Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
No, because the man who gunned down the doc wasn't Christian. If he was Christian he wouldn't have gunned down the doc.

Are atheist getting more violent? What about Columbine, and these were just atheistic kids?
Whats interesting is when you speak with muslims they will tell you that the men who flew planes into the towers on 911 or whatever other terroristic plot you can come up with, they will say these people are not true uslims. HOWEVER christians tend to NOT buy that explanation, instead needing to believe all muslims are out to get us as part of their religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 01:38 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Speaking of muslim terrorist, on a side note, it looks like my little country has decided to take about 17 of them from Guantanamo.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:48 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
No, not because of recent events, but, I do agree that, as a group, christers are a violent lot, I have suspected that it is because, somewhere deep down inside, they know they have been fed a pack of lies and have been paying good money for ancient mythology for a long time. It's like, they know they are being hoaxed, they just can't help themselves. It is difficult for some to shed the chains of superstition, a frustrating lifestyle.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
I think it is dangerous to paint a group of individuals as being violent because of the actions of nut-jobs like the abortion doctor killer. Certain elements of the Left are also using the recent news of the neo-nazi who gunned down security guards at the Holocaust Museum as proof of the danger of the Right (makes the insinuation that conservatives are all right-wing extremist Christian lunatics).

Now you guys know how I am agnostic with little love for Christianity, particularly Fundamentalist/Evangelical Christianity. However, I can tell you that there are a lot of good people who are Christians who would NEVER commit these kinds of acts. I mean we have some guys here at work that are, what I would consider Fundies, who have never bothered me with their religion, let alone threatened take my life or anybody elses.

I think it is fine to criticize the institution of Christianity and even paint it as violent based upon the actions it has displayed throughout history. This cannot be seriously denied even by the most dedicated apologist (though they will try). But to assume that each individual Christian has the propensity for violent behavior lurking beneath the surface because they are Christians is absurd.

And let's be serious for a moment (ok, I know being serious is not always one of my strong points, right June 7th? ), on the secular side, we can hardly lay claim to displaying a lack of violence. Violence, unfortunately, is part of the human condition and hardly limited to this group or that group. I think this is amplified when humans start displaying pack behavior and when they stop questioning any "group-think" whether they be faith systems, politicial ideologies or what have you.

Last edited by Fullback32; 06-11-2009 at 09:23 AM..

Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
to op and question:

could it be that vigilance and violence need to be scrutinized with a little more "intelligence" than allowed by physical and material orientation?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:41 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,357 times
I've always felt that many religious institutions harbor intolerance, hatred, and/or violence in some way or another. That said, it's never good to use one large brush to paint tiny individual people. Not all Christians are violent. Not all Muslims are terrorists. Not all pro-lifers (myself included), are happy about the murder of Dr Tiller. So on and so forth.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I think it is dangerous to paint a group of individuals as being violent because of the actions of nut-jobs like the abortion doctor killer. Certain elements of the Left are also using the recent news of the neo-nazi who gunned down security guards at the Holocaust Museum as proof of the danger of the Right (makes the insinuation that conservatives are all right-wing extremist Christian lunatics).

Now you guys know how I am agnostic with little love for Christianity, particularly Fundamentalist/Evangelical Christianity. However, I can tell you that there are a lot of good people who are Christians who would NEVER commit these kinds of acts. I mean we have some guys here at work that are, what I would consider Fundies, who have never bothered me with their religion, let alone threatened take my life or anybody elses.

I think it is fine to criticize the institution of Christianity and even paint it as violent based upon the actions it has displayed throughout history. This cannot be seriously denied even by the most dedicated apologist (though they will try). But to assume that each individual Christian has the propensity for violent behavior lurking beneath the surface because they are Christians is absurd.

And let's be serious for a moment (ok, I know being serious is not always one of my strong points, right June 7th? ), on the secular side, we can hardly lay claim to displaying a lack of violence. Violence, unfortunately, is part of the human condition and hardly limited to this group or that group. I think this is amplified when humans start displaying pack behavior and when they stop questioning any "group-think" whether they be faith systems, politicial ideologies or what have you.
I agree. Absolutely no correlation between being a Christian and being more or less violent.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I agree. Absolutely no correlation between being a Christian and being more or less violent.
They call this a paradox

Barely a day ago, you posted tons of links

<Tony's perplexed to Andoria>

Did I put a sedative somewhere in the platter?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Whats interesting is when you speak with muslims they will tell you that the men who flew planes into the towers on 911 or whatever other terroristic plot you can come up with, they will say these people are not true uslims. HOWEVER christians tend to NOT buy that explanation, instead needing to believe all muslims are out to get us as part of their religion.
You are right! Those terrorists were Muslim and That man was a Christian.

The difference is, Those Muslims were acting in accordance to their teachings and that man who gunned down the doctor was not acting in accordance to the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:24 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
The offer was real I was having protein shakes, carb laxatives, egg-free cake substitute all lined up on a platter.

Hope you can use them for increased throughput

messages #12, #15, #18, #38 were easy to count
I am glad you read my posts.

BTW, isn't your diet and digestive problems off topic here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality