U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,368,173 times

Advertisements

a specie would be most anything that is different kind of thing than another.

Like, I'm human, that is my specie.
frogs are a totally different specie.

Now i might take a bunch of frogs and vie a controlled breading program, come up with a frog of a new color or with a different looking leg and I guess it might be considered a new specie too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:29 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,624,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
All we need is a bit more clarifications, a little effort on your part (a simple google-copy-paste if you prefer).
Nope. The mods have been reminding posters not to cut and paste. So s/he might have to read the material, make sense of it, and type up an original answer.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:17 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,069,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Nope. The mods have been reminding posters not to cut and paste. So s/he might have to read the material, make sense of it, and type up an original answer.
Good thing it a holiday weekend...plenty of time at home on the computer

Old 07-01-2009, 01:43 PM

15,297 posts, read 5,500,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Actually...Darwin was a raging racist.
Neither true nor relevant, but it sure sounds good.

In the context of his time, Darwin was not racist. He was, for instance, highly in favor of abolishing slavery - an institution that was defended a few years later by decent, God-fearing Christians as "the plainest revelation of Divine Law".

Quote:
Evolution smacks of eugenics.
No, it doesn't. The Eugenics movement took a sound scientific principle from biology and used it as justification for their own cruddy political motivations.

If racially motivated genocide and attempts at keeping "undesireables" from procreating had only popped up after the publication of ToS, you might have had the tiniest bit of a point. But it didn't happen that way, so you don't. Freakin' Plato laid out a scheme on how to get the desirables to breed and keep the less worthy out of the gene pool, although he didn't use those words, of course.. And human history is thick with the eradication of those less worthy, at least in the eye of the eradicators.

Quote:
So yeah...he did think that black people were more closely related to apes.
He did. Science has progressed since then.

All of which is utterly irrelevant. Darwin could have stabbed his father, forced his mother to dance on tables, kicked his dog and abused his pet parrot until it agreed to steal for him - he still made one of the biggest contributions to science, ever. As luck would have it, he was pretty much a decent guy, as well.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:14 PM

971 posts, read 1,036,551 times
alanMolstad, thank you but my query was directed solely at kdbrich. He's free to copy your definition if he wants, though I think he'll want something more precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I hope it's ok to copy a couple of sentences from a dictionary, though. I'm not asking for a page-long article, and it makes sense not to alter a technical and accurate definition.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:37 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,275,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
This a non-sequitur...this discussion has nothing to do with Darwin's personal beliefs. Furthermore, Darwin lived between 1809-1182 where people's misunderstanding of race lead to what we perceive today as racist and culturally insensitive ideas. I don't think that is being argued.

Arizona1's comments were made this morning, not in the 1800s. What is their excuse?

I think "raging racist" is a bit of an overstatement (see above), and that whole whole evolution leads to eugenics statement has been shown not to hold much water either.
Are you really going to listen to that comment? Whenever someone repeatedly shows their ignorance regarding evolution, they simply retort to calling every Darwinists a racist and hoping for(or in one particular case, encouraging) other creationists to join in.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:40 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,624,572 times
Quote:
I hope it's ok to copy a couple of sentences from a dictionary, though. I'm not asking for a page-long article, and it makes sense not to alter a technical and accurate definition.
You have a good point.
I would hate to see it get mucked up too much.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:43 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,368,173 times
Quote:
alanMolstad, thank you but my query was directed solely at kdbrich..
Oh I think we all knew that....It's just that the question was just out there needing someone to pay some attention to it....

Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 PM

24,985 posts, read 18,582,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
a specie would be most anything that is different kind of thing than another.

Like, I'm human, that is my specie.
frogs are a totally different specie.

Now i might take a bunch of frogs and vie a controlled breading program, come up with a frog of a new color or with a different looking leg and I guess it might be considered a new specie too.
A species is defined as an individual belonging to a group of organisms having common characteristics and are capable of mating with one another and producing offspring.

For instance if a dog and a cat mated, there would be no dats or cogs produced....Just a lot of claw marks on the poor dog.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:17 PM

227 posts, read 321,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
More incorrect information here. To say that we are descended from Africans suggests that Africans are less evolved than we are. This is not true. I'm not sure where you get the idea that all Africans have leathery palms (I know plenty of white folks with rough palms and I've shaken hands with many black folks with nice soft silky plams!). To say that Africans are dark skinned because they more closely resemble apes assumes that early humans were also dark skinned (something that is to my knowledge unknown). Lastly, whether you intended it or not, this is a somewhat culturally insensitive comment...just saying.
This has nothing to do with insensitive or racial. If you have issues with it then perhaps you should take it up with the anthropologists or paleotologist who illustrate their fossil findings for us. I'm only commenting on what I read and see in science journals. Nobody here can pretend they are not knowing what I'm refering to. Itt's everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill
Instead, we share a common ancestor and descendants of that ancestor migrated across continents. From here, the various groups of early humans were separated by geography and continued to evolve based on their environment. Any differences we see between groups of modern humans is a result of what on the part of the earth that group settled in. This is known as divergent evolution.
It is also not only a evolution change but also a natural selection change. As new white trait came about, many males no doubt prefered the sex with whiter species. This has been brought out in many articles. As more births of lighter skins grew, the darker trait in Europe become less. Here's one quote from the Washington Post - 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Post
"Some scientists said they suspect that white skin's rapid rise to genetic dominance may also be the product of "sexual selection," a phenomenon of evolutionary biology in which almost any new and showy trait in a healthy individual can become highly prized by those seeking mates, perhaps because it provides evidence of genetic innovativeness."
Good article and you can see these same DNA selections today. Howmany times do we see these black athletes getting rich and prefering to marry a white woman. How can natural selection get more illustrated than that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill
The Africans subgroup of early humans evolved to have dark skin to protect them from the sun. Conversely, the subgroup of early humans that settled in Northern Europe did not need such protection and the evolutionary process resulted in them having a relatively pale skin color.

Hope this clear things up for you and you are able to avoid making ignorant and misguided statements in the future!
There is no ignorant misguided statements on my part. If you have an issue then take it up with science as for any imagined racial issues. This is not racial and that is the ignorance of it. Sh*t Happens in evolution. Species loose and often even go extinct. Does'nt mean we should hate others, but often times people do things to themselves or a more advanced civilization does them in. That is the very nature of the selfish gene that science talks about. It's build into the program and there's no fighting or changing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality