Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:08 AM

433 posts, read 964,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
So tell me where it all started, o wise one? Anything you can come up with will be equally "absurd". There's nothing you can come up with that will have any more logic than a Creator.
So tell me who created your creator o wise one?!
Anything you can come up with will be equally "absurd". There's nothing you can come up with that will have any more logic than a creator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 10:42 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,424,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
So tell me who created your creator o wise one?!
Anything you can come up with will be equally "absurd". There's nothing you can come up with that will have any more logic than a creator.
I've come to accept that there are things in this world that we don't know and won't know until we die. There are many things beyond our comprehension. I admit that we don't know where God came from. But that's the difference between us. I know that there are things that we won't ever understand and I accept that.

But when you say that there is no God and that it's impossible for one to exist, you have to refute it with something you KNOW.

You say that you KNOW there isn't a God, but you don't know how we came about being. That doesn't make much sense, now does it.

You can BELIEVE that God doesn't exist, but if you don't know how the universe started, you can't say anything for sure, can you? Believe what you want, but to say that you know for a fact there is no God is impossible.

There are things in this world that are FAR beyond our comprehension. Things we can't ever understand. Yet there's NO chance that there's a God? Hardly.

The chance that there's a God are just as good as the chance that there isn't one. I know I'm not going to change your mind and frankly, I don't care. But you're fooling yourself to sit here and say you KNOW one thing, but can't tell me HOW you know that. You can't prove there's a God, but you can't prove that there isn't one.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I've come to accept that there are things in this world that we don't know and won't know until we die. There are many things beyond our comprehension. I admit that we don't know where God came from. But that's the difference between us. I know that there are things that we won't ever understand and I accept that.

But when you say that there is no God and that it's impossible for one to exist, you have to refute it with something you KNOW.

You say that you KNOW there isn't a God, but you don't know how we came about being. That doesn't make much sense, now does it.

You can BELIEVE that God doesn't exist, but if you don't know how the universe started, you can't say anything for sure, can you? Believe what you want, but to say that you know for a fact there is no God is impossible.

There are things in this world that are FAR beyond our comprehension. Things we can't ever understand. Yet there's NO chance that there's a God? Hardly.

The chance that there's a God are just as good as the chance that there isn't one. I know I'm not going to change your mind and frankly, I don't care. But you're fooling yourself to sit here and say you KNOW one thing, but can't tell me HOW you know that. You can't prove there's a God, but you can't prove that there isn't one.
nope. i never said that i'm 100% sure that "A" God doesn't exist. Very close to 100% but not absolutely 100%. just like i'm not 100% sure there isn't a santa clause or ferries.
you don't know who/what created your God, and yet you believe in your God. same thing no?
again, just because i don't know how the universe started, doesn't mean that a father figure living in the sky did it!
God was created by man in different parts of the world by different peoples/tribes to scare others into keeping them on the more or less right path. that's why there are different religions/gods in different parts of the world. if you think about it, it really makes sense.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:04 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,762 times
Quote:
So tell me where it all started, o wise one? Anything you can come up with will be equally "absurd". There's nothing you can come up with that will have any more logic than a Creator.
A creator, yes quite possibly. Your absurd Bible totem deity? Not a chance..

If there is a creator it is a far more rational being than the man-made fairytale you worship.

You want something far less absurd, look up Deism and Spinoza's God..

Old 07-13-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evidence-is-key View Post
God was created by man in different parts of the world by different peoples/tribes to scare others into keeping them on the more or less right path. that's why there are different religions/gods in different parts of the world. if you think about it, it really makes sense.
Exactly. And all one has to do is a little digging and studying in ancient history to understand how the god of The Bible (and The Bible itself) is just a hand-me down from the Sumerian and Babylonian mythos. Yahweh was a lowly god of war in a much larger pantheon before the Israelites decided to "promote" him to the "one true god" schtick. An idea they likely borrowed from the Egyptian cult of The Ahten (Egypt's attempt at monotheism).

All the religions and gods worshipped on earth are man made fantasies. If there is a true creator, it has not made its presence known to us. It does not write or inspire books (much less faulty, contradictory ones like The Bible) and it does not have sons that it sends down to earth to clean up daddy's messes..

Old 07-13-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
But then, you can't prove that YOUR god is the one, if one exists at all. Yet you insist that this absurd, obscure desert tribal totem you worship IS the one, despite the overwhelming evidence against and the utter lack of credentials on its part.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:52 PM

11 posts, read 9,477 times
If a person thinks the universe was created and should therefore try to talk with or learn about the Creator, I see nothing wrong with praying or other spiritual activities. However, it would depend on what you mean by a wasted life. What would a person do besides pray... would he mate or go skate boarding? Depends on what you think a waste of time is.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJayXJ View Post
If a person thinks the universe was created and should therefore try to talk with or learn about the Creator, I see nothing wrong with praying or other spiritual activities. However, it would depend on what you mean by a wasted life. What would a person do besides pray... would he mate or go skate boarding? Depends on what you think a waste of time is.
well, the point is that since prayer is almost 100% useless, is it considered wasted time/life?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:13 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,424,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
But then, you can't prove that YOUR god is the one, if one exists at all. Yet you insist that this absurd, obscure desert tribal totem you worship IS the one, despite the overwhelming evidence against and the utter lack of credentials on its part.
A. There is no overwhelming evidence against anything. Whether or not you see the evidence I see for it is a different story. Just because you don't believe something doesn't mean there's evidence against a creator.

B. Why is it so important to you people to get on a random message board and call people absurd and idiotic for believing in a creator. It's just as absurd to not believe in anything and to think that we just "happened" to show up here.

This thread was started about whether religion was a waste of life. I could argue that getting really worked up over other peoples' beliefs and spending hundreds of posts on a random message board railing against God is a waste of life.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
A. There is no overwhelming evidence against anything. Whether or not you see the evidence I see for it is a different story. Just because you don't believe something doesn't mean there's evidence against a creator.

B. Why is it so important to you people to get on a random message board and call people absurd and idiotic for believing in a creator.

It's just as absurd to not believe in anything and to think that we just "happened" to show up here.
Who are "you people?"

Why do you fools always assume that everyone who sees through your false god and religion are devout atheists? I happen to believe in the possibility of a creator myself. And I also happen to know that your utterly transparent man-made Bible "god" isn't it. And yes, there is overwhelming evidence your god is not the real deal. The Bible is a good start. NO God worthy of the title SUPREME BEING would be associated with that contradictory error-ridden mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality