Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:15 PM

147 posts, read 312,849 times

Advertisements

Lately I've noticed a lot of threads be closed for being off topic. Personally I feel philosophy is like a spider web and when you pluck one string all strings resonate... so in a sense all topics are valid.

So here I would like to start a thread that has a topic that is amorphous. Something that follows the stream of consciousness of the discussion. Maybe this could be a study of thought/argument evolution (oh no!). Feel free to hijack this thread whenever you want. We can go from talking about the existence/nonexistence of God to ponies... doesn't matter to me.

So I'll start us off with a simple question... What do you feel is more important in a discussion?

Being shown that you are right... or shown that you are wrong... or something else and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I have a tendency to wander off-topic. Not intentional, but could probably be that ADD thing I've always had. Some threads spiral off into off-topic little veins that were interesting and healthy; others turn into Generation Duh babbles of nothing.

Sometimes I seek info. Others are simply sharing opinions in insignificant topics. I've scaled way back on heavy stuff. I don't convince easily; in fact, in 1-1/2 years, I do not believe I've changed my mind on anything from City-Data forums.

Also, I do not continuously post on threads. I may add a second posting, possibly even a third, but it ends there. Not interested in "arguing" and I lose interest in the subjects after awhile. But it's fun to surf through the various topics.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajeck View Post
Lately I've noticed a lot of threads be closed for being off topic. Personally I feel philosophy is like a spider web and when you pluck one string all strings resonate... so in a sense all topics are valid.

So here I would like to start a thread that has a topic that is amorphous. Something that follows the stream of consciousness of the discussion. Maybe this could be a study of thought/argument evolution (oh no!). Feel free to hijack this thread whenever you want. We can go from talking about the existence/nonexistence of God to ponies... doesn't matter to me.

So I'll start us off with a simple question... What do you feel is more important in a discussion?

Being shown that you are right... or shown that you are wrong... or something else and why?
I feel the most important thing for me in any discussion is learning something new, about people especially.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:33 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Objectivity. The point gets lost otherwise, people lose credibility and the respect of others. For me, life is a constant learning process. If I'm wrong, I absolutely want to know about it. I appreciate when people agree with me, but we are all products of our life experiences, so it isn't necessary that they do so.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:13 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
Quote:

Not necessarily being shown right or wrong, but being shown a concept you never considered before.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:43 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
I never really thought much of ponies. Most of the ponies I've seen really don't seem that "cute" to me. Most of them are spotted, ugly and not very appealing to the eye. Granted, I'm sure someone will prove me wrong with various pictures of "cute" ponies but I tend to think that full grown horsies are not cute but majestic and beautiful.

See what I mean?

Ugly Pony

Nice Horsie

Old 07-28-2009, 07:45 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
I like all people. I have friends from all over the world and I learn a lot from them. Culture, needs, thoughts and upbringing. I just like to interact with others and the subject isn't important.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:22 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:

It's much more significant to me if I'm shown to be wrong, than if I am right. You see, if I believe I am right about something, and I am not, then I am obviously either deluded, mistaken, or not as educated as I need to be.

If someone can prove to me the error of my ways, then it isn't a shameful thing, it's an opportunity to improve myself and my knowledge. Change and improvement is a good thing!

This isn't to say being right is a bad thing, though. It's very satisfying.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:13 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
Being heard. Learning something new, and perhaps finding a like minded friend. Mild bickering is to be expected, but the screamfests send me to other threads. Playing "smarter than thou" games is a little pointless. I prefer graham crackers and milk to a verbal battlefield, but I see no reason to back down when people (or I ) become a tad unruly. It's all a growing process.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:15 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
I agree with you Mercury. I like to be shown if something I'm doing is wrong so that I can make it right.
Of course, I'm never wr.. wro... what's that word? Wr...wrong. Got it!! (Kidding)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality