Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times

Advertisements

For me, this forum is JUST like the C.B, radio in my truck. A lot of really good converstion and information, as well as a some jerks and misinformation. The deal is to not take it too seriously. As for the C.B. radio, I've mostly given up on saying something to another trucker when I see them do something REALLY dangerous or stupid (vs. making an honest mistake) Most of the time, I get a reply straight from the gutter, so it's just not worth the aggravation. (But calling the driver's carrier usually produces GOOD results!) Most of us learn early on to "pick one's battles" And this forum is the perfect example of that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 04:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post

You set up that type of operating atmosphere and it will not be long before you will be the one being judged for something.
Which brings to mind The Golden Rule.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:36 PM

164 posts, read 200,067 times
Look, you can go on and on about forum morality issues all you want. I just came off my 5th infraction, but that doesn't mean anything in the real world. It's the real world that counts. Besides, I was the victim most of the time when these cats come up and provoke me for making a few jokes. Get over yourself. If you make stupid comments, I will call you on it, and if you try to call me out, I will go down on you hard. That's just how I play. If you can't take it then get out. I'm a nice guy in real life, but when someone pisses me off with some toughguy comments, I go nuts on them. As I say "Don't let your face write a check that your ass can't cash",.

In a perfect world, we could all get along, but this ain't the perfect world. Everybody in these forums think they are experts at something and think they know it all. Well you don't know squat. Everything is seen from your point of view and you're not willing to see it from anyone else's point of view. I've seen it all before. Some people on here are cool, but alot of people think this is a popularity contest and just want to get the points, no matter what garbage they spew on here. Just my two cents

Old 05-01-2007, 10:08 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,070 times
Quote:
In a perfect world, we could all get along, but this ain't the perfect world. Everybody in these forums think they are experts at something and think they know it all. Well you don't know squat. Everything is seen from your point of view and you're not willing to see it from anyone else's point of view. I've seen it all before. Some people on here are cool, but alot of people think this is a popularity contest and just want to get the points, no matter what garbage they spew on here. Just my two cents
Having read alot of your post,most I don't agree on...BUT...I think your statement here holds alot of truth.

As for morality issues with others,I try not to judge too much it's not my job.My job is to keep my own butt walking the straight and narrow.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:28 PM

77 posts, read 120,703 times
Default Morality

I have been reading some of the posts in this link, so no special post is responsible for my response. However, I did notice a preponderence of the writers were mentioning how upset they are at certain posters, and I don't know whether they mean blog posts, or posters alongside freeways, or in magazines, or post writers in person. That however, is not the point to which I draw attention. It appears to me, (Value Judgment) that those making complaints are the heaviest breathers, or in other words, use the most words or posts to make their complaint the major point. It seems to me (VJ) as if they are not aware that their complaints might appear to be rubbish to others who don't agree with them. I do not belong to either group, but I am aware that the posts against, or for the thread, have the same legitimacy.
In light of my opinion, of being neither for or against, who am I to decide which is right or wrong, for no matter which side I might take, it would add up to only another Value Judgment. Perhaps it would be more correct for the discussion to revolve around the study of why some some folks are against, and others for. This then boils down to a study of the creation of Value Judgments. Instead of, as of now directing thoughts to individuals whom the other side does not know, or the reasons why there are antagonistic statements being thrown. One might learn why the opinions are held.
Value Judgments are guesses, and my points of view are guesses the same as yours, but I might value my guesses with less value than you value yours, or with more value than you do. Some (VJs) come with a lot of implied truth, and others with perceived less truth, yet often the word truth is not the case, and it is only opinions (VJs) which will be bantered about. Value Judgments which appear to be the most worthy, often are a thesis, and either respected by some scientists, or rejected as a clumsy thesis, by others. Those opinions bandied about may be thoughts that oppose Faith, or are for Faith. Admittedly, it is much more difficult to present an opinion for faith. (This is a fact)
Again with a (VJ) to me it seems when one discusses beliefs and non beliefs, or perhaps any discussion, it seems easier to discuss on a more learned and in a complimentary manner, when it is the why of the reasons that one is discussing, and not the unknown personality of the writer of a reason presented. This is the type of learning one gets, which appears to me (VJ) to be be much more and fruitful to all concerned. To ask and really understand why either side of a discussion is held, means the more difficult goal of trying to solve reasons by coming to agreement on the different milieu(s) we live in, or have lived through in our lifetime, that has caused us to hold our opinions. To be more fruitful in one's arguments or discussions, it is worthwhile to mark all of your (VJs) as I have tried to do. Yes, it might seem like a (VJ) but I think it is one that has helped me, and can help others as well. Cheers. Snaefell.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:12 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Wow, a 2 year old thread is relevant now because...

Old 03-22-2009, 12:19 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
yes you are right esp about the evasion part. been single 15 years.
already got my asbestos suit in layaway.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I have been deeply disappointed to read some threads and also individual postings where people have written with glee about having been able to take advantage of someone else or a situation.

Moderator cut: personal attack

It makes me sick and so angry to see people with such low standards who also expose and involve their children in their dishonesty
Moderator cut: personal attack
Look at the threads and see what people write and see how often they take pride in beating the system, cheating other people, skimming on responsibility and feeling proud of their evasion techniques.
If this is just a relatively small group of people on a forum board, imagine how many people like this are around?
Read postings carefully and you'll see the hypocrisy.
I think we need to call people on it and I despise those who applaud the dishonesty, think it's funny, don't condemn it, and allow that person to go unchallenged.
My rant is over.
I know this is not the religion forum, but I just wanted to post my experience. I went to the bank and cashed my check. I'm use to getting a certain amount and for some reason I didn't even look at my check before I cashed it. But when I counted my money I thought I had 25 extra dollars that the women gave me by mistake. As I sat at the house thinking, well I do need the money, but I can't keep. I knew that I could be away if the women made a mistake, but I didn't want to disobey God. So I took it back.

When I got there the women looked at my check and it was correct. I was happy because I needed the extra money, but was also relieved. But I also God another check in the mail for some more money, so it does pay off when you tell the truth.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:45 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
You attribute your honesty to God? I too am an honest person, but I will take credit for it myself....Morality and God have nothing to do with one another.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You attribute your honesty to God? I too am an honest person, but I will take credit for it myself....Morality and God have nothing to do with one another.
With the possible exception that the entire concept of morality owes its existence to the existence of a purposeful creation. Accidents have no purpose and there cannot be any values to their behaviors since they are all without purpose (procreate or un-create=irrelevant) . . . good and bad (morality) becomes arbitrary nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality