Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
I've felt insulted because God has no use for money, and too many priests make you believe that, IF you give money, THEN God will bless you more (Our family's own experiences, anyway.)

IMO, God would probably much rather we give to the Hurricane and other DISASTER funds, the SPCA ... neighbor catching a tough break ... a childrens charity --especially considering the nice cars I'd see our priests & nuns driving around in, while some parishoners are struggling to make their kids' tuitions for the schools.
God requires that the church receive the money as the church has bills to pay. All workers are entitled to a wage, and that includes the Pastor of a church.

I used to do the same and "control where my tithing goes to", but that goes against Christian and Jewish principles and teachings. If you are controlling your tithe money and giving it wherever you wnat it to go, then really, YOU are not giving anything to God.

And what's more when you give in church, make sure you don't make a big deal about it or you will not be blessed by God. You should give in secret, if possible, as God is the one who will reward you. Man can praise you for giving, but that will be the extent of your reward. But when you give in secret and receive no human parise for your giving, God then, who knows all secrets will reward you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 10:17 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
Default God said what . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
God requires that the church receive the money as the church has bills to pay. All workers are entitled to a wage, and that includes the Pastor of a church.
Can you please tell me where it says that God requires this? Do people really believe this?? I am having a difficult time with this one.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:18 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
And what's more when you give in church, make sure you don't make a big deal about it or you will not be blessed by God. You should give in secret, if possible, as God is the one who will reward you. Man can praise you for giving, but that will be the extent of your reward. But when you give in secret and receive no human parise for your giving, God then, who knows all secrets will reward you.
Kind of hard to give in secret, when the plate is passed in front of your nose, at most church services. You may be able to hide how much you put in, but everybody is able to see whether you even do put anything in the plate. (But, I do agree that folks are supposed to do the things of God, because of Him, not for the praise of men, Although, I don't hold with tithing, in and of itself. But, that is a different arguement ).

Old 04-17-2007, 06:25 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Can you please tell me where it says that God requires this? Do people really believe this?? I am having a difficult time with this one.
I hate to say, but I'm with you on this one. This 10 percent thing is a new thing. I don't ever recall being taught about Jesus walking aroung asking everyone for 10 percent when He was still here on earth.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:53 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
It's Malachi 3:10 "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse so that there, may be enough food in my house and test me now in this says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing unit it over flows".

Old 04-17-2007, 08:50 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
I learned something very valuable yesterday that I've been wanting to post. After reading cil's post I thought, "hmmm, sounds like they pay to go to synagogue." It was such a foreign thought to me that I mentioned this thread to my Jewish coworker. I asked him what his synagogue does, and an hour later wow did I get a lot of info. His wife is an executive director at their synagogue so I got the 411.

From what I learned Jewish people do not go by the 10 percent rule. Each synagogue is different, so as you read this, know that this is only his synagogue's guidelines.

People are encouraged to become members. All members pay set dues on a monthly basis. There is a minimum suggested depending on age and marital status. If you make a lot more money than the average person then you are asked to increase your giving to the next giving level. In addition to the mimnimum requirement you also give a suggested amount to the building fund. And then they pay for what we would call sunday school.

I did the math and it's well under the 10 percent mark for even what I make financially. I have been thinking about this topic for quite awhile since our pastor brought it up, and I've been praying about it anyway. And as I reflected on my coworkers comments a thought came to me. God has always blessed the Jewish people throughout the ages. They are HIS people. I could go on forever with this topic, but suffice it to say think about it this way. God blesses them because they give regularly! They give the first fruits of their earnings.

I know we do not give to get...but what a concept. They give and give and look at how they flourish because of obeying God's commands. God asks us to give with an open and honest heart. To give not because have to give, but because we want to give.

What an amazing way to look at finances. I am continuing to research the Jewish faith as it seems they have so many invaluable things we can learn from and appreciate.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:46 AM

642 posts, read 3,072,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I learned something very valuable yesterday that I've been wanting to post. After reading cil's post I thought, "hmmm, sounds like they pay to go to synagogue." It was such a foreign thought to me that I mentioned this thread to my Jewish coworker. I asked him what his synagogue does, and an hour later wow did I get a lot of info. His wife is an executive director at their synagogue so I got the 411.

From what I learned Jewish people do not go by the 10 percent rule. Each synagogue is different, so as you read this, know that this is only his synagogue's guidelines.

People are encouraged to become members. All members pay set dues on a monthly basis. There is a minimum suggested depending on age and marital status. If you make a lot more money than the average person then you are asked to increase your giving to the next giving level. In addition to the mimnimum requirement you also give a suggested amount to the building fund. And then they pay for what we would call sunday school.

I did the math and it's well under the 10 percent mark for even what I make financially. I have been thinking about this topic for quite awhile since our pastor brought it up, and I've been praying about it anyway. And as I reflected on my coworkers comments a thought came to me. God has always blessed the Jewish people throughout the ages. They are HIS people. I could go on forever with this topic, but suffice it to say think about it this way. God blesses them because they give regularly! They give the first fruits of their earnings.

I know we do not give to get...but what a concept. They give and give and look at how they flourish because of obeying God's commands. God asks us to give with an open and honest heart. To give not because have to give, but because we want to give.

What an amazing way to look at finances. I am continuing to research the Jewish faith as it seems they have so many invaluable things we can learn from and appreciate.
Excellent points, new information, and reminders! Thanks for this.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:47 AM

923 posts, read 3,513,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Why does the Church need so much money ? They pay no taxes. What happened to a preacher taking a vow of poverty? Why must Churches be these multi-million dollar buildings ? Did Jesus run around in $500.00 dollar suits? Not all but most preachers I see today do. Do we have to buy our way in to Heaven nowdays?

GOD don't want them to have No Junk...

Old 04-18-2007, 04:11 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I don't believe that money should be collected at all during a service. Afterwards or before yes but not during. It is a time for Godly whorship not for anything worldly.
I agree...a simple AGAPE box at the back of the church will suffice.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:02 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I don't believe that money should be collected at all during a service. Afterwards or before yes but not during. It is a time for Godly whorship not for anything worldly.
But it is worshiping God to tithe, it is being obedient to God. It's not worldly it is a holy time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality