Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:30 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajeck View Post
Yah that is where I feel I am now.
Do you hear the call from God? Do you feeling Him drawing you? I mean you are hear asking, why? Is this out of curiosity or is He drawing you and you are confused?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 08:14 PM

147 posts, read 312,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Do you hear the call from God? Do you feeling Him drawing you? I mean you are hear asking, why? Is this out of curiosity or is He drawing you and you are confused?
Well originally my post was meant for the main forum but I made a mistake and posted it here. Do I hear a call from God? None that I can tell. The only voice that I hear in head is my own. I'd hope if a supernatural being ever chose to speak to me it would use a difference voice so I would be able to tell the thoughts were not mine.

The reason I post here is to gain insight from others on the inner workings of people with and without faith. I'd prefer to be able to go "well thats what they think or feel" rather than "oh here is another Christian trying to convert me". I try to say that I am an open individual and seek out opportunities to learn about the world as well as the people in it.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:33 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Well originally my post was meant for the main forum but I made a mistake and posted it here. Do I hear a call from God? None that I can tell. The only voice that I hear in head is my own. I'd hope if a supernatural being ever chose to speak to me it would use a difference voice so I would be able to tell the thoughts were not mine.

The reason I post here is to gain insight from others on the inner workings of people with and without faith. I'd prefer to be able to go "well thats what they think or feel" rather than "oh here is another Christian trying to convert me". I try to say that I am an open individual and seek out opportunities to learn about the world as well as the people in it.
Then it's not your time if ever. Our job is to just give the gospel; even beg and plead but some of us go to far in our delivery and try to do God's job.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:40 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Also has anyone actually come to a belief theist/atheist by using reason and logic?
I came to my agnosticism by this very means. As I have posted in similar threads, I have always been one who questioned. I don't question just to be contrary, but rather because something either doesn't make sense or I just don't understand. I found, more often than not, that the answer given to me by the priests (yes I was Catholic - left the Church in 1984) or by pastors (during my "born again" phase - done with that by 1994) was rarely a real answer or just led to more questions. As I studied things like church history, the history of the bible, comparison of Judaism and Christianity, actual Hebrew and Greek translations and just general bible study, it became very clear to me that the things that I was taught by the Catholic Church and by the Southern Baptist, AoG and Independent pastors just didn't add up. So, I continue my personal studies with the knowledge that saying "I don't know" is okay.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:12 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Whether you accept it or not, you are in a pretty desperate situation, insomuch as the wrath of God abides on you. Your only hope is the blood of Jesus to wash your curse of death away.

All ungodliness, which includes any willful sin, will be shut out of God's sight, for He is holy.

(Habakkuk 1:13) Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: ...

(Isaiah 35:8) And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it ...
Nice witnessing, although what does this have to do with the thread topic?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:25 AM

222 posts, read 581,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Whether you accept it or not, you are in a pretty desperate situation, insomuch as the wrath of God abides on you. Your only hope is the blood of Jesus to wash your curse of death away.
All ungodliness, which includes any willful sin, will be shut out of God's sight, for He is holy.
(Habakkuk 1:13) Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: ...
(Isaiah 35:8) And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it ...
Why do you believe that this is true? It's just words.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:56 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
I am very logical. I have taken to studying the bible myself and questioning everything that I hear. I have found that I continually become more Christian, more a follower of Christ, more a believer that the bible is literal (i.e. that Genesis happened the way it describes). I have become more zealous and ferverant in my belief.

God says "Come and let us reason together". So I reason. I question each belief I heald and studied the scriptures. Sometimes I sit and read and read for days. Sometimes I do word studies or examine passages. I can deny it not and can only say that the bible is the word of God. The bible is inerrant, in that it truely represents the people and words and times it describes. What the bible says of God is truthful. Sometimes it sounds like God of the OT was mean, but, he is acting in accordance with his nature. He is righteous and demands that from us. When we are not in right standing with God, we must suffer under his wrath. However God is also full of grace, mercy and truth. So, he has made a way for all of us to be able to get in right standing with him. And that way is Jesus Christ.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
Why do you believe that this is true? It's just words.
Everything is "just words"! It is what we do with them that counts. If you reject these words on this basis, that they are just words, what basis do you accept anything as true?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:28 AM

222 posts, read 581,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Everything is "just words"! It is what we do with them that counts. If you reject these words on this basis, that they are just words, what basis do you accept anything as true?
I accept the scientifically created theory that have idea, explanation and profs.
Religion is not scientific, it's not the theory, it's not even hypothesis because it contradict itself, and do not have scientifically legitimate confirmations.
Basically we can't trust to Bible/Koran more then to the story about Santa Claus, Unicorns etc.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:00 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.leviman View Post
I accept the scientifically created theory that have idea, explanation and profs.
Religion is not scientific, it's not the theory, it's not even hypothesis because it contradict itself, and do not have scientifically legitimate confirmations.
Basically we can't trust to Bible/Koran more then to the story about Santa Claus, Unicorns etc.
What are the scientific possibilities of this complex creation coming from completely nothing?

What are the scientific possibilities of God's prophesy regarding Israel becoming a living reality in our day?

Amos 9
6 It is he that buildeth his stories in the heaven, and hath founded his troop in the earth; he that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth: The LORD is his name.
7 Are ye not as children of the Ethiopians unto me, O children of Israel? saith the LORD. Have not I brought up Israel out of the land of Egypt? and the Philistines from Caphtor, and the Syrians from Kir?
8 Behold, the eyes of the Lord GOD are upon the sinful kingdom, and I will destroy it from off the face of the earth; saving that I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob, saith the LORD.
9 For, lo, I will command, and I will sift the house of Israel among all nations, like as corn is sifted in a sieve, yet shall not the least grain fall upon the earth.
10 All the sinners of my people shall die by the sword, which say, The evil shall not overtake nor prevent us.
11 In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:
12 That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the LORD that doeth this.
13 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt.
14 And I will bring again the captivity of my people of Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them.
15 And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be pulled up out of their land which I have given them, saith the LORD thy God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality