Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The R&P forum is not just for Christianity posts. Now, if there were "tons" of atheists posting "diatribes" in the Christianity forum, you might have a leg to stand on.
There are hindus and muslims here. It's a general discussion on theology, whatever the religion is.

The title reads Religion and Philosophy which means those who appreciate it gather in and discuss.

Technically, atheism is disjoint of religion and must sit outside.

But I have known civil engineers. They are forced to somehow house the restrooms inside a building and keep it sealed. Someone needs it they go in and come out clean. The housemates are gonna go schizo if someone does their stuff in the lobby, say. Perimeters are perimeters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 11:05 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
There are plenty of 'christians' who post constantly in the A&A forums. Personally, I don't go into the Christian sub-forum because of how depressing it is in there.

It's not attention we seek at all, it's discussion. We're allowed to post in here ya know

Regarding the 'bible as fiction', a friend of mine who worked at a book store used to file the bible in the fiction section for funsies

If you've got a question about Christianity, go for it--you're welcome to post in there. likewise, I don't know that anyone should get bent out of shape for Christians posting in the a & a forum (as long as we don't "prosletyze" -- whatever that means).

Old 07-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
There are plenty of 'christians' who post constantly in the A&A forums. Personally, I don't go into the Christian sub-forum because of how depressing it is in there.

It's not attention we seek at all, it's discussion. We're allowed to post in here ya know

Regarding the 'bible as fiction', a friend of mine who worked at a book store used to file the bible in the fiction section for funsies
Well, roger that. There is a sticky thread in there which clearly forbids preaching in that sub-forum.

It's no-fly-zone and I personally respect that and have never indulged in any polemics in that sub-forum.

Now, the OP clearly asserts the Bible is fiction. This is no discussion. This is an assertion and there's no room for discussion

It also begins saying some moderator was offended. If it's being put out atop a thread, despite someone getting offended, what else would you call it other than attention-seeking?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:12 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
There are hindus and muslims here. It's a general discussion on theology, whatever the religion is.

The title reads Religion and Philosophy which means those who appreciate it gather in and discuss.
What part of Philosophy do you misunderstand? Plus, nowhere does it say one must APPRECIATE a topic in order to discuss it.

Quote:
Nope. If anything, atheism is a philosophy.

Quote:
But I have known civil engineers. They are forced to somehow house the restrooms inside a building and keep it sealed. Someone needs it they go in and come out clean. The housemates are gonna go schizo if someone does their stuff in the lobby, say. Perimeters are perimeters
Oh, so one must believe/live a certain way in order to have an opinion on it? Baloney. For example, I'm not a child abuser, but I certainly have a valid opinion on whether it's good or bad.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
What part of Philosophy do you misunderstand? Plus, nowhere does it say one must APPRECIATE a topic in order to discuss it.

Nope. If anything, atheism is a philosophy.

Oh, so one must believe/live a certain way in order to have an opinion on it? Baloney. For example, I'm not a child abuser, but I certainly have a valid opinion on whether it's good or bad.
I'm not surprised. Given that this isn't Latin and there are people here who can't possibly bifurcate between an atheist and an agnostic, why, even interchange one for the other and, of course, corruption being the lingo-scholastico norm, you can buttress your case till they carry that last piece of coal to Newcastle

Old 07-15-2009, 11:33 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
You should try reading it sometime.
And you're assuming.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:34 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
If you've got a question about Christianity, go for it--you're welcome to post in there. likewise, I don't know that anyone should get bent out of shape for Christians posting in the a & a forum (as long as we don't "prosletyze" -- whatever that means).
Websters; pros·e·ly·tize Pronunciation: \ˈprä-s(ə-)lə-ˌtīz\ Function: verb Inflected Form(s): pros·e·ly·tized; pros·e·ly·tiz·ing Date: 1679 intransitive verb 1 : to induce someone to convert to one's faith 2 : to recruit someone to join one's party, institution, or cause

Well, it's handy to show the spelling but it hardly covers what we do here.

Arguably many of us are trying to persuade the others even though we flash our "I am not trying to convert you" card. I suppose it's for the moderators to decide what's proselytizing and what isn't but I'd say it would be posting exhortations to convert to some religion or other, or to deconvert, but without making any discussion point.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Websters; pros·e·ly·tize Pronunciation: \ˈprä-s(ə-)lə-ˌtīz\ Function: verb Inflected Form(s): pros·e·ly·tized; pros·e·ly·tiz·ing Date: 1679 intransitive verb 1 : to induce someone to convert to one's faith 2 : to recruit someone to join one's party, institution, or cause

Well, it's handy to show the spelling but it hardly covers what we do here.

Arguably many of us are trying to persuade the others even though we flash our "I am not trying to convert you" card. I suppose it's for the moderators to decide what's proselytizing and what isn't but I'd say it would be posting exhortations to convert to some religion or other, or to deconvert, but without making any discussion point.

That definition could certainly apply to most of the folks that post on city-data....any of the boards.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:38 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post

Remarkably atheism isn't a religion when it is needed to say it doesn't belong on a religion forum and a religion when it is needed to argue that it is merely a 'Faith'.

Atheists don't think it is a religion at all but theists do, so it should not be excluded from a religion forum. Nor is it a philosophy, but some theists have insisted that it is. So it belongs in a philosophy forum.

"We demand that you can't keep us out!" (Hitch-Hiker's Galactic guide)

Old 07-15-2009, 11:40 AM

35 posts, read 180,278 times
The Bible is history
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality