U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 AM

4,983 posts, read 4,848,589 times
Default After Life or Afterlife??

Why do so many cultures believe in an afterlife?

Did man simply create this idea, because no one wanted to admit that we are so mortal, and so temporary?

No one has had anyone come back and give proof...

Was it out of fear of death, or did they really know something we don't know, like the Egyptians?

If we didn't exist before we were born, then why would we exist after?

If there was a God, why would he deny us the knowledge of this, and keep us guessing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:32 AM

3,334 posts, read 3,058,463 times
I think it is simply a universal human desire to think that we continue on. Death is pretty scary to most folks. For many, it is sad for them to think that "this is all there is". I should think this is especially true for folks who either have had a hard life due to circumstances or people haven't made the most out of it. An afterlife gives folks some sort of hope for something better.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 AM

4,669 posts, read 1,312,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post

Did man simply create this idea, because no one wanted to admit that we are so mortal, and so temporary?

Was it out of fear of death, or did they really know something we don't know, like the Egyptians?

If there was a God, why would he deny us the knowledge of this, and keep us guessing?

Because it makes sense?

And God isn't denying anyone knowledge of it--it's up to you to look at teh evidence presented.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:59 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,419,962 times
Red face I think dubiously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Because it makes sense?

And God isn't denying anyone knowledge of it--it's up to you to look at the evidence presented.

All the evidence was in the past. But the idea fom God was neither the past or the future very often. Therefore, we need to find the possibility for elimination of evidence; in that way, the existence before one's life did not make eternity possible like the existence after Life. The elimination of evidence is the reasonable Necessity of life's finite illusion.

.... Tough one.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:06 AM

4,669 posts, read 1,312,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
All the evidence was in the past. But the idea fom God was neither the past or the future very often. Therefore, we need to find the possibility for elimination of evidence; in that way, the existence before one's life did not make eternity possible like the existence after Life. The elimination of evidence is the reasonable Necessity of life's finite illusion.

.... Tough one.

I have no clue what you just said.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:11 PM

11,441 posts, read 8,474,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I think it is simply a universal human desire to think that we continue on. Death is pretty scary to most folks. For many, it is sad for them to think that "this is all there is". I should think this is especially true for folks who either have had a hard life due to circumstances or people haven't made the most out of it. An afterlife gives folks some sort of hope for something better.
Good post.
Death is certainly scary to those who aren't making the most of this life, because no second chance exists. Believing in an afterlife makes it much easier for the masses to resign themselves to slave away at jobs until shortly before dying.
Believing in an afterlife greatly devalues this life.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:25 PM

4,325 posts, read 3,115,980 times
Quote:

There is all kinds of proof that there is life after this one, however, people are so afraid of looking into it that they actually believe that it's evil. Ghosts are just people who have died and are living on what is called the earth plane. They either have unfinished business or they are concerned for a family member or they just like to scare people. The latter are what most religions call demons.

It isn't proof, but when we had our annual meeting in April of this year, I was holding hands during prayer with one of our channelers. As soon as he started channeling, the hand that was holding his started to tingle and then that whole side. I felt numb in my legs. The feeling was cause by the Celestials energy as he spoke through our medium.

They are real, however, because we have been made to believe that it's evil, we have put the material over the spiritual. When we open our eyes to see and our ears to hear, we'll come closer to peace as the beings teach us and lead us to Heaven on Earth.

We existed as a soul before coming to experience the material world. When we die, we go back to the spiritual.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:51 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,118,779 times
We may never see our deceased loved ones again, bad people may not go to some sort of eternal hell (even if they deserve/d such a fate), and maybe there isn't and never was a God that gave a crap about me, this world, my cat, or anyone else. Our whole lives were spent believing in a lie.

Yikes!....that's doesn't sound very pleasant, does it? No? That's why most people believe in a life after this one, even if it requires great faith.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:46 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,728,277 times
Quote:
I don't think it is either of those.
Humans have the burden of knowing that they and everybody they have ever known will die.
At the same time, it is very difficult for us to conceive of the idea of not living. After all, we exist now, so how could we cease to exist? What happens to us?
For some of us (most?) the idea that we will not exist is rather unbelievable since our current existence is so damn all-encompassing. For that reason, I think, it is easier (and even more natural) to imagine that we will "live forever" in some way or another than to acknowledge that we will eventually go away once and for all.
I think the myriad afterlife scenarios that humans have come up with for ages are the logical results of our biologically ingrained will to live.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:22 PM

6,558 posts, read 8,207,335 times
I agree with b. frank on this particular issue. One thing I'd like to say in regards to the OP:

Whenever I hear the question or phrase suggesting "Man invented religion as a tool to..." or "Man created this idea so..." I usually cringe. The reason I say this is simply because I just don't picture a bunch of ancient tribesmen, early agricultural experimenters or even hunter-gatherers all sitting around and saying to themselves "We need to invent something for the whole of humanity to follow and abide by and then we need to pass it down through generations."

In the same sense that a rumor starts at work or school, whether true or false, no one really seems to know of the originations of said rumor. It seems like out of the blue, an acquaintance says "Hey, did you hear about..." or you happen to listen in on a part of a conversation that goes "Guess what I heard the other day?!"

While these things are often initially devised to satiate someone else's need for attention, they aren't necessarily devised as a plan for the whole of humanity or the whole of whatever organization the rumor floats around in. Once introduced into whatever atmosphere it is released in, these rumors tend to spread from one mind (and mouth) to the next mind (and mouth).

It's not so much a deliberate ploy that a bunch of people all sat around and agreed to start up a nasty rumor (although I have met a few people who actually revel in starting nasty rumors just to watch how quickly it spreads) as it is an initial premise sometimes based on a frail version of the truth that gets taken out of context. The original 'messenger,' the person who tends to initiate the spreading of said item, may have an ulterior motive behind doing so, but I don't imagine it's always with the intention of trying to control massive groups of people - although we cannot necessarily rule that out in some cases.

Thus, I sincerely don't think that the whole of humanity all got together several tens of thousands of years ago and said "Hey guys, you know, we've got some pretty short lifespans in this day and age and things pretty much suck. It's hot, we don't have air conditioning, food is scarce, and we're all dying pretty young. Wouldn't it be nice if we all went back to our individual lives in our villages, caves, and huts and told everyone about this new thing called 'The Afterlife' and 'God?'"

Rather, I tend to think that for a far more primitive time in our human development, we had no other explanation for pretty much anything. To a human being at that time, we could not devise an explanation of why the sun rose each morning and set each night. Clearly, there was some magnificent force behind all of this! How could something so far away, so hot, and so powerful rise and fall each day unless it were being controlled by the hands of something extraordinarily powerful?! To someone without any knowledge of gravity, without any knowledge of the cosmos, how weather formations and patterns come and go, the changing of the seasons, or any other thing of that nature, wouldn't it only seem fair to suggest that their representations of how these things operated were merely indicative of how they themselves interacted with the planet?

In other words, early man was able to manipulate objects such as a plow, was able to water his own crops with irrigation devices, was able to hurl a spear at a wild buffalo for dinner. Because we were able to manipulate the world with our minds and bodies and we were cognizant of that, would it not only seem fair to give our primitive ancestors a bit of credit in thinking that their representation(s) of these God-like figureheads became nothing more than a "Very Big Man" who was operating all of this stuff?

Is it any wonder why ancient rituals were set up to appease this "Very Big Man" so that he would make it rain, make it shine, make it warm or make it cold? If this "Very Big Man" were manipulating the sun and the weather, and our existence was dependent on that, would it not only seem natural to want to make this "Very Big Man" happy? And, as chance would have it, a goat was probably killed over the course of a long drought. The next day it may have rained. The people, perhaps collectively, may have said to themselves "You know, we haven't killed a goat all summer and it hasn't rained all summer either. Yesterday we killed a goat and today the 'Very Big Man' gave us water. I think the 'Very Big Man' likes it when we kill goats." And thus begins a ritualistic ceremony of killing goats to make it rain.

Could we not see these same sorts of things happening in even more barbaric fashion? A young teenager falls into a well during the middle of a drought. All of a sudden, a thunderstorm pops up and rains like the dickens. The people realize that the 'Very Big Man' wants drowned people in order to make it rain. The correlation between the "death by water" of the teenager who fell in the well and the rain coming from the sky would probably have been sufficient enough to start such an idea when no other explanation was available.

So, in essence, I don't necessarily believe or think that the whole of humanity called a summit at the Mountain of Good Olives and said "Let's invent something to control the populace with." Rather, I think the primitive mindset and utter misunderstanding of how their world worked led them to only one conclusion - that they were the subjective minions of a 'Very Big Man' who controlled all the things they were dependent on. However, I think that as a result of this, man has been able to take advantage of this peculiar mindset in people to alter it and change in order to manipulate large quantities of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality