Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:17 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If you are selling something real or tangible, your are a salesperson. But since they are selling a hoax, then your are a scammers.
But a scammer has to be aware of his fraud. If they believe it to be true, then they are not scammers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:46 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,373,946 times
There are numerous verses in the scriptures where God commands His faithful servants to share the gospel message with others. Young male LDS missionaries have dedicated two years of their lives at their own expense to that service. They are ordained ministers of religion, teachers with a message they believe to be from God, for those willing to listen.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:34 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
The major difference here is that mormon missionaries don't get paid. In fact, they pay to be a missionary. So they peddle their ideology but I wouldn't class them with door to door salesmen who are trying to profit from their activities.

They are far more "dangerous".

They get paid to be Missionaries. Just not in actual money. They get spiritual brownie points for every convert they make.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:01 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
They get paid to be Missionaries. Just not in actual money. They get spiritual brownie points for every convert they make.
I know some ex mormon missionaries that got paid with giardia, malaria and bullet wounds. Not exactly a fair deal if you ask me.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,567 times
Quote:
Perhaps you could identify this spiritual reward chart in more detail for us?

As the Apostle Paul said:

16 ... woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward ... (Emphasis added).

As a returned missionary, I did not go out seeking particular glory or reward. But if by following Paul's admonition, our Father in Heaven looks upon my service favorably, all the better.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If you are selling something real or tangible, your are a salesperson. But since they are selling a hoax, then your are a scammers.
You are only a 'scammer' if you don't don't believe in the thing you are selling.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:17 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,158,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
There are numerous verses in the scriptures where God commands His faithful servants to share the gospel message with others. Young male LDS missionaries have dedicated two years of their lives at their own expense to that service. They are ordained ministers of religion, teachers with a message they believe to be from God, for those willing to listen.
So you believe that it is more important for young male Mormons to do missionary work rather than serve in the US military in Afghanistan as a grunt ?
I notice a Mormon politician believes his six sons none of whom have heard the crack of a Russian 7.62 round are serving their country as much as any grunt by driving him around.
I believe that he dodged the draft by doing so called missionary work, tends to show what Mormons believe is important does it not ?
I'm reminded of that old saying, does that Mormon politician and his sons have no shame.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:35 PM

79 posts, read 99,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
So you believe that it is more important for young male Mormons to do missionary work rather than serve in the US military in Afghanistan as a grunt ?
I notice a Mormon politician believes his six sons none of whom have heard the crack of a Russian 7.62 round are serving their country as much as any grunt by driving him around.
I believe that he dodged the draft by doing so called missionary work, tends to show what Mormons believe is important does it not ?
I'm reminded of that old saying, does that Mormon politician and his sons have no shame.
And yet a fair number of the current 12 Apostles and President Monson himself went to war in WWII. Yes, that does show what is important, doesn't it?

This thread is awesome!!

Old 11-16-2009, 04:42 PM

22,136 posts, read 19,195,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
My neighborhood has signs saying no soliciting, according to the police, soliciting does include anybody going about knocking on doors about their religion.
yes, i agree
someone knocking on doors with religion IS SOLICITING

they are trying to sell you on their religion, they are trying to solicit your interest in their church. no two ways about it

Old 11-16-2009, 05:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
A pyramid scheme?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality