Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:42 AM

108 posts, read 438,148 times

Advertisements

It seems like if you look at the entirety of history it would be Christianity. I mean Christianity is still dragging its heels vis-a-vis progress and science - some churches act like they're "progressive" because, after a century of overwhelming evidence discrediting their Iron Age myths they finally concede that yes, we did in fact evolve from other life forms. Lol that's not progressive, acknowledging reality is the bare minimum for even negligible credibility. Earlier there were the Crusades, the Inquisition, the justifications of slavery, the Church's enabling of naziism in the 20th century. In recent times we can look to the Rwandan genocide and Serbia for the effects of Christianity. Closer to home, we have the appalling Republican Party, which more and more has become just a marginalized arm of right-wing Christianity, opposed to all enlightenment values, and stoking the ignorant fears of the hapless yokels who constitute the base of the Party.
Islam certainly has a lot to answer for as well, especially today with radical Islam in Europe where it is particularly virulent. In the past as well you had the Barbary slave trade, as well as irruputions into the Holy Roman Empire.
Some people try to discount from the harm religion does because certain individual religious people did good things - "But what about the Christians who opposed slavery?" for instance. The problem with that argument is causation - if they had been secular humanists from the outset, it is almost certain they would have opposed the bad practice in question, whereas with Christians it's a mixed bag at best so on the whole they do more harm than good. Also, you have to ask yourself "without the ignorance caused by religion, would the harm have even existed in the first place?"

Last edited by austinguy2009; 07-07-2009 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:16 AM

206 posts, read 233,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinguy2009 View Post
if they had been secular humanists from the outset, it is almost certain they would have opposed the bad practice in question
Yeah like the secularists in the Soviet Union, Communist China, North Korea, Cambodia...........

THEY are great believers in freedom

Old 07-07-2009, 08:17 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Kind of baitish.

Anyway there are other things besides science. Many churches do good by helping the sick and homeless.

Still the religion that caused the most harm is the Taiping religion. The Taiping Heavenly Kingdom killed between 20-30 million people. This greatly counterbalances the more positive things they did like ending footbinding or giving food to some peasants. It is also a much higher death-toll than the most reasonable high-end figures for mainstream Christianity. The Taiping religion doesn't seem to have survived the Rebellion.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est la vie View Post
Yeah like the secularists in the Soviet Union, Communist China, North Korea, Cambodia...........

THEY are great believers in freedom
I think you forgot a word there: Secular humanism.
Dictators usually don't qualify as secular humanists.

Secular humanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I think you forgot a word there: Secular humanism.
Dictators usually don't qualify as secular humanists.

Secular humanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In what way do you think they don't qualify?

In their opinion, they are building a better world.

Who are you to say that they are wrong? Isn't that an individual moral judgement?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
I would say humanism has caused more harm.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:48 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I know theist love to characterize atheism and humanism as being religions as opposed to philosophies but it's just a case of bad spin.

re⋅li⋅gion  [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
–noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:51 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Yes, but then you say alot of things that are not associated with reality

Old 07-07-2009, 09:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est la vie View Post
In what way do you think they don't qualify?

In their opinion, they are building a better world.

Who are you to say that they are wrong? Isn't that an individual moral judgement?
I can see that you won't care how I answer.
Are you really implying that the Soviet/communist dictators were Secular Humanists just because they didn't believe in God? If so, then just disregard my response to you. Have fun with the demagoguery, though.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I know theist love to characterize atheism and humanism as being religions as opposed to philosophies but it's just a case of bad spin.

re⋅li⋅gion  [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
–noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
Note that litte word 'esp.' in the definition?

That doesn't mean 'only'.

That means it's probably the most common use of the word, but it's not exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality