U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 04:10 PM

15,713 posts, read 7,892,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Try reading it with an unbiased eye, and see if it reads as though one person wrote it...It's a mess.
I have to agree. No-one could suppose that the same person who wrote Job wrote Ecclesiastes. And the New and Old testaments are two wholly unrelated books. As unrelated as the Gospels and the book of Mormon. And John is totally a different style from the synoptics. and Luke and Acts is quite different from Mark and Matthew. And Matthew is obviously not the same person as Mark as why write the whole thing again?

No, only someone with a mental image of God as author could possibly fail to note the differences in style and content. But that mental image of God means that it is impossible for them to read with an unbiased eye.

The amusing thing is, that theists ask us to read the Bible with an open mind. That is the one thing they are incapable of doing.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:22 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,028,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Everyone in every culture in every time is without excuse, for not believing in God.
Actually they all believed in Gods that are just as (in)valid as yours. In fact, your god is a direct descendant of some of those ancient deities.
So put that in your pipe and smoke it..

Quote:
We do not trust the bible translators. That is why we are constantly studying every translation, every ancient document, every cultural, social nuance we can discover.

The originals are God breathed, that is why they are perfect. The documents we have today show that God had a hand in their making. The bible was written by forty writters over 1500 year period, yet it reads a if one person wrote it. And it was one person, God.
Isn't it amazing how incompetent your god is? Despite being a so called "supreme being" he always seem to have to do things the hard way, and all too often requires fallible humans to get the dirty work done.

He supposedly can create the universe in a day - yet requires a 150 day long global flood to wipe out a few insignificant, sinful primates. To save the animals, he must enlist the services of a 900 year old geezer to build an absurd ark. To forgive the world's sin he must send his "son" to die horribly..

And to top it off, he can't write his own holy book/biography himself and keep it intact through the ages, without the help of 40 writers over a 1500 year period without it becoming a ridiculous work of obvious fairytales riddled with contradictions, errors and lies. Oh my..

I mean, any REAL GOD worthy of the title could handle all those things himself. A REAL GOD would simply POOF those sinful primates away, forigive the world's sins with a word, and place indestructible, perfect copies of his holy word in shining gold temples on every continent.

Nope, I'm afraid your god is not qualified for the position. Sorry..

Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 PM

20,330 posts, read 8,757,217 times
Quote:
This man examines the bible in great detail....Decide for yourself if there are contradictions or not.

About the Holy Bible
by Robert G. Ingersoll

About the Holy Bible
Excellent reading!!!!!!!!! Many thanks for this insightful and intelligent manuscript. The author was light-years ahead of his time.

I am quoting a part of this article that I found especially true.

Quote:
This book is the enemy of freedom, the support of slavery. This book sowed the seeds of hatred in families and nations, fed the flames of war, and impoverished the world. This book is the breastwork of kings and tyrants -- the enslaver of women and children. This book has corrupted parliaments and courts. This book has made colleges and universities the teachers of error and the haters of science. This book has filled Christendom with hateful, cruel, ignorant and warring sects. This book taught men to kill their fellows for religion's sake. This book funded the Inquisition, invented the instruments of torture, built the dungeons in which the good and loving languished, forged the chains that rusted in their flesh, erected the scaffolds whereon they died. This book piled fagots about the feet of the just. This book drove reason from the minds of millions and filled the asylums with the insane.

This book has caused fathers and mothers to shed the blood of their babes. This book was the auction block on which the slave- mother stood when she was sold from her child. This book filled the sails of the slave-trader and made merchandise of human flesh. This book lighted the fires that burned "witches" and "wizards." This book filled the darkness with ghouls and ghosts, and the bodies of men and women with devils. This book polluted the souls of men with the infamous dogma of eternal pain. This book made credulity the greatest of virtues, and investigation the greatest of crimes. This book filled nations with hermits, monks and nuns -- with the pious and the useless. This book placed the ignorant and unclean saint above the philosopher and philanthropist. This book taught man to despise the joys of this life, that he might be happy in another -- to waste this world for the sake of the next.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 PM

1,632 posts, read 2,221,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Actually they all believed in Gods that are just as (in)valid as yours. In fact, your god is a direct descendant of some of those ancient deities.
So put that in your pipe and smoke it..

Isn't it amazing how incompetent your god is? Despite being a so called "supreme being" he always seem to have to do things the hard way, and all too often requires fallible humans to get the dirty work done.

He supposedly can create the universe in a day - yet requires a 150 day long global flood to wipe out a few insignificant, sinful primates. To save the animals, he must enlist the services of a 900 year old geezer to build an absurd ark. To forgive the world's sin he must send his "son" to die horribly..

And to top it off, he can't write his own holy book/biography himself and keep it intact through the ages, without the help of 40 writers over a 1500 year period without it becoming a ridiculous work of obvious fairytales riddled with contradictions, errors and lies. Oh my..

I mean, any REAL GOD worthy of the title could handle all those things himself. A REAL GOD would simply POOF those sinful primates away, forigive the world's sins with a word, and place indestructible, perfect copies of his holy word in shining gold temples on every continent.

Nope, I'm afraid your god is not qualified for the position. Sorry..
Oh my, that is a great summation! So true and so funny!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 PM

20,330 posts, read 8,757,217 times
Quote:
Everyone in every culture in every time is without excuse, for not believing in God.

We do not trust the bible translators. That is why we are constantly studying every translation, every ancient document, every cultural, social nuance we can discover.

The originals are God breathed, that is why they are perfect. The documents we have today show that God had a hand in their making. The bible was written by forty writters over 1500 year period, yet it reads a if one person wrote it. And it was one person, God.
Believe it or you go to hell, right?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:04 AM

13,856 posts, read 13,853,692 times
Quote:
To begin with, I don't know where you got that figure .5%, or what you mean by it, but 16.1 % of people in the US are non religious, and it is the fastest growing group both in absolute terms and percentage. Your theory that atheists are joining religions en mass is false. Where do you think all these new non religious people are coming from?
I don't think you understand the statistics of this country very well. If it's 80% Christian it really can't rise by 16-20%. Atheism or the unaffiliated can rise while still having a low retention rate because they're starting at a lower point. Although many other things can too. All you need is more converts coming in than born-blank leaving. If only .5% of people are raised atheist, and 60% of those dump it, atheism could rise so long as just 1% of Christians become atheist. Or if 1% of people are raised atheist and 60% dump it, atheism could rise so long as 2% of Christians join it. Or whatever.

Besides which most irreligious people do not identify as atheist. ARIS places the figure for atheists as high as 12%, but many or most of those people do not identify as atheist. They don't believe in God yet they don't like what atheism represents. I think some of what it represents in the public is an increasingly narrow rationalism and proselytism. Many of these people don't care what others believe so long as they're not bothered, but that no longer seems to be the "Atheist" way.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 AM

13,856 posts, read 13,853,692 times
Quote:
No, it is the fastest growing religion...Here is a list of the fastest growing religions world wide.

Islam
Growth rate: 1.84 percent, Adherents: 1.3 billion

The Bahai Faith
Growth rate: 1.70 percent Adherents: 7.7 million

Sikhism
Growth rate: 1.62 percent Adherents: 25.8 million

Jainism
Growth rate: 1.57 percent Adherents: 5.9 million

Hinduism
Growth rate: 1.52 percent Adherents: 870 million

Christianity
Growth rate: 1.38 percent Adherents: 2.2 billion

Foreign Policy: The List: The World’s Fastest-Growing Religions
This is true, but Islam is mostly rising by birthrate. Although nations like Iran or Tunisia have seen great drops in fertility rate even many "modern" Muslim nations, like Saudi, remain very much above replacement. Of more significance is high fertility rates in two large, poor, Muslim nations of Pakistan and Nigeria. So we're seeing Muslim nations getting larger as much or more than anything.

Human Development Report 2007/2008 - Fertility rate, total (births per woman)

Old 07-21-2009, 08:48 AM

9,621 posts, read 6,912,231 times
Default The Death of Christianity.....

Quote:
Islam is not on the increase, it is declining!
You should only hope. Sorry. If I wanted to take the time (which you're welcome to do) check out the web for all the stats on the increase in Islam worldwide, and not only that, but the conversion from Christianity to Islam in Africa and the middle east.

Imagine that: conversion from Christ in the land of His birth! it's because there's less conflict and more common sense in Islam. Not that I buy any of this theist mythology cr@p mind you.

Oh h$ll; I took the time anyhow; I hate to see you misinformed or delusional, NIKK...

Christian Apostasy = Rise of Islam Flee the Wrath

MINARETS VS. STEEPLES --THE RISE OF ISLAM OVER THE SKIES OF EUROPE | Creation of Eurabia and Muslim Invasion | Real Clear Religion

The American Spectator : Christian Fall, Muslim Rise

These are just the first three of many. Sorry, NIKK; it's true. Too true.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:31 AM

24,878 posts, read 18,325,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This is true, but Islam is mostly rising by birthrate. Although nations like Iran or Tunisia have seen great drops in fertility rate even many "modern" Muslim nations, like Saudi, remain very much above replacement. Of more significance is high fertility rates in two large, poor, Muslim nations of Pakistan and Nigeria. So we're seeing Muslim nations getting larger as much or more than anything.

Human Development Report 2007/2008 - Fertility rate, total (births per woman)
And your point is?

Christianity

Growth rate: 1.38 percent
Adherents: 2.2 billion
Behind the trend: High birthrates and conversions in the global South

Old 07-21-2009, 06:29 PM

2,739 posts, read 5,519,164 times
Wow...we've really kinda got off topic from the OP...

Does the Bible have, or not have, errors and contradictions? If it does, who can post an example? (not just an opinion)

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality