Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:27 PM

111 posts, read 595,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

you cant outrun karma...its best to do good deeds and be as honest as you can,,,
It's not "Karma" that someone needs to be careful about, it's doing the wrong thing, and then having to suffer the consequences via God. For example if you're a Christian, and you deliberately cheat someone, chances are you're going to reap what you have sown, and it will be much worse than the person you cheated. God knows what you've done, and consequences will follow... "Be careful that your sin don't find you out."

Okay, that's my spiritaul viewpoint for the day...

Back to topic, Posters who actually post things that shows their immoral behavior, really should watch what they post... It's sad, but on forums people really sometimes show their real color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 12:36 PM

23,001 posts, read 34,309,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FROMCATOGA View Post
It's not "Karma" that someone needs to be careful about, it's doing the wrong thing, and then having to suffer the consequences via God. For example if you're a Christian, and you deliberately cheat someone, chances are you're going to reap what you have sown, and it will be much worse than the person you cheated. God knows what you've done, and consequences will follow... "Be careful that your sin don't find you out."

Okay, that's my spiritaul viewpoint for the day...

Back to topic, Posters who actually post things that shows their immoral behavior, really should watch what they post... It's sad, but on forums people really sometimes show their real color.
I agree with you. I don't believe in "karma" but I do believe in sowing and reaping.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:25 PM

282 posts, read 1,262,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
You've missed the point completely. The subject is basic. If you are told by someone that he or she has cheated someone else, according to your postings, calling him or her on it is "pompous, self-righteous, and holier than thou".
So your apparent solution and preference is to ignore any deceit or dishonesty because to call someone on it is "judgemental".
I'll bet if it were you who was the victim of someone taking advantage of you your tune would change in a heartbeat.
Ex. You set your purse next to you on a commuter train to use both hands for something else. In that purse is your wallet with let's say $100 and all your ID. You've become distracted by whatever you're thinking about and lose track of where you are with train stops...just suddenly realizing you're at your stop and you have to scram to make the doors before they close.
In doing so, you forgot your purse.
The train goes on.
At the next stop someone takes the seat you vacated and notices the purse and opens it up and sees your ID and cash and whatever else you have in it.
That person is one of two types of people: Honest or dishonest.
If you're lucky the person is honest, he or she will use your ID to call you and tell you he or she has your purse and work with you to make arrangements to pick it up. Tell me you wouldn't be grateful and relieved?
But then again, like some posters here, you may be unfortunate in who sat in your vacated seat and found your purse. It may be a person who sees it as "finders keepers". Your ID then means nothing and at that person's stop, it gets tossed into the trash.
The $100 is a lucky bonanza for this person and he or she has no hesitation to stick it into his or her own pocket...after all, finders keepers and weren't you the stupid one to not better protect your property to begin with.
Hmmmm, credit cards...let's do some spending, after all, finders keepers.

Which person are you? Let's say the police somehow catch this person...are you going to judge him or her as immoral? Or, does that conflict too much with your "holier than thou" stance on judgement?

I think you need to ask yourself those questions and put the topic into perspective instead of unilaterally declaring all judgement as pompous, self-righteousness, holier than thou, etc.
You would sing a different tune if you were the victim, but.... you'd also be a hypocrite. So if it were to happen to you judging by your postings here, the lost purse on the train scenario, for you to maintain your integrity and not be a hypocrite, you'd have to say to yourself: "Oh well, that's life" and move on.
Somehow I doubt that would be your reaction.
Okay, now you're the one that's missing the point. Your original post, before it was edited......you, for all intents and purposes, implied that the person that posted the topic that you were referring to was all but a human being. You were going off on that person like they were trash. Thus, I believe, the edit for personal attack explanation.

That's what i'm referring to in judging a person and their actions. I really don't remember anyone in that topic applauding, as you put it, what that person did. People did go off about it. Just not everyone went off like he/she should have been put the dungeon for it. From what I remember, everyone was telling him/her (can someone please help me there, was that person male or female??? ) that they shouldn't have been doing what they did and they should make things right with the neighbor.

Telling someone that what they're doing is wrong, fine. I have no issue with that. Making it sound like you are the judge, jury and executioner is wrong.

As for the losing a purse thing? First of all I don't carry a purse but for arguements sake, i'll go along. What I would do is check with lost and found. If it wasn't there........will my life be any shorter because of it? No. Would I be angry? Yeah, at myself for not paying attention to my things and that my own braincramp will have caused me big headaches in having to cancel credit cards, etc. If it involves my life, i'll worry about it. Otherwise, no. I don't let things bother me. Life is too short for that.

Should the police catch this person......bonus for me. But i'm not going to judge them. That's up to the law. What if it were a person that was living on the street? That had nothing. I would say keep the $100. If it were a drug dealer......let the law handle it. Let them pay for what they did, maybe go to rehab and get their life back in order. I'm not on this planet to pass judgement on anyone. Like the song says, "I'm here for a good time, not a long time".

Old 04-24-2007, 11:37 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,704,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I think the only thing I have posted that I did wrong was trick policemen who have pulled me over in the past...but I also did admit that it was over 10 years ago, and that I know it is wrong now, but I was much younger and dumber then.

I don't even think I want to read that post.
I'm not picking on you here mrshvo and this post is not directed at you either, it's the last line that got me thinking. How many times have you said something to someone and wished you hadn't. Or maybe didn't care and thought "good! they deserved it." Words are powerful and can pierce the soul.

"Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt." One of the most untrue sayings in our language.

Here's the worst part of it for everyone here. Now you can see how your words effect others. Your words are cemented into this forum...you only have 90 minutes to change your mind and edit, or forever hold your peace.

Have you gone back and read some of your posts? Even though you may not care about how others view you, how would you react if people you knew read what you wrote?

Choose your words wisely, whether here or in RL. You have the power to effect many people's lives with gossip, slander, hatefulness and the list goes on...but also remember that you can effect many people's lives by the love, encouragement and words of blessing you can sow in their hearts. I've heard it said that it takes 10 nice words to rub out 1 wrong comment.

My positive comment for you all: I so enjoy everyone here. It is such a unique group of people who have and continue to enrich my life and stretch my faith. I've changed dramatically because of the interaction in these forums. And when I say everyone, I really do mean everyone. I am the guy who if was ever team leader for a sport would make sure the guy who is always picked last...gets picked first.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:16 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,697,077 times
Default Wow, can they really lose the bubble.......

This thing started with some grousing about a mistake in making change for a sandwich and a normal reaction to a stupid slury clerk.

And it then managed to escalate into all sorts of mischief to include High Crimes and Misdemeanors, none of which were actually associated with the original event or person. But by inference many of those more serious crimes or allegations or what an immoral or dishonest or corrupt person would do, then got reflected back onto the OP and attempted to tar that event in the same color.

Wowzer, can these New Left Progressive Moral PC types spin a mean web. H,mmm should we not have a Buzz Speak symbolism to note they are at work. Sort of like how the @ sign works. NLPM-PC could work but is that too long. Maybe something like the "Sic" designator. Somehow we are going to have to start to flag this practice.

I doubt this is anything to do with ethics, morality or good olde clean living. Always started to sound more like one of them jokers on a soap box in Hyde Park, you know the ones that ramble on about Stink Bombs and how Hilter loved dead cats for lunch. Real straight logic type affairs with clear clean sets of logic and easy to follow principles.

Yup, I might have stuffed the dough in my shirt pocket too. Had it happen where I just not sure myself, when in doubt let the chips and greenbacks fall on my side. Also been cheated myself more times than I can count by rigged scanners and grocery stores. Should not the NLPM-PC go on the war path after those evil doers? I also want the TV preachers to get down on all that scanner scams, that is real World cheating on a major scale.

If a lil lady in Florida can cause this type of fuss, can you imagine the grief and tears it will cause when the purloined millions and potentially billions of unfairly gained dollars from our hands is discovered. And yup those old nasty scanner boys will claim it was all a mistake and small misunderstanding.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:22 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,479,157 times
[quote=Hoosier_guy;623095]

Have you gone back and read some of your posts? Even though you may not care about how others view you, how would you react if people you knew read what you wrote? QUOTE]

Hoosier, is that meant for me to go back and reread my posts?

Old 04-25-2007, 02:36 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,350,919 times
This thread reminds me of the exercise we did in elementary school where we would line up and whisper a phrase into our neighbors ear. By the time it made it to the end of the line, it was so distorted that it wasn't even remotely close to the original. Am I getting close? :-)

In keeping with the original statement - morality is an issue everywhere and it is a growing problem. I worry about this. When is it not acceptable to lie? When is it not acceptable to steal? It is, therefore, sad when we see this on the forum. We can not expect to hold people any higher because they are here.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:45 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,704,460 times
[quote=mrshvo;625783]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post

Have you gone back and read some of your posts? Even though you may not care about how others view you, how would you react if people you knew read what you wrote? QUOTE]

Hoosier, is that meant for me to go back and reread my posts?

No, not at all. Like I said, the last sentence got me to thinking. I'm not suggesting you re-read your posts. Not at all. And it is GOOD to see you here. I've seen you around, but it's been awhile since we've had a chance to say hey. So, hey!

Old 04-26-2007, 03:38 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,547,368 times
I don’t think this is the place to be judging or forming unjust opinions of people on what they say on here, a couple of comments whether right or wrong doesn’t mean that we should totally condemn a person.
We have no idea what type of person it is when we read a post so how can we judge him or her by a few posts, your neighbor next door or down the street that you believe to be a good upstanding person may very well be a real snake in the grass that you have no idea of, anybody as far as that goes.

True statements were made but the way I look at it was the person tried to correct the situation but after a few attempts just said well ok that’s the way it’l be then, we all cheat a bit here & there, speeding is against the law & dangerous to innocent people but we do it & it’s accepted, we do things in haste at times then look back at it and think boy I shouldn’t have done that, the old saying of well what if everyone did that is true in a sense but yet the person that sets out to change the entire world to make it a better place often finds that it’s not possible and quickly realizes that his or her efforts have done nothing and could have put that time to a better constructive use.

No two people are alike in there actions, thought processes, and beliefs, these type of things can turn to hate & jealousy within the person trying to be judgmental or uphold his/her beliefs upon the other, if one were to just bring it to anothers attention tactfully then that would be acceptable to the other person in most cases not forcing the other to take a defensive stand & possibly step back & take another look at the situation.

People jump to conclusions often to quickly without really looking more deeply into things & without all the actual facts, there’s a thread on here now lawn obsessed , it quickly goes from just a picky guy possible a** hole to bully to a possible killer then to unstable very dangerous person, all that from just a few paragraphs, the guy may have a few problems but may not, you certainly can’t say one way or another just by reading something on here.

There are many things in this world that are not right but society has a way of balancing these things out so it’s not all one sided to become all bad, if we look hard & long enough we can find faults in each & every poster on this board, we’re not put here to be judge, jury, & conviction.
I’ll use myself as an example, most have already formed an opinion of me based on my posts, what those opinions are I have no idea, ninety percent of my posts are joking around, some may think I’m a total idiot posting total nonsense of no importance, truth being I happen to be a highly intelligent individual, now with that statement the next opinion of some will be boy this guy thinks he’s better than us what right does he have calling himself better when he doesn’t even know us, then I’ll have the challengers coming forth, then opinions may change, all being made & not having a clue of my actual self as compared to a physical knowing of myself, I could make one statement claiming to a land developer tearing down mountains for home developments and most of tn & nc would come down on me real quick, I have opinions of several on here but I can’t let those opinions override my better judgement based on a few posts & let it turn to hate, anger, & discontent against those, if meeting these individuals face to face having a conversation my opinion would totally change & I would be saying to myself boy did I misjudge this person.

Now with this being said are you going to be disappointed in a poster, despise them, have anger against them if they were to post that they are a car salesman & deceive, mislead people into believing they just got a really great deal on their new car, not all do this but some do, the list of these type people can go on & on, if you have those feelings for each & every one your going to wind up having a lot of hate & anger pent up inside you hence turning yourself into what you despise.

Last edited by joee; 04-26-2007 at 03:53 AM..

Old 04-26-2007, 09:38 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,697,077 times
Default That is exactly right

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
I don’t think this is the place to be judging or forming unjust opinions of people on what they say on here, a couple of comments whether right or wrong doesn’t mean that we should totally condemn a person.

Now with this being said are you going to be disappointed in a poster, despise them, have anger against them if they were to post that they are a car salesman & deceive, mislead people into believing they just got a really great deal on their new car, not all do this but some do, the list of these type people can go on & on, if you have those feelings for each & every one your going to wind up having a lot of hate & anger pent up inside you hence turning yourself into what you despise.
I saw a cartoon in the newspaper this morning which was typical of what happens around here. Instant condemnation of anybody out of their "So Called Little Norm". They called it Zero Tolerance. Walking the dog the wrong way on a sidewalk according to a made up standard and off with their head.

Poor HIF has been executed for confessing to her "Own Crime", which isn't even a crime. Could she been arrested for that event?.. I doubt it. The only standard anyone can use is what is legal and what is not. Anything else and you are on shaky ground. The clerk did not protest the transaction, they did not try to stop her from driving away. What is the beef??? She not even have any beef, just chicken.

Does not stop the Holier Than Thou Crowd. They can brand a person a Devil and then start to rave about something totally unrelated. I wonder if it makes any difference if she would have had a Jesus on the dashboard???

I am starting to think the verb tense in Joee's post is wrong. It is not about the future any more. The hate & anger has already clouded the judgement, any petty excuse is enough to go to battle stations. Labels and petty so called "Personal Standards" are very in. Any excuse to be intolerant is acceptable as long as they are not on the receiving end.

You set up that type of operating atmosphere and it will not be long before you will be the one being judged for something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality