Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 08:29 PM

32 posts, read 68,475 times

Advertisements

what is your opinion?
i myself believe that it is very insulting especially when it is relating to religion. i really think it is rude when someone comes up to me (whether it is knockingon my door [which is even more insulting] or when im out grocery shopping) hands me a pamphlet, begins to preach and ultimately tells me i will be going to hell because my religion is satanic and that i am wrong.
i am a nice person so i either tell them nicely that i would prefernot to be bothered about those things [which usually gets them ranting] or i take the booklet, say thank you, and walk away.
but it does get old and annoying after a while, very.
anyone have their 2 cents to add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 08:47 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Themis, I agree with you and I get annoyed when someone approaches me and asks if I am a christian and have I been saved. I do try to lead the christian life, and I have found it so much easier if I kind of keep it to myself. I feel that people should be able to tell a christian just by the way they act and by their deeds. I live in what is called the Bible Belt. There are many different denominations here, claiming that if you don't believe in what they do that you are hellbound. For a few years I let their actions turn me away from religion. Needless to say, I suffered the personal consequences of that decision. As of now I have a very personal relationship with God and I don't think I have to push it on everyone else. I only hope that they know me by my actions ans good deeds .

Old 04-15-2007, 08:53 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
It's an invasion of privacy--no two ways about that.

It is also annoying because of the automatic "Oh, I'd like to change you from your completely erroneous beliefs because you're ignorant and deluded...but that's okay, I'll pray for you" bit.

I can't say this is definitely the reason all people prostyletize, but I get a very deep-down gut feeling that says the reason people prostyletize is because if everyone doesn't agree with them, then perhaps they themselves are wrong. Therefore, they have to get as many people as possible to agree with them. I don't know why I feel this way, except that I have never ever gotten off a person coming to my door with a pamphlet that the person really wants to save me. I feel that it's for them, somehow. Because the thing is, the look of disappointment and sometimes even borderline anger is the way a person looks when he or she has lost a game or a bet or something. It is, to me, very, very, very creepy...that flashing-anger-in-eyes-while-still-smiling look when you say, "Look, for once and for all...no."

And especially when you engage in a debate about religion. Look at what happens here. We non-Christians can get pretty rude. But at least we're not pretending to love everyone so much and that's why we're arguing. Push a Christian a hair too far and the unbelievable nastiness comes out...an absoulte fury...as if you've done them wrong by not changing over to Christianity.

This is cemented by the fact that if you do start to get annoyed and say plain and simple that you don't want to go to their church or read their book, chances are you will get the VERY tight-lipped "That's all right. Not all are ready to hear God's message. I only PRAY that you don't neglect THE TRUTH so long that you die before you can be saved. How sad that you wouldn't see your friends in heaven." (insert_snotty_tight_lipped_forced_smile_here) "I'll pray for you."

Old 04-15-2007, 09:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I wanted to add something here because, even with my frequent arguments, I have never flat-out admitted this one truth to the Christians here (or probably any Christians anywhere).

The Bible does have its inconsistencies, to be sure. But you know what? It isn't even the religion itself that keeps me from becoming Christian. It's the people. I am so afraid of the people. They never, ever seem sincere to me. It's always this "preying" stance...like you're their personal mission, and if they can convert you, they win a prize. This makes me very distrustful of motive. It makes the whole thing seem very, very false. Ironically, it is the people, and not the book, that make me feel the religion is false.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:08 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Post yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themis View Post
what is your opinion?
i myself believe that it is very insulting especially when it is relating to religion. i really think it is rude when someone comes up to me (whether it is knockingon my door [which is even more insulting] or when im out grocery shopping) hands me a pamphlet, begins to preach and ultimately tells me i will be going to hell because my religion is satanic and that i am wrong.
i am a nice person so i either tell them nicely that i would prefernot to be bothered about those things [which usually gets them ranting] or i take the booklet, say thank you, and walk away.
but it does get old and annoying after a while, very.
anyone have their 2 cents to add?
When I lived in Boston, several people with pamphlets were trying to help people learn the error of their ways. They asked me if I had made Jesus my personal savior. My father was Jewish, so I told them so. Now this was on Newbury Street in Boston- they have LDS, Hare-Krishna, etc.; but the ones following most pedestrians were the most disruptive. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 04-16-2007 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 04-15-2007, 10:56 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
When I lived in Boston, several people with pamphlets wee trying to help people learn the error of their ways. They asked me if I had made Jesus my personal savior. My father was Jewish, so I told them so. Now this was on Newbury Street in Boston- they have LDS, Hare-Krishna, etc.; but the ones following most pedestrians were the most disruptive. Just my 2 cents.
All I can say is, I'm glad Jews don't believe in "recruiting"! To me it just seems desperate, and somewhat sleazy... not to mention, like others have stated, it challenges & insults my personal beliefs. I don't mind somebody setting up a street-booth, and offering materials TO THOSE WHO APPROACH. But if you harass or follow me, that's when it becomes a real annoyance. I usually just say "no thanks", but if they get really pushy, I'm forced to get pushy in return.

We have this Jewish cultural fair in Palo Alto every year, right before the High-Holy Days begin (September)... and for some reason, the "Jews for Jesus" feel the need to show up EVERY freakin' year to bother us. C'mon now, do they really think anyone's going to convert? Jewish people are typically very secure in our faith, and every one I know thinks of JFJ as a total joke.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:59 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
I tell them to stop bugging me, politely. I don't want to be polite though...

I think it should be illegal frankly. It is nothing more than loitering and solicitation. If I want to join your religion I will come to you.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:55 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Sometimes I'm glad I live in Los Angeles. About 1/2 of the pamphlets I'm handed are written in Spanish and I can't read Spanish so I toss them.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:39 AM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Sometimes I'm glad I live in Los Angeles. About 1/2 of the pamphlets I'm handed are written in Spanish and I can't read Spanish so I toss them.
That annoys me as well.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:02 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
My sister is a Born-Again Christian. She NEVER misses an opportunity to ram her religion down my throat (as well as my Catholic wife's... ), despite YEARS of telling her we're not interested. Many of our Christian friends are just that; friends who understand our beliefs. If anyone will convince me to "see the light" it will be one of them, not my "Hellfire and Damnation" sister. I almost (but not quite) feel guilty about the bumper sticker I have on my pickup truck: THERE IS NO FREEDOM OF RELIGION WITHOUT FREEDOM FROM RELIGION
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality