Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 03:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

This is one issue that I've never been able to make any sense out of. I do understand the religious point of view that abortion is wrong although I personally support the right of the woman to make that decision but since it's so obvious that the use of birth control methods such as the use of condoms or birth control pills would eliminate abortions I would think that religious people should support the idea. I know what people are going to say, that unmarried couples shouldn't be having sex anyway or that the only purpose of sex is produce babies so let me ask you this question. Which is worse, fornication or abortion? Why can't those people who are so opposed to birth control see that their efforts are going to lead to a greater number of abortions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 03:34 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
This is one issue that I've never been able to make any sense out of. I do understand the religious point of view that abortion is wrong although I personally support the right of the woman to make that decision but since it's so obvious that the use of birth control methods such as the use of condoms or birth control pills would eliminate abortions I would think that religious people should support the idea. I know what people are going to say, that unmarried couples shouldn't be having sex anyway or that the only purpose of sex is produce babies so let me ask you this question. Which is worse, fornication or abortion? Why can't those people who are so opposed to birth control see that their efforts are going to lead to a greater number of abortions?
Because if they promote birth control, they won't have plenty of new members to leech their income from.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:05 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Good question! But I think you answered it already. They live in lala land where they think no one has sex till they are married. Let me state that I am not a big supporter of random unmarried sex. It is way to risky for one thing. But let's be realistic! People have sex! Lots of it! Even the ones in church not married. Oh my! Say it isn't so! I'm not a big fan of abortion either. I have mixed feelings about it. But you know, whatever.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Good question! But I think you answered it already. They live in lala land where they think no one has sex till they are married. Let me state that I am not a big supporter of random unmarried sex. It is way to risky for one thing. But let's be realistic! People have sex! Lots of it! Even the ones in church not married. Oh my! Say it isn't so! I'm not a big fan of abortion either. I have mixed feelings about it. But you know, whatever.
Hmm. Well, you can have safe sex without being married you know Personally, I'm not married but I AM a serial monogamist. There's really no difference between that and being married, then divorcing and marrying someone else.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:38 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,102,257 times
Many Christian faiths allow and support the use of birth coltrol.

The catholic church does NOT support birth control.

From the Catholic church understanding, all sex should allow for the gift of a child.
The understanding is that the use of birth control twists sex into something that God never designed it for.

I do not care one way or the other about a Christian use of birth control, but I have found no Christian reason to support any abortion...

There is a right to life of the unborn...we must respect it no matter the effect on adults,

Old 08-02-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post

There is a right to life of the unborn...we must respect it no matter the effect on adults,
So a fetus is more valuable then a living, breathing adult who already exists? How do you figure that?

Old 08-02-2009, 05:48 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
They are still stuck on the words "be fruitful, and multiply." It's a mantra to them ,and they can keep cranking out millions of babies to please god. Birth control would get god in a tizzy, according to the pious. You guys recall what happened to Onan ?

Old 08-02-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
So a fetus is more valuable then a living, breathing adult who already exists? How do you figure that?
The idea is that we who are already old have lived a life that has already given us joys and our chance.
Thus we need to respect the unborn child's right to have their chance at such joys.

We cant say for sure any child will live long enough to be born.
But we do owe them the chance and that is all the unborn ask from us who are so much older ..

The chance to be born
The chance to kick a ball
The chance to fall in love.
The chance to see their own child born.

We who are older cant guarantee a child will experience such things.
But we can give them the chance to...

Old 08-02-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The idea is that we who are already old have lived a life that has already given us joys and our chance.
Thus we need to respect the unborn child's right to have their chance at such joys.

We cant say for sure any child will live long enough to be born.
But we do owe them the chance and that is all the unborn ask from us who are so much older ..

The chance to be born
The chance to kick a ball
The chance to fall in love.
The chance to see their own child born.

We who are older cant guarantee a child will experience such things.
But we can give them the chance to...
So you're against all forms of birth control then, correct?

Old 08-02-2009, 06:26 PM

I remember an old black and white movie of a ship that sank in a storm and that there was this lifeboat filled with too many people on it.
At one point in the movie the men in charge of the lifeboat had to decide who would stay in the boat and who had to go to keep the boat from sinking.

The child on the life boat was automatically allowed to always stay on the boat .
The reason given was that the child represented the future.

This also should come into play when we consider the right of a child to be born against the right of a mom to not be bothered with the child's birth.
The child represents the future, and this means that no matter what the right to life of the child is more important than the desire of the mom to afford her toys with the money she didn't have to spend on pampers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality