Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:21 PM

353 posts, read 552,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Still accurate.

The Quran is not speaking of seasons in the middle of a section devoted to night/day, so the idea that these paths involve seasons is rediculouse apologestics.

The moon does not fololwo the sun. The moon revolves aroudnt he earth, adn the earth around the sun. The Quran authors were referencing what each and very other human bing on the planet thought, ei a geocentric universe.
Maybe I'm missing something on this. How does a man describing the way he sees things in the sky some how discredit the Quran?
If the Quran were actually claimed to have been written by God this would matter. It's not so it doesn't.
If I look up I see, what appears to be, the sun crossing the sky. What I'm seeing isn't the sun moving but the earth rotating but that doesn't change the perception. So even if the statement is factually incorrect its still true.
Does the sun literally follow the moon through the sky? Of course not. Can it be percieved to do so? Of course.
The sun rules by day the moon rules by night. Not technically a true statement but we all, should, understand the meaning.
I don't have to know all the internal workings of the internal cumbustion engine to know how to drive a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:31 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times
Well, I'm done with this pissing match with an apologist.

When you're back in Reality look me up. We have cookies.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence View Post
If I look up I see, what appears to be, the sun crossing the sky. What I'm seeing isn't the sun moving but the earth rotating but that doesn't change the perception. .

another scientific fact from the quran

this verse indicates that the earth rotate

"Thou seest the mountains and thinkest them firmly fixed,
but they pass like the passing of the clouds,
(such is) the artistry of God, who disposes of all things in perfect order,
for he is well acquainted with all that ye do. (The Noble Quran, 27:88)"

Old 08-01-2009, 09:11 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence View Post
If the Quran were actually claimed to have been written by God this would matter.
The Quran is a record of the exact words revealed by God through the Angel Gabriel to the Prophet Muhammad. It was memorized by Muhammad and then dictated to his Companions, and written down by scribes, who cross-checked it during his lifetime. Not one word of its 114 chapters, Suras, has been changed over the centuries, so that the Quran is in every detail the unique and miraculous text which was revealed to Muhammad fourteen centuries ago.
Understanding Islam and the Muslims - What is the Qur`an?

Old 08-01-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
another scientific fact from the quran

this verse indicates that the earth rotate

"Thou seest the mountains and thinkest them firmly fixed,
but they pass like the passing of the clouds,
(such is) the artistry of God, who disposes of all things in perfect order,
for he is well acquainted with all that ye do. (The Noble Quran, 27:88)"
No, that indicates erosion, not movement.

If you're going to make unfounded, outlandish claims upon cherry picked quotes, at least be SOMEWEHERE in the ballpark.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
The Quran is a record of the exact words revealed by God through the Angel Gabriel to the Prophet Muhammad. It was memorized by Muhammad and then dictated to his Companions, and written down by scribes, who cross-checked it during his lifetime. Not one word of its 114 chapters, Suras, has been changed over the centuries, so that the Quran is in every detail the unique and miraculous text which was revealed to Muhammad fourteen centuries ago.
Understanding Islam and the Muslims - What is the Qur`an?
...Unlike the claims made by many Muslim scholars, the Mus-hafs that exist today and around the world are not the same as many of them still carry the human errors that were not corrected. They do not match word by word or letter by letter and they are not what God promised to preserve and protect. Even after God revealed to the world the perfect measure to the accuracy of the written Quran in 1974, the majority today refuse to adopt it and for that reasons they actually are refusing the words of God in His own book. ...

...Prophet Muhammad was the first to write down the Quran revealed to him and when he died , the whole Quran was completely written, although not in one book, but rather on pieces of woods, papers, palm leaves, bones…etc. It was the first Khalifa, Abu Bakr who collected the Quran into one book. The manuscript on which the Qur'an was collected, remained with Abu Bakr and then with Umar (the second Khalifa), and after him, it remained with Hafsa, 'Umar's daughter and one of the Prophet's wives ....

...Comparing the Egyptian edition to the oldest available Quran, the Tashkent Quran, will show that there have been many human errors in the Tashkent Quran that has to be corrected when the Egyptian edition was made. The errors were obvious because the Quran has always been completely memorized and kept in its oral transmission to these days and can be verified against any written book....

Preserving and protecting the Quran- Human errors in the early manuscripts of the Quran- God's promise in the Koran-Tashkent-Quran-Koran-Samarqand Manuscript -Istanbul-Turkish-Cairo-committee-Topkapi Museum Quran koran-Mathematical Miracle of the Qur
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality