Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 05:57 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was just wondering I live in a very conservative, heavily Christian community where people are completely by and large are completely preoccupied with religion. They use it to socially isolate themselves and I was sitting in a coffee shop and everybody around me was completely fixated on their bibles. It seemed the bible from hearing them talk was giving them a bizzare sense of superiority, it was just completely strange. It almost was like because they are true believers who spend hours and hours obcessed with their bible that they are somehow special people who can pass judgement because they are biblical scholars who have a closer connection to "god" then others. It almost made me question my own religious beliefs which are I believe in a god/higher power but dont read or take the bible literally.

Also the heavily christian, extremely religious small city in which I live has alot
of people struggling and yet they continue to have babies because they by and large do not believe in birth control or reproductive rights. Thus, the state that I am in has an excpetional large number of people who have babies who are not a position to raise them in a decent, ethical manner because these people have fallen into the lord will provide trap and everything will be okay.

Sometimes it is even like people get almost intoxicated with their biblical addiction and start behaving inappropriately its not uncommon in the small city I am in for people to yell out their religious beliefs and hatred towards people who they believe are not complete believers and born-again Christians. Which is ironic because they tend to keep to themselves but just like people who are alcoholics when they drink to much alot of times they have to vomit it out and these religious cases alot of times they get so intoxicated with their religion they have to vomit out those religious beliefs and hurl those religious beliefs on to innocent bystanders.

A vast majority of the people in the small city I am in also believe that women were put on this earth to have marry and have babies. Thus, even the people who have are not in a financial position or capable of the job skills to have be in a financial position have lots of babies anyway. Because they have this complete belief in the "holy spirit" that no matter what they do they can absolutely do no wrong.

Another issue with the vast majority of the people in the community I am in is because they are complete absoluteists in their beliefs that women were put on this earth to have babies that since its such an absoluteist belief here the number of people with babies here is very large and the property taxes have skyrocketed and the city has a severe, long-term structural budget deficit because so much property tax goes to the schools because of the incredible birth-rate.

Also it seems like alot of devout believers dis-associate with anyone questions their beliefs which complely bizzare. This shows that even they must have doubts because if they didnt they would associate with those who question their beliefs. Either that or people who dont see eye to eye in what their religious views are not worthy of socializing worth.

It just seems like heavily devout religious areas and deeply religious people have a tendency to have alot of problems or cause alot of problems.
Dear MattDen: Your description of "devout" christian sounds more like fanatic christian to me, I believe deeply religious people are wise and know better, what Christianism, God, Love and Compassion really mean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:42 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
I was just wondering I live in a very conservative, heavily Christian community where people are completely by and large are completely preoccupied with religion. They use it to socially isolate themselves and I was sitting in a coffee shop and everybody around me was completely fixated on their bibles. It seemed the bible from hearing them talk was giving them a bizzare sense of superiority, it was just completely strange. It almost was like because they are true believers who spend hours and hours obcessed with their bible that they are somehow special people who can pass judgement because they are biblical scholars who have a closer connection to "god" then others. It almost made me question my own religious beliefs which are I believe in a god/higher power but dont read or take the bible literally.

Also the heavily christian, extremely religious small city in which I live has alot
of people struggling and yet they continue to have babies because they by and large do not believe in birth control or reproductive rights. Thus, the state that I am in has an excpetional large number of people who have babies who are not a position to raise them in a decent, ethical manner because these people have fallen into the lord will provide trap and everything will be okay.

Sometimes it is even like people get almost intoxicated with their biblical addiction and start behaving inappropriately its not uncommon in the small city I am in for people to yell out their religious beliefs and hatred towards people who they believe are not complete believers and born-again Christians. Which is ironic because they tend to keep to themselves but just like people who are alcoholics when they drink to much alot of times they have to vomit it out and these religious cases alot of times they get so intoxicated with their religion they have to vomit out those religious beliefs and hurl those religious beliefs on to innocent bystanders.

A vast majority of the people in the small city I am in also believe that women were put on this earth to have marry and have babies. Thus, even the people who have are not in a financial position or capable of the job skills to have be in a financial position have lots of babies anyway. Because they have this complete belief in the "holy spirit" that no matter what they do they can absolutely do no wrong.

Another issue with the vast majority of the people in the community I am in is because they are complete absoluteists in their beliefs that women were put on this earth to have babies that since its such an absoluteist belief here the number of people with babies here is very large and the property taxes have skyrocketed and the city has a severe, long-term structural budget deficit because so much property tax goes to the schools because of the incredible birth-rate.

Also it seems like alot of devout believers dis-associate with anyone questions their beliefs which complely bizzare. This shows that even they must have doubts because if they didnt they would associate with those who question their beliefs. Either that or people who dont see eye to eye in what their religious views are not worthy of socializing worth.

It just seems like heavily devout religious areas and deeply religious people have a tendency to have alot of problems or cause alot of problems.
sounds a lot like the area that i live in. there are a lot of reasonable christians out there, but far too many take it beyond reason and rationality; beyond what's practical. to me that's when it starts causing problems... the laid back believers are usually pretty reasonable and down to earth.

but as far as causing problems go, i think it's about 50-50. many christians will tell you we are in a corrupt society, (after all we are all sinners) many of the same christians will tell you this is a christian nation. religion, being a powerful institution cannot escape corruption and corruption leads to problems. however, it does do some good. i just think its a shame because religion is capable of so much more than it brings to the table, it can be great, but it keeps getting abused, and i think that's where many if not most of the problems come from.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:09 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Quote:

I want to take the risk of inquiring "Where do you Live???,
I ask this because I haven't been around anywhere lately that was a "heavily Christian" . population. just the opposite I might add.
I can't remember right now, but there was a thread somewhere on here awhile back ,....... a person was looking for this type of community to live in.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:24 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
I want to take the risk of inquiring "Where do you Live???,
I ask this because I haven't been around anywhere lately that was a "heavily Christian" . population. just the opposite I might add.
I can't remember right now, but there was a thread somewhere on here awhile back ,....... a person was looking for this type of community to live in.
Sorry about that;
I posted before I read the other posts/replies about where you lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality