Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:54 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times

Advertisements

Once upon a time, billions of years ago, there was a very large explosion. Now, no-one knows exactly what caused the explosion, or exactly how long ago this explosion happened, but it was a very large explosion indeed. Immense pieces of debris hurtled out in all directions from the center of the explosion. The outer edges of the explosion continued to expand further and further into what was previously nothing at all. As the debris moved further from the center of the explosion, some of the smaller pieces began to cool, and some of the larger ones, still burning, began to attract the smaller ones towards them with a magical force called "gravity". This "gravity" caused many of the smaller pieces to circle the large flaming pieces in a set rotation as they all flew through the previous nothing, which we now call the "Universe".

As time(a system used to measure the passing of events) went on, the smaller pieces cooled until just the very centers of them still burned. At least one of these smaller pieces contained a strange fluid over its surface called "water". The small, water covered piece of debris was fortunate enough to be located closely enough to one of the large flaming chunks of debris that it was heated by proximity in its set rotational pattern. There were also disruptions at the core of the small piece of debris that caused a large rocky area to rise to the surface of the "water". Originally one large piece, the rocky area was gradually spread out by the rotation of the debris around the flaming debris, and the fact that the smaller debris was still spinning from the violence of the big explosion. Then something very interesting happened. Out of the rocky areas, multicolored leafy lifeforms began to spring up, which fed on the heat from the flaming chunk, and on the mineral makeup of the rocky areas. These leafy things soon spread to cover the majority of the rocky areas.

The small spinning piece of debris happened to have some of the magical "gravity" force of its own that had pulled it towards the flaming chunk, which held gases at a tolerable distance from its surface to protect it from too much of the larger flaming chunks heat. As the flaming chunk heated the smaller chunk, it sometimes did so unevenly. The uneven heating disrupted the smaller chunk through the gas sheild, and caused air to move around rapidly, called "wind". Sometimes this "wind" would pick up some of the "water" that covered the debris, and dropped out the heavier minerals, one of which was called "salt". The wind then deposited this "salt"less "water" all over the rocky areas, causing the leafy things to grow more abundantly.

At some point, very very small lifeforms developed in the "waters" which were able to move freely from the rocky areas. They developed very quickly and covered the entire globe of the debris chunk almost immediately. Some of them fed on each other, and some fed on the leafy things. They had a nearly magical ability to develop features that allowed them to interact more productively with their environment, and so changed rapidly from their original form. Some even developed appendages that allowed them to crawl out of the "water", and onto the rocky surfaces to seek food. Given the size of the chunk of debris, there were many different environments on the rocky surface, and so the creatures developed very differently from one another.

It was a very violent "time", and only those who developed the best features were able to survive. Many, many years passed in this way, until one day a very fleshy, stubby, ugly creature evolved called "man". Man was different from all of the other creatures in several ways. Man could make decisions about his environment that were not always the best decisions he could have made. The other creatures had senses called "instincts" that made them react to certain situations in certain ways, but Man somehow repressed many of those senses. This caused Man to die in some humiliating ways. But it also allowed Man to come up with some pretty novel ways of interacting with the environment. He was able to fashion things out of the natural materials around him to make himself more comfortable. He called them "tools".

Many more years passed with Man learning how to interact. Man was able to form communities to draw resources from the areas around him. This allowed certain members of those communities to specialize in certain things, so that not everyone needed to do all of those things themselves. Eventually, Man reached a point to where his communities functioned so well that some members became bored and had nothing to do. They called these members "philosophers".

Philosophers had a good job. They were able to sit around and come up with ideas about why everything had happened the way that it did, and what the meaning of it all was. They thought of the possibility of another being that was outside of the big explosion somehow that had caused the whole thing and was watching them. Some members of the community took this idea and ran. They called the possible being "God". They came up with rules that "God" had made for how they should live, and built a box around themselves to protect them from thinking about anything that was outside of the cloud of gases that covered their chunk of debris.

This went on for many, many more years until one day, Man was able to look outside of the cloud of gases and see more of the explosion. They saw that there were many more chunks of debris, and many more that were still flaming. They felt very small. They felt so small in fact, that another group of Man emerged. They built a much bigger box around themselves than the first group. So big in fact, that instead of covering their own chunk of debris, it covered them all. They repudiated the rules that the others said that "God" had made for them, and eventually denied that there even was a "God". "This big explosion happened randomly", they said, "and will all one day be explained as we gather more information". The two groups of ugly, stubby, fleshy things still argue about it, neither side knowing the real truth, both sides dismissing what is possible, neither side looking about what might really be out there beyond the reaches of the expanding explosion.

-The End, (until we all see otherwise).

Last edited by Georgiafrog; 06-24-2009 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 04:05 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times
punctuation is your friend.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
punctuation is your friend.
Capitalization is yours. Thanks though.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:10 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
That's too much to read.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:11 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Capitalization is yours. Thanks though.

I'm just saying when you post a run-on paragraph that long most folks just won't read it. I'm sorry if that's more brutal than honest...but I think others will agree.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I'm just saying when you post a run-on paragraph that long most folks just won't read it. I'm sorry if that's more brutal than honest...but I think others will agree.
Ok. I split it up a bit. Sorry.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:16 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
For once I agree with you kdbrich....Reading something like that is more work than I'm willing to do on a forum.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:34 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Hay Georgiafrog, here's a visual to go along with your bedtime story....

YouTube - The Creation of Universe

Old 06-24-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Hay Georgiafrog, here's a visual to go along with your bedtime story....

YouTube - The Creation of Universe
I was with you until the assumation of a certain human explanation of a creator. I believe that to be a continuous element of the unknown which we bicker about. And I believe that the video reached pretty far in it's interpretations of the Koran. This is all in fun.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:02 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I was with you until the assumation of a certain human explanation of a creator. I believe that to be a continuous element of the unknown which we bicker about. And I believe that the video reached pretty far in it's interpretations of the Koran. This is all in fun.
I quite agree with you on that about the Qur'an, you'll get no argument from me on that. How about I give you another visual without the religious connotation.

YouTube - Hubble Deep Field: The Most Imp. Image Ever Taken (Redux)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality