Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 06:07 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
....but he came back 3 days later and he knew he would so what 'sacrifice' did he make?Also, jimmiej said he didn't die, that he defeated death.
I did not say the bolded! Go back & look. I did say the second part.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:01 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Where did I say that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I did not say the bolded! Go back & look. I did say the second part.
Well surely, if he defeated death he didn't die? Irrespective, Even if he did 'die', he knew full well that he would only be dead for 3 days. So I ask again....what was the sacrifice in dying when he knew it's only for 3 days? If you were in a position to put the world to rights by being dead for 3 days but then coming back, would you not do it also?

Old 08-09-2009, 12:37 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well surely, if he defeated death he didn't die? Irrespective, Even if he did 'die', he knew full well that he would only be dead for 3 days. So I ask again....what was the sacrifice in dying when he knew it's only for 3 days? If you were in a position to put the world to rights by being dead for 3 days but then coming back, would you not do it also?

Honestly, I've often thought the same thing.

There are lots of people who really DID die for others. People who made, real, permanent sacrifice so that others would have it better. Check this out:
http://www.pittecp.org/schools/mountaineering/site/images/Burning%20Monk.jpg (broken link)
That Monk set himself on fire, and never moved a muscle. He did that to protest they way the Buddhist were being treated by the Christian government in Vietnam.

THAT was a sacrifice. Killing himself to draw attention to the plight, so that others would have the right to practice their religion in peace.

In the Jesus story, his sacrifice wasn't all that big. It's better than nothing, but there are millions of people who have given more. I don't know why Christians go on like he's the only person who gave his life for others - particularly since he knew it wasn't a permanent sacrifice to begin with. And really, the Romans caught him, tried him, and killed him. Sure the bible claims he could have gotten away if he wanted to, but from the outside, it looks like the Romans just killed him, whether he wanted it or not.

Last edited by Boxcar Overkill; 08-09-2009 at 12:46 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 01:24 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
And really, the Romans caught him, tried him, and killed him. Sure the bible claims he could have gotten away if he wanted to, but from the outside, it looks like the Romans just killed him, whether he wanted it or not.
An excellent point! In the case of 'sacrifice' or 'martyrdom' it would have to be shown that the person had a choice in the matter in the first place. In the case of the monk you mentioned, that was a sacrifice because he had a choice whether or not to do what he did.

Can that be said of the Jesus character, or the 'martyred' apostles? Assuming they existed, can it be shown that the apostles were given the choice to renounce their beliefs but refused to do so and were thus martyrs or would they have been killed regardless and thus have been victims?

Old 08-09-2009, 02:32 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
I don't think Jesus voluntarily went down town and turned himself in. If memory serves, he was hididng on the down low, but Judas sold him out. Then the guards came and took him away.

So even though the bible says Jesus sacrificed himself, the actual events make it look like the Romans found him and killed him just like a regular criminal, and he didn't have a lot of choice in the matter.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:59 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
AxisMundi said I was incorrectly using the term Hades. I was showing him that the New testament does use the term. Pay attention.

You do know that "Hades" was originally the name for the Greek god of the underworld, right? It was not a place, per se, but an entity. Only became a place when christers needed somewhere to threaten people with.

Neither use of the term makes it legitimate.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:05 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Everybody lives on after death,we are dead from this evil corrupt world,our bodies are shells but our souls are eternal,it is just the choice of whether we we accepted Him as Lord and Saviour or rejected Him as to our final destination.
And your proof of this is....?

Have you ever been dead, to see what happens after death? You know anyone walking around today who was dead for three days and came back?

You ever meet a soul without a body?

Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Don't forget : The people chose Barabas.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:23 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
The difference here in your 2nd paragraph is that Jesus paid the price for us all where you would still have to buy the car off of the salesman if you wanted to purchase it.
Well if that's the case we should all be worshipping Oprah. Look under your seats, you're getting a car and you're getting a car, everyone's getting a car!!!!

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 08-09-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 12:18 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
You do know that "Hades" was originally the name for the Greek god of the underworld, right? It was not a place, per se, but an entity. Only became a place when christers needed somewhere to threaten people with.

Neither use of the term makes it legitimate.
Yes. Hades was in Greek mythology the god of the underworld. The word Hades means underworld. The New Testament is mostly written in Greek and therefore the word Hades was used for the true underworld as described in the Bible as opposed to the mythological underworld of Greek mythology that the Greek god Hades resided over. Hades is divided into compartments. One of the compartments is called paradise. It is where Old Testament saints went when they died. After the work of Christ on the cross, the people residing in paradise were transferred to Heaven which is where believers in Christ now go to when their life on this earth ends. The other compartment in Hades is called torments. What people call Hell. It is where people who were not saved went and still go.

The Old Testament Hebrew word is Sheol. The Old Testament shows that the afterlife is not a Christian invention. Read if you will, 1 Samuel 28:7-20 regarding King Saul, the dead prophet Samuel, and the witch of Endor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality