calmly and rationally. I have always wondered why anything we do with is legit and the exact same thing done by someone else is 'terrorism.' I do not think someone should challenge your patriotism for asking this question. I have asked it, too. I love America, but I despise hypocrisy.

As to why we'd rather Iran not have nuclear capabilities...I think the fewer countries with nuclear weapons the better. And frankly, I think it best that countries that are unstable (Pakistan) or who have a long history of not cooperating or taking part in a world forum (pretty much anyone in the middle east, North Korea) not have those weapons.

As it is, a country like Russia changes regimes and now can't figure out who has some of their nukes. It's just better if they don't go there.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:17 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,066,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
This truly is a philosophical question. First of all let me state that I love America and would never go anywhere else.....okay so why is that when America fights in wars it is always considered a wonderful patriotic thing that should be honored? But if a country like say Iran is fighting for what they think is a good cause they are considered evil and need to be stopped. Iran is just an example....but think about it. Just something I was pondering recently.

Because eeeevil is stooopid. That was my lame attempt at humor. If you've seen Spaceballs you might recognize the reference.

I think Iranians think we're evil, too. It depends on your perspective. But I do believe we have a lot more freedom here than there. And the fact that we peacefully (somewhat) change our leaders ever 4 or 8 years by voting does give us a leg up on most of the countries run by tyrants.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is a good question. I hope people are able to discuss it calmly and rationally. I have always wondered why anything we do with is legit and the exact same thing done by someone else is 'terrorism.' I do not think someone should challenge your patriotism for asking this question. I have asked it, too. I love America, but I despise hypocrisy.

As to why we'd rather Iran not have nuclear capabilities...I think the fewer countries with nuclear weapons the better. And frankly, I think it best that countries that are unstable (Pakistan) or who have a long history of not cooperating or taking part in a world forum (pretty much anyone in the middle east, North Korea) not have those weapons.

As it is, a country like Russia changes regimes and now can't figure out who has some of their nukes. It's just better if they don't go there.

with 60 years distant from ww2 and rescued by allied forces .... i, like many others, can admire americans for their pride in their service given to the abstract ideals of freedom, peace and democracy.

no one, however, should delude themselves about the cost in terms of "collateral damages" (not only body counts and symbolic memorial gestures and celebrations, but physical and, more, psychological traumata carried forth into generations to come, imho).

the question might come down to the point of asking, who are the "winners", i.e. the beneficiaries of warfare????

Last edited by effie g-tad; 06-08-2009 at 07:52 AM..

Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Is this a serious question?

I get that you have never traveled out of the States?

The Iranians think they fight for the right cause. The Taliban think they fight a Holy War. They Pakistanis think they fight for the rightmost cause. Sri Lanka thinks it fights for its homeland. The Russians think they fight for Mother Russia....

Perhaps it's time to turn off American TV? What else do you expect, pondering one? Subscribe to Al Jazeera, for a change. Or, take a 20 day trip to some fancy resort in Dubai, it will be a life-changing experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality