Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post

By questioning the Word of God, when God places His Word in the mouth of His servants, you are pretty much questioning God.
So the Bereans of Acts 17 were wrong to verify the apostles' teaching?

I asked because I was curious of the hermeneutics involved. If he was preaching an expository sermon, and the passage in question clearly condemns lying, then that's what the pastor should have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:51 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
So the Bereans of Acts 17 were wrong to verify the apostles' teaching?

I asked because I was curious of the hermeneutics involved. If he was preaching an expository sermon, and the passage in question clearly condemns lying, then that's what the pastor should have done.
Know it's not wrong to verify a message. In Acts 17 Paul pasted through Amphipolis, Apollonia, and Thessalonica and taught the scriptures by explaining and demonstrating about Christ. Then you notice there were some that believed and some didn't.

But look at the error of the ones who were not persuaded. It was not evil that they were not persuaded, but it was evil what they did. They took some of the evil men and gathered a mob and attacked the house of Jason. So, what they did was evil and wicked in how they handled there misundering with Paul. They could have easily went to Paul and expressed there misundering, or disagreement in a respectable way, but they literally went after Jason. Now what type of verifying is that?

Then as you read the rest of the scripture you see it happening again. Some believed Paul and some didn't.

It's not a sin to disagree, but it can lead to sin just like in the scripture of Acts 17 in what the people did that did not agree.

But if you read what he wrote it doesn't sound like he wanted to verify anything, only to say that he felt that he was wrong because of his attitude of everyone lies and it's life.

Quote:
I whispered to my wife "yea, right" and "I don't think so
Does this sound like he wants to verify.

Quote:
I think Jason and I need to have a talk behind closed doors! It's evident that we grew up on different sides of the street."
Or what about this. What does the wrong side of the tracks have to do with lieing and what God says about lieing. Is this verifying?

Quote:
Anyway, I do understand what he read out of Proverbs about lieing, but he really made it sound like a real sin!
The problem is it is a real sin in the sight of God. If not God wouldn't have said not to lie. Does this sound like he wants to verify anything or just question because he feels like its not a sin.

Quote:
Yes, the word "reality" is the one word that many people who go to church seem to not want to hear! Of course, in church the Bible and the Pastor both tell us how to change the way we are/how we sometimes behave, but just how easy is that to do?? Like it or not, there are things people (even Christians) have to do in order to survive in today's world!!
What does reality have to do with God's Word and lieing? Do you tell God that you had to tell a lie because of reality or you was born on the wrong side of the tracks. What type of verifying is this?

Quote:
Someone told me that the #1 job that requires lieing is Sales
If this is the case, then a person is in the wrong job. Is a job more important than what God says not to do?

So, how is this verifying anything?

It just sounds like someone is pouting about a message that they don't like.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
I'm not suggesting that he was right to question it as he did--"yea right"....I was really just trying to clarify what the sermon was on to be able to tell him that maybe he should have listened to the sermon.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:22 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Ever go to a church service, listen to the sermon and disagree (at least in part) with what the Pastor is saying? That happened to me yesterday at church. Actually, during the sermon, I whispered to my wife "yea, right" and "I don't think so". She just chuckled a litte and continued to listen. After the Service, I looked at my wife and said "I think Jason and I need to have a talk behind closed doors! It's evident that we grew up on different sides of the street."
The sermon came out of Proverbs and was about lieing. He said that way to many people lie in todays society......which is true! He told us that the one way not to lie is "not to talk so much". Anyway, I do understand what he read out of Proverbs about lieing, but he really made it sound like a real sin! Spouses can lie to each other, kids lie to their parents and parents lie to their kids, friends lie to their friends and so on and so on. The reality is, sometimes people lie because they have to! Yes, the word "reality" is the one word that many people who go to church seem to not want to hear! Of course, in church the Bible and the Pastor both tell us how to change the way we are/how we sometimes behave, but just how easy is that to do?? Like it or not, there are things people (even Christians) have to do in order to survive in today's world!!
Someone told me that the #1 job that requires lieing is Sales.
Your thoughts about this sermon and have you ever disagreed with a sermon?
What? Are you really surprised to learn that the Bible's teachings don't line up with reality?

That life is a little more complicated than a black/white, right/wrong version of morality that the Bible describes?

That a book written 1500 years ago by a bunch of goat herders can't be applied to modern life?

I'm Shocked!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Ok, all of what a Pastor does his sermon on doesn't come from the Bible......it also comes from what a Pastor has experienced in life, hears on the news, reads in a newspaper, whatever and he tells the congregation about those things also. I know that I'm a Christian and believe in the Bible, but at the same time, I'm also a REALISTIC type of person that is NOT nieve to life the way it is today!
Just before getting out of the Navy, I was asked if I was going to fly (or drive) home or stay in Calif. After finding out that I would get more money by telling them that I would fly home, that is what I told them. I stayed right in Calif. and thought nothing about the lie and was darn glad to get the extra money!
I have a "confrontational" type personality sometimes, especially when I hear something that I don't necessarily agree with. Do I "confront" just anyone.....NO WAY, I'm not that stupid! And yes, I can sound sarcastic or arrogant, as in "yea, right!" and "him and I need to talk!" Some folks, not many religious folks though, like the personality that I have (wife does).
I use sarcasim and arrogancy jokingly and many people like that, but of course not everyone. I remember when my wife and I went to enter a large room at a church for a Sunday Service. There was a large stage with guitars, set of drums and keyboard (organ). I looked at the Elder at the door and said "I feel like I'm going to an Aerosmith or Led Zepplin concert!" He smiled, but said nothing. There was no Cross or anything in this room to tell me that I was in a Church Service. Even the "big screen" tv's reminded me of a concert hall! I was truely amazed, but, then again, wife and I are 60/61 years old too and like the more "Traditional" type service that doesn't happen much anymore.
God and the Bible does tell the truth, but life and society can also dictate how a person acts!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Quote:
Ever go to a church service, listen to the sermon and disagree (at least in part) with what the Pastor is saying? That happened to me yesterday at church. Actually, during the sermon, I whispered to my wife "yea, right" and "I don't think so". She just chuckled a litte and continued to listen. After the Service, I looked at my wife and said "I think Jason and I need to have a talk behind closed doors! It's evident that we grew up on different sides of the street."
The sermon came out of Proverbs and was about lieing. He said that way to many people lie in todays society......which is true! He told us that the one way not to lie is "not to talk so much". Anyway, I do understand what he read out of Proverbs about lieing, but he really made it sound like a real sin! Spouses can lie to each other, kids lie to their parents and parents lie to their kids, friends lie to their friends and so on and so on. The reality is, sometimes people lie because they have to! Yes, the word "reality" is the one word that many people who go to church seem to not want to hear! Of course, in church the Bible and the Pastor both tell us how to change the way we are/how we sometimes behave, but just how easy is that to do?? Like it or not, there are things people (even Christians) have to do in order to survive in today's world!!
Someone told me that the #1 job that requires lieing is Sales.
Your thoughts about this sermon and have you ever disagreed with a sermon?
Yes, I disagree with our pastor many times or the guest speakers that I have heard or my family. The fact is that if you ate a cooked chicken and got a bone in your mouth, you would not sit there and choke on it and choke on it trying to get it down. No, you would take the bone out of your mouth and throw it away. The same is with preachers, listen to what they say and if you don't agree with something, don't choke on it and maybe talk to your pastor in a private setting to discuss what you think. Maybe he can give clarity or maybe you missinterpreted what he said.

As far a lying goes, you should not lie, it is a sin. I know that it is easy to get into white lies in life, but it is not an excuss. You don't need to lie to survive. I have had to deal with this, because I like to tell stories and it gets easy to start to misrepresent the truth to make the story sound better. I catch myself and interject a correction as soon as the false words come out of my mouth. I have found that I can stop them before they come out now.

A sales man does not need to lie. I work with sales people and some lie and some do not. The difference is a choice. The problem with lying is that most people can tell if you are lying.

I once got a call from a client, he asked me if I had one of our sales reps cell phone numbers. I said Yes I do, because I had it, but I said I could only give out his office number. The client said "You could have just lie to me and say you don't have it!" After I hung up the phone, I thought about it. I could have lied, but I chose to tell him the truth. The next time that client works with me, he knows that I will tell him the truth, even if it makes the situation more difficult for me.

There is a difference between telling the truth and telling all that you know about something. If someone calls and asks what our companies mark-up for a given product is, I will not say I don't know, I will just tell them that is company information and that they would need to speak to some higher up then me. Submitting to authority is often a good way to remain protected but still tell the truth. In sales, you have to sell your product. That means emphasizing the good points and diminishing the negative ones. In sales you don't have to force someone to take you product and lying about it is misrepresenting what the product realy is. I think that a client would not like you for misrepresenting the product and even if you made an immediate sale because of the loss of integrety you would lose the potential future sales of a satisfied life-long customer. If you product is just that bad, sell a different product by your manufacturer, seek improvements, or start selling for your competition, since they have the better product anyways.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:46 PM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Gee, just how many people, INCLUDING Christians, lie to a police officer when they get pulled over for something? Officer: "you know that you were going 60 in a 45 zone?" Driver: "No I didn't" (but they really did and didn't care b/c they were running late getting somewhere). Officer: "do you know that you didn't stop for that Stop sign back there?" Driver: "I'm sorry, I didn't see it." (knowing very well that they did)
If a person is going to get into trouble for telling the truth, I guess a lie is what happens. People, INCLUDING Christians, lie to their employers all the time! Calling in sick is a big lie that many, many people do. They want a day off or extend a weekend by a day.......call in sick.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Never listened to sermons, mostly

Anyone knows sermonless catholics?

The boys who walk out to have coffee, refreshments and other activities and get back in time for the Hosanna

Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 PM

11 posts, read 20,237 times
We lie because we don't trust the Truth. We lie to protect ourselves. We lie to protect others. We lie because we don't know Him as the All-sufficient One, who cares for us, who wants to provide our every need.
It is as if Jesus hasn't changed things at all. If pastors/teachers spent as much time teaching the new covenant and all it includes instead of telling us we shouldn't lie, cheat, steal, murder, hate, fornicate, etc. etc. etc.
we would have learned to trust Jesus and His love for us- we wouldn't need those old covenant sermons any more. His grace is sufficient.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:
Gee, just how many people, INCLUDING Christians, lie to a police officer when they get pulled over for something? Officer: "you know that you were going 60 in a 45 zone?" Driver: "No I didn't" (but they really did and didn't care b/c they were running late getting somewhere). Officer: "do you know that you didn't stop for that Stop sign back there?" Driver: "I'm sorry, I didn't see it." (knowing very well that they did)
If a person is going to get into trouble for telling the truth, I guess a lie is what happens. People, INCLUDING Christians, lie to their employers all the time! Calling in sick is a big lie that many, many people do. They want a day off or extend a weekend by a day.......call in sick.
You seem to have a problem with justifying things. Yes, people lie, but is it right? What does God say about it.

Just because people do it does not make it right. Know if a person is going to get in trouble,it is up to them if they tell the truth or not in the sight of God.

Quote:
They want a day off or extend a weekend by a day.......call in sic
once again you are justifying the action of sin.

Are you going to say this in front of God when you have to stand before him?

If I lie it is because I choice to and I'm not going to justify it by saying that everyone is doing it. When I have to stand before God he wants to know why I did something, not why others did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality