Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 11:54 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
1. The bible was written by men--fallible, uneducated, nearly illiterate men. It is a book of myth just as is every other so-called religious text on planet Earth. You will never gain any credibility by using it and other "Christian" sources as your sole source of information. I could care less about the bible, period. Nothing in it is the least bit relevant to me and in fact, I find it highly amusing that people of mainly European descent have put so much stock in the rantings of a Middle Eastern reincarnation mystery cult.

2. Unless your children are in their mid-forties, they are not older than I. I have a degree in Anthropology and am currently in my graduate studies at a major four year University that is renowned for its Anthropology program--what are your children's degrees in? I'm highly shocked that given the unbalanced nature of their mother, they all didn't turn out to be crack-addicted serial killers who sacrifice virginal kittens to their god just for giggles.

3. It goes against my very nature to turn a blind eye to ignorance. I purposely have not replied directly to your posts because frankly, I've found that it's much more enjoyable to ram bamboo shoots under my fingernails than to continue to debate someone whose head is so far up their own posterior that they'll never see the light of day again in this lifetime. However, since you have directed this post at me, I have decided that perhaps I can garner just a tad bit of amusement today by seeing just what sort of deranged nonsense will spring from your keyboard the next time around.

By the way, just so you can get out of the "dogmatic" rut you seem to be in, here's a little link that will help to expand your vocabulary.

Thesaurus.com

Oh thank you for showing up and posting, I was beginning to get a migraine and my eyes are starting to bleed from the shear ignorance and delusion of her posts, I needed something intelligent to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 11:58 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
See, the ignore list is a great thing, but then I miss gems like that!
Did y'all ever see the movie "Carrie"? Just askin'.
Considering I've always had the hots for Sissy Spacek?

Of course.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:58 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Oh thank you for showing up and posting, I was beginning to get a migraine and my eyes are starting to bleed from the shear ignorance and delusion of her posts, I needed something intelligent to read.
Well my friend, I do what I can.....

Old 08-08-2009, 12:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
You can claim it is, but the work that Bill Cooper did shows otherwise.
But you are not into reading anything which may contradict your doctrine of evolution, which has no evidences, and prefer to just scoff, and bluff, but there are thousands of artifacts, historical writings and art which show dino-human interaction.

Bill Coopers' book, After the Flood, can be read for free on internet. He took about thirty years to research and document it. Chapter 11 discusses Beowulf.
After the Flood - MAIN PAGE
So now you're saying that dinosaurs existed as late as the 8th to 11th centuries?

Oh man.

I hate to tell you this sister, but you ain't the sharpest crayon in the box.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:10 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
Throwing hissy fits seems to be the common binding of dogmatic evolutionists who are opposed by those of us who will not fall for their religion of evolution, and who offer evidences of world wide artifacts and histories showing dino-human interaction, from the beginning [certainly the doctrines themselves, of evolutionists, of "how and when and where and why", are not binding them together, as they have no consensus among them].
No, that's called frustration.

Whether your entire posting history is truely delusional, mere trolling, or even some sort of college "social experiment", everyone who has tried to show you that you were incorrect, even respectfully, has been insulted at every turn by you.

You ignore proven facts in favor of proven hoaxes, admitted frauds, and clear charletons.

So no, it is not "hissy fits", it is simple frustration that someone can either be, or act, so purely and purposefully ignorant.

If this is not an act, I sinccerly suggest you look for ways to reconcile your religion with scientific facts, just like most Christians have.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:10 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,970,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Let's get one thing straight, it is not "truth", it is your belief. Thanks.
Well, you say it is not the truth, that's your opinion. Yet the historical accuracy of the Scripture cannot be denied. And that is why when the Bible speaks of anything, one can be confident in it's statements. And when the Bible indicates that dinosaurs did coexist with man, then it should come as no surprise when we discover ancient art which depicts dinosaurs. Consider the link below. You might consider the mosaic from the second century called the Nile Mosaic of Palestrina. It will be found on the fifth page of that link. At the bottom of the page we see men fighting with an obvious dinosaur. Now you tell me. What are we looking at here?

http://www.genesispark.org/genpark/ancient/ancient.htm

Old 08-08-2009, 12:16 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well, you say it is not the truth, that's your opinion. Yet the historical accuracy of the Scripture cannot be denied. And that is why when the Bible speaks of anything, one can be confident in it's statements. And when the Bible indicates that dinosaurs did coexist with man, then it should come as no surprise when we discovered ancient art, which depicts dinosaurs. Consider the link below. You might consider the mosaic from the second century called the Nile Mosaic of Palestrina. It will be found on the fifth page of that link. At the bottom of the page we see men fighting with an obvious dinosaur. Now you tell me. What are we looking at here?

Ancient Dinosaur Depictions
Ok ok, you are proving more and more that you are not separate from the other poster. Someone needs to look into your account. And the have you ever heard of art? Do you believe everything is based off something or can it be just art. And it is already proven that dinos went extinct millions of years ago. While the bible is not proven.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:28 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Is science wrong?
Is the Bible wrong?
If on the arch then where are the dinosaurs today?
The Genesis account of creation shows that God made animals before placing man on the earth. It is possible then that dinosaurs existed and became extinct long before humans arrived on this planet.

Mormon scriptures show that one year where God dwells is equivalent to a thousand years on this planet. Some may deduce from that that this planet may be only six or seven thousand years old. However, a Mormon apostle explained that the creation account does not necessarily refer to "days" but to "periods" of time. This earth then, and the time dinosaurs dwelt on it, from that point of view could be tens of thousands or even millions of years old, with perhaps man arriving only comparatively recently?

Here's an extract from that talk given by a Mormon apostle:

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=cfc76a4430c0 c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7 db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

"Each phase of the Creation was well planned before it was accomplished. Scripture tells us that “the Lord God, created all things … spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth.”

The physical Creation itself was staged through ordered periods of time. In Genesis and Moses, those periods are called days. But in the book of Abraham, each period is referred to as a time. Whether termed a day, a time, or an age, each phase was a period between two identifiable events—a division of eternity.

Period one included the creation of atmospheric heavens and physical earth, culminating in the emergence of light from darkness.

In period two, the waters were divided between the surface of the earth and its atmospheric heavens. Provision was made for clouds and rain to give life to all that would later dwell upon the earth.

In period three, plant life began. The earth was organized to bring forth grass, herbs, trees, and vegetation—each growing from its own seed.

Period four was a time of further development. Lights in the expanse of the heaven were organized so there could be seasons and other means of measuring time. During this period, the sun, the moon, the stars, and the earth were placed in proper relationship to one another. The sun, with its vast stores of hydrogen, was to serve as a giant furnace to provide light and heat for the earth and life upon it.

In period five, fish, fowl, and “every living creature” were added. They were made fruitful and able to multiply—in the sea and on the earth—each after its own kind.

In the sixth period, creation of life continued. The beasts of the earth were made after their kind, cattle after their kind, and everything which “creepeth upon the earth”—again, after its own kind. Then the Gods counseled together and said: “Let us go down and form man in our image, after our likeness. …

“So the Gods went down to organize man in their own image, in the image of the Gods to form they him, male and female to form they them.” Thus, Adam and Eve were formed. And they were blessed to “be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.”

The seventh period was designated as a time of rest."

Old 08-08-2009, 12:50 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
The Genesis account of creation shows that God made animals before placing man on the earth. It is possible then that dinosaurs existed and became extinct long before humans arrived on this planet.

Mormon scriptures show that one year where God dwells is equivalent to a thousand years on this planet. Some may deduce from that that this planet may be only six or seven thousand years old. However, a Mormon apostle explained that the creation account does not necessarily refer to "days" but to "periods" of time. This earth then, and the time dinosaurs dwelt on it, from that point of view could be tens of thousands or even millions of years old, with perhaps man arriving only comparatively recently?

Here's an extract from that talk given by a Mormon apostle:

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=cfc76a4430c0 c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7 db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

"Each phase of the Creation was well planned before it was accomplished. Scripture tells us that “the Lord God, created all things … spiritually, before they were naturally upon the face of the earth.”

The physical Creation itself was staged through ordered periods of time. In Genesis and Moses, those periods are called days. But in the book of Abraham, each period is referred to as a time. Whether termed a day, a time, or an age, each phase was a period between two identifiable events—a division of eternity.

Period one included the creation of atmospheric heavens and physical earth, culminating in the emergence of light from darkness.

In period two, the waters were divided between the surface of the earth and its atmospheric heavens. Provision was made for clouds and rain to give life to all that would later dwell upon the earth.

In period three, plant life began. The earth was organized to bring forth grass, herbs, trees, and vegetation—each growing from its own seed.

Period four was a time of further development. Lights in the expanse of the heaven were organized so there could be seasons and other means of measuring time. During this period, the sun, the moon, the stars, and the earth were placed in proper relationship to one another. The sun, with its vast stores of hydrogen, was to serve as a giant furnace to provide light and heat for the earth and life upon it.

In period five, fish, fowl, and “every living creature” were added. They were made fruitful and able to multiply—in the sea and on the earth—each after its own kind.

In the sixth period, creation of life continued. The beasts of the earth were made after their kind, cattle after their kind, and everything which “creepeth upon the earth”—again, after its own kind. Then the Gods counseled together and said: “Let us go down and form man in our image, after our likeness. …

“So the Gods went down to organize man in their own image, in the image of the Gods to form they him, male and female to form they them.” Thus, Adam and Eve were formed. And they were blessed to “be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.”

The seventh period was designated as a time of rest."
This is a good post. When I was in middle school (Catholic school), I remember asking our Life Science teacher, Fr Melchior (who taught evolution as a fact BTW), how evolution and the eons it took for creation to be where we are today could jive with the Genesis account. He basically gave the same explanation as you posted. That made sense to me. He always said that by days, it does not mean seven, 24 hour periods....not solar days. And, of course there is always the "with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day” (2 Peter 3:8) He made it simple to see how what modern science has shown can peacefully coexist with the Bible.

Though I no longer believe in the Christian god (for many reasons), Fr Melchior's explanation still makes sense (from a literary stand point anyway). I have often wondered what this stubborn insistence on a literal interpretation of the Bible is all about. Why is the fundamentalist's faith so contingent on this YEC belief? It would seem to me that of all the messages of Christianity, falling on my sword about YEC is one of the least important things. Isn't the message of Christianity more about faith in Jesus, forgiveness of sin, and how we treat others? I don't recall once reading about Jesus harping on the age of the earth.

(Awaiting the Catholic bashing from fundamentalists to commence)

Last edited by Fullback32; 08-08-2009 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 12:54 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,455,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Six ordinary days of evenings and mornings, described in the Scripture as of equal length -and certainly are, at the equator; and the first three evenings and mornings had no sun, moon, nor stars.

dragons on day 5, and beheme on day 6, with Adam as the crown and king of the creation.
Day 5 and day 6 were separated only by one evening and morning, 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality