Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:42 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times

Advertisements

i dont rely on religion, I rely on Jesus Christ the one true and living God, for all things. I dont need religion only a relationship with God himself

Old 04-20-2007, 10:43 AM

244 posts, read 1,092,612 times
I'm really sorry I created this thread. It hasn't gone anywhere nor created the discussion I had hoped for.

My only hope is that you religious zealots do not cast your OPINIONS as fact onto others who wish not to be bothered.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:46 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
we only do so when other non religious zealots try and cast their opinions onto others who wish not to be bothered

Old 04-20-2007, 10:47 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
Well, I've realized that there really is no such thing as intelligent discussion with many of you Christians. When you're not busy hating entire groups of people, or ideas you come up with "stories" as to how your religion saved you.

Spare me! As I stated, I've witnessed more hatred and evil from so-called Christians than any other group of people!
Your 'open-mindness' and tolerance comes into full view. How brave of you to come out into the internet! Hats off.

The more I read into your posts, I dont think its really your lack of belief, but a hatred. No, I dont know you, and it would be silly of me to think I know you personally just by reading your posts. But your language and degradation of Christianity, and particualr bias of Christians speaks volumes. There is no help available (if thats what you want) here on this site, I encourage you to speak with someone in person if you have such questions and feelings about Christianity.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:47 AM

238 posts, read 624,333 times
Quote:
I'm really sorry I created this thread. It hasn't gone anywhere nor created the discussion I had hoped for.

My only hope is that you religious zealots do not cast your OPINIONS as fact onto others who wish not to be bothered.

It hasn't gone anywhere because you set the parameters in such a way that it could go nowhere.

Have a nice day.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:00 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times
Quote:
I definitely believe in a higher power!

But I see religion as something that has done nothing but create carnage throughout the history of mankind, and really think it should be done away with!
Longhorn, man I just don't understand. If I'm sitting here reading your posts you sound like EXACTLY like the folks you most 'hate'.

If you take your posts and basically exchange the words 'religion' and 'Christianity' with 'homesexualality' 'etc' you could have basically copied and pasted them out of posts you so despise.

Let me show you something i posted in another thread a while back...the names of the posters have been changed so as not to draw anyone in to this that doesn't want to be. The thread was "Can you be gay and be a Christian?" Here's my post....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I gotta weigh in on this POSTER A/ POSTER B conflict.

POSTER A: You state in your opinion a person can not be gay and a Christian. I am assuming you claim to be a Christian and must say that if you are, that's really not anything you should even voice your opinion on. One God, One Judge...and it ain't you and it ain't me. I don't want to go into a ton of details or scripture, but would your response be different if this thread were "Can you be a liar and be a Christian?" or "Can you be a glutton and be a Christian?" or "Can you be an addict (meth, sex, caffeine) and be a Christian?" Remember, the only folks that Jesus railed against in Scripture were the folks that thought they were the holiest.

POSTER B: I'm sorry for your friend. Some of these comments to you may sound harsh, but I certainly do not mean them that way. First, if your friend wants to be free, he has to go after it. One thing that walking in the Spirit requires is seeking God fervently. While your friend is certainly free to associate and be friends with whoever he chooses, sharing all he has with you regarding his spiritual struggles obviously isn't very productive. I don't know how you try and help him..maybe something like "God wants you to be happy" or "You can't change who you are." (Both of those statements are arguable but that's a different thread) I don't know what you say. But I know from watching your posts in this and several other threads that if I were truly seeking God to set me free from something, I'd respectfully decline your counsel. Even [name omitted] has said that his faith was strong and he served diligently until he surrounded himself with non-believers. I'm not slamming you or really even criticizing you, I'm just saying that IF a person believes and is struggling, there is biblical evidence that suggests some of their former relationships may need to change or at least the nature of them need to change.

ALL: This post and this topic is one that should be approached with caution from a Christian standpoint. We (Christians) like to dance on this subject and honestly, I think we should deal with the "plank in our own eye before we try and help our brother or sister with the speck in their eye." ( I think somebody famous said that somewhere.) I think I've said in other posts that if two "saved" people get divorced and those same two "saved" people remaried two other "saved" people, then, according to the Word, they are now in an adulterous relationship. By the way, our churches are full of those people. What I'm saying is that while we were/are/will be STILL SINNERS, Christ died for us. All of us. As stated above, the people that Jesus called hypocrites and the 'sons of the devil' were the holiest acting and talking people around. God is the Judge, we are the messengers of Light. We're Salt, and if salt loses its saltiness, then it is worthless.
Please read that. You may not agree with what I say, and that's OK. But particularly the part at the end I would think would give you some solice to know that not all Christians are what you've been exposed to and most of the folks here realize that no matter what you do/say/live/act/think, we are all created in the image of the same God. (That's what we believe, I realize not everyone, but you are really upset with just Christians.)

I'm not showing you that to glorify me or anyone else, I'm just saying that there are instances on this very forum in VARIOUS threads (look for threads hoosier started) where there are many Christians that don't act like you imply we all do.

I'm sorry we've hurt you. And that's sincere.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:16 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
So you're saying Nea's belief is wrong and yours is right.
I didn't mean it that way!! I just don't think HE had a belief HE had the message!! Is that better.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 AM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:

if your intent was to find others to side with you about bashing Christians,and you are disappointed that we who beileve and answered honestly and that somehow us stating our faith is then pushing our belief on you....well then yes you should have never started this thread.

all the carnage Christians have caused?As I said earlier the latest mass murderers expressly said their hate about Christians,targeted Christians.

Made up stories about what made us have faith?Sorry bud but I say who I am with no BS aside.

But yeah you are right its about love love thy neighbor,I luv you man.....

Old 04-20-2007, 11:26 AM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:

ugh think of it this way,all the tv channels available,you come across a Christian tv show,all you have to do is change the channel.

Under what you seem to say is,just because you flipped to that channel it was "pushed" on you.....

Old 04-20-2007, 11:43 AM

111 posts, read 263,386 times
Default In response to Lucidius...

Excellent questions.

(I should have answered them in my first posting!)

The first was this: Am I implying that most Christians turn to Christ out of desperation? No. I am implying even further: ALL Christians turn to Christ out of desperation.

When we realize that we are sinners, and lost on our way to hell, then the natural inclination is to devise a way out. If you're trapped in a car in a flood, the natural inclination is to search for an escape.

However, there is no escape from the stain of sin. We, in our desperation to escape hell, once cognizant of its reality and terror, try to figure out a way to escape, but to no avail.

Romans 3:23, 6:23, and Eph. 2:8,9 and others state this clearly. There is nothing we can do to save ourselves. Now, this: There are certainly different levels of desperation. The little 6-year old who accepts Christ is only accepting Him once he realizes that he can't do it himself, and wants to go to heaven. So he calls on Jesus. What wonderful, childlike faith.

Then there would be a much more desperate cry for salvation once we have searched and fought and argued for our eternal life, but realized that we cannot gain it ourselves when confronted by the truth of scripture. Then, in our most HUMBLE desperation, we cry, "OK, OK! I CANNOT do it! Please! Save me! I don't know why you love me so! But I repent, and I trust you now! Save me, please!"

There are certainly different levels of desperation. But salvation requires a desperate person. One preacher said it this way: "You've got to be lost before you can be saved."

If we think we're ok, we aren't desperately calling on Him. But when the ground is knocked out, we realize that there is nothing we can do. So, like the person trapped in the car in a flood, our eyes begin darting around...

Until they land on John 3:16. That kind of desperation.

The second question had to do with my criticism of other cults.

Notice how I certainly did not bring into the fray my opinions on Catholicism, Protestantism, Pentecostal, and so forth. That is because they are all categorized (according to mainstream belief) a "Christian". I have no problem challenging the other cults of the world, seeing as they have no foundation on the Bible, the only word of God.

The Koran, the Bahgavad Vita, the Way, and others are not the inspired, preserved Words of Jehovah. They are, hence, counterfeits and are lies. I brought that into a Christian forum thread, seeing as if one really is a Christian, then one has no tolerance for the enemies of Christ.

Now, the question was whether or not I had brought my own faith under this kind of scrutiny.

And the answer is yes.

There was indeed a time when I was very very close to giving it all up. To simply retreating from Christianity, and living my life the way I wanted to live it.

Then I looked outside my window. I saw the beautiful world that God has created for ME. I breathed oxygen. I expelled Carbon Dioxide. That, in turn, fed plants. Which are also fed by sunlight. Which comes from millions of miles away. Which certainly didn't come from nothing. (False Science never did come up with an answer for Abiogenesis...but that's another thread)

I thought of the song, "How Great Thou Art". I realized that for me to deny Christianity would be to deny truth. It would be to deny the existence of all that exists, and its Omnipotent and Omniscient Creator. Indeed, how great He is!

I looked in the other faiths. And I even wandered through the cults. Nowhere did I find perfection. The other books and writings and faiths are riddled with error and contradiction, and, unlike Christianity and the Bible, they have no answer for them.

I'll agree to the fact that there are apparent contradictions in the Bible. But that's all they are: Apparent. Once we take a look at context, and use our heads a little, it becomes clear. But the contradictions of other faiths end up in a dead-end rut.

I'll take the Bible over man's writing any day.

There are many other reasons, but to discuss them all would be a grave digression from the topic at hand. I encourage you to continue studying the scriptures, and test them. The Bible actually says to test the scriptures, you know. And I love doing it. Because it always, always comes out on top.

Thanks for reading, friend.

Last edited by spike1611; 04-20-2007 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality