Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:27 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Also, I don't think we have to be best friends with people whose behavior we don't approve of, but I do think, we Christians at least, are called to love them and give them room to change.
But isn't this judging? You are making a determination as to whom to associate with, how often, how intimately.

That is simply my point. We all judge, all the time. If I post a link to talkorigins, people will judge that information, and by proxy, the people who wrote and posted that info.

If mams posts a link to AIG, we all similarly make a judgment on this for a variety of reasons.

Do you have an opinion on the job that Bush is doing as president? Another judgment.

My point is that judgment is not, in and of itself, a bad thing. We use it every day, all the time. I do think that treating people poorly is bad, being rude is bad, and many other things. But this is different from the judgment process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 01:29 PM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I read something to this effect quite often, and it makes little sense to me.

People make mistakes, and I understand that we shouldn't judge someone based on a mistake, but what is a person if not the sum of his actions and beliefs? When I form an opinion of a person, I base that opinion first on his actions, and possibly on other criteria as well. For example, a certain co-worker is extremely lazy - no two ways about it. I do not like being paired with him on any job. Another co-worker is a chronic liar. I feel negatively toward both these men.

What of thieves? Abusive parents? Drunks? Are we to feel good about them as people - except for the thieving, abuse and drunkenness?

Some people are not to my liking. They may be fine toward someone else, but I'm not someone else. Others are just no good.

In many cases, I cannot separate the person from his actions and beliefs, and I don't feel I should.
There's a BIG difference between judging unfairly (often based on appearances, stereotypes, or first impressions) and assessing one's character. Once you've actually gotten to know somebody, of course you don't have to like them! Plenty of people in this world I dislike, but I try to reserve these opinions until they've proven themselves to be jerks.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:29 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,812,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
But isn't this judging? You are making a determination as to whom to associate with, how often, how intimately.
Well how else are you to choose your friends and associations? You have to evaluate people based on something. That is not the same as judging them to be bad or good people.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:31 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:

That is simply my point. We all judge, all the time. If I post a link to talkorigins, people will judge that information, and by proxy, the people who wrote and posted that info.

If mams posts a link to AIG, we all similarly make a judgment on this for a variety of reasons.

Do you have an opinion on the job that Bush is doing as president? Another judgment.

My point is that judgment is not, in and of itself, a bad thing. We use it every day, all the time. I do think that treating people poorly is bad, being rude is bad, and many other things. But this is different from the judgment process.
That, Stretch, was the point of my original post. I don't think all judging is bad.
My pastor puts it like this: put "mental" on the end of judge and you will have what the Bible forbids. (Again, I know that you as an atheist, don't derive morality from the Bible but as Christians we are held to that standard.)

Old 06-12-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well how else are you to choose your friends and associations? You have to evaluate people based on something. That is not the same as judging them to be bad or good people.
Isn't it? I can see no difference.

I judge people as to whether they are funny or not. Charming or not. Interesting or not. Physically attractive or not. Honest. etc.

Based on the sum total of all of these judgments, I decide if I want to associate with them.

Now, I am not saying that I throw rocks at unfunny, dumb people. But I do judge people all the time.

Am I working with the same definition of judgment as everybody else, or not?

Old 06-12-2007, 01:38 PM

Kaykay, I agree with your original post. And I more or less agree with what your pastor says. We judge all the time, and we must.

Being judgmental is different. That implies a punishment of some sort based upon the judgment. Such as yelling at people with tattoos (to poach from another current thread). Or being uncivil because you do not approve of another persons lifestyle or decisions. Those behaviors are wrong.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:39 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,812,692 times
Quote:
Isn't it? I can see no difference.

I judge people as to whether they are funny or not. Charming or not. Interesting or not. Physically attractive or not. Honest. etc.

Based on the sum total of all of these judgments, I decide if I want to associate with them.

Now, I am not saying that I throw rocks at unfunny, dumb people. But I do judge people all the time.

Am I working with the same definition of judgment as everybody else, or not?
Glad you don't throw rocks, that would be rude..

But I don't see evaluating a person based on their personality as interesting or not interesting to you to be the same as judging them as good or bad people. Nor do I see evaluating a person based on his performance at a job or skill to be judging them as being a good or bad person. I personally think Bush has totally messed up as president and is incompetent...but I don't know him personally so I can say that he is a bad person or has bad intentions...he's probably just stupid. See the difference?

Old 06-12-2007, 01:48 PM

Irishmom,

I think I see what you are getting at. Would I be correct in saying that you feel comfortable in judging people's actions, or abilities, but shy away from actually putting a value (good/bad) on them as a human?

I am not trying to put words in your mouth, but trying to understand your viewpoint.

If I have correctly understood what you are saying (and I might not have), I still disagree. Serial killers are bad people. Jimmy Carter is a good person. I know neither personally, but I am still comfortable with that judgment based upon their actions.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:51 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,741,654 times
Rosie Odonell gets on my nerves...etc

Old 06-12-2007, 01:55 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Irishmom,

I think I see what you are getting at. Would I be correct in saying that you feel comfortable in judging people's actions, or abilities, but shy away from actually putting a value (good/bad) on them as a human?

I am not trying to put words in your mouth, but trying to understand your viewpoint.

If I have correctly understood what you are saying (and I might not have), I still disagree. Serial killers are bad people. Jimmy Carter is a good person. I know neither personally, but I am still comfortable with that judgment based upon their actions.
This is making my brain hurt!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality