Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:54 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
gdcon wrote:

As a guitar player and musician I must admit that Christian rock just makes me wince. They even have some fairly hard rock Christian bands but the religious lyrics combined with loud rock guitar just don't go together. I also hate the arm waving thing that the people in the audience get into at a concert but I guess that's just me.
Nope not just you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:59 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcon View Post
I suppose you can put whatever lyrics you want to rock music, but it's hard for me to make the connection between christianity and rock n' roll. But alot of people do make that connection, because alot of mega churches have soft rock type music. Like anything else, it's really supply and demand. People want more contemporary music in church, so the churches give it to them, and the churches grow and you have alot of mega churches with rock style music.
So yeah, in a way I have a hard time not thinking of Christian rock as corny, but they give the people what they want and I can't really fault them for that.
Interesting to note, 500 years ago, the organ was controversial in the church.

Christians in the early church originally protested the bringing in of the organ into the church saying it was a "worldly" instrument. The organ at that time was used to signal praise in the emperor's court, like trumpets are used when someone of royalty was formally entering. Around 500 AD the church began to adopt the usage of the organ from culture and used it to signal the entering of the Pope. So there was protest from Christians who felt there was compromise happening and that the church was allowing a worldly instrument into the church.

Vintage Faith: The controversial organ (http://www.dankimball.com/vintage_faith/2008/07/the-controverci.html - broken link)

Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i would not attend a rock band church. i would attend an AA gospel based church with a strong music program.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:09 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
I like to sing...so going to a church where there is plenty of music and they provide lyrics (either on the screen, in a little booklet, or something) is nice.

I attended church with a friend of mine a few years ago and I liked that the church displayed the lyrics via Powerpoint. They didn't sing long enough for my tastes....I like at least 30 minutes...but I can always sing at home or in the car.

If I had to attend church, I would like a church with no more than 200 people, people don't seem fake or materialistic, there is lots of music (fast paced and slow paced), and you feel welcomed no matter what, even if you're a homeless 5'2 transgendered purple-haired beauty queen.

I still listen to some music that is considered Christian. I like some of Superchick's earlier music, Rachel Lampa... I don't really pay attention to the verses that mention "god," "his grace," "your mercy," etc.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:36 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
If I had to chose, I believe I would go with the smaller church. More personal, more of a family feeling. The mega churches are just too loud with a false sense of being at a rock concert - with the preacher being the star.

Really, I think I would prefer a small Quaker church where everyone sits still until they felt 'moved' to speak.
I agree, I am not really a frequent church goer, but when I do attend it is almost exclusively at small Quaker meeting. There is something about the silence and the occasional messages from someone I really enjoy.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:40 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
There is more than one way to church people and hard rock is not a bad way to go.

If the people you are approaching are street dwellers, teens, on the edge, people, GUTS Church in Tulsa is taking the Gospel to where those people live.

YouTube - Tougher than Hell

YouTube - Nightmare in Tulsa OK

YouTube - Nightmare XV @ Guts Church

Old 08-03-2009, 09:16 PM

111 posts, read 265,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
gdcon wrote:

As a guitar player and musician I must admit that Christian rock just makes me wince. They even have some fairly hard rock Christian bands but the religious lyrics combined with loud rock guitar just don't go together. I also hate the arm waving thing that the people in the audience get into at a concert but I guess that's just me.
Montana Guy, I agree about the hands in the air thing at church. I don't get it. I guess it brings people 6 inches closer ot heaven, or something. But I digress...

Old 08-03-2009, 09:29 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcon View Post
Montana Guy, I agree about the hands in the air thing at church. I don't get it. I guess it brings people 6 inches closer ot heaven, or something. But I digress...

It's basically to symbolize submission. By placing your hands in the air we are submitting to God, and declaring his sovereignty and holiness. It's an act of worship.

I don't go to a "holy roller" church where I'm constantly waving my hands around...but I do raise a hand or two on a song or two each week.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Interesting to note, 500 years ago, the organ was controversial in the church.

Christians in the early church originally protested the bringing in of the organ into the church saying it was a "worldly" instrument. The organ at that time was used to signal praise in the emperor's court, like trumpets are used when someone of royalty was formally entering. Around 500 AD the church began to adopt the usage of the organ from culture and used it to signal the entering of the Pope. So there was protest from Christians who felt there was compromise happening and that the church was allowing a worldly instrument into the church.

Vintage Faith: The controversial organ (http://www.dankimball.com/vintage_faith/2008/07/the-controverci.html - broken link)
jimmiej,

Though I am not a Christian, it was always interesting to me that there were/are those who so adamantly opposed the use of instruments in worship music, especially on the "worldly" charge. I could not see how they could stand by that tenet when considering Psalm 150, especially verses 3 - 5.

3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,

4 praise him with tambourine and dancing,
praise him with the strings and flute,

5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:12 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
jimmiej,

Though I am not a Christian, it was always interesting to me that there were/are those who so adamantly opposed the use of instruments in worship music, especially on the "worldly" charge. I could not see how they could stand by that tenet when considering Psalm 150, especially verses 3 - 5.

3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,
praise him with the harp and lyre,

4 praise him with tambourine and dancing,
praise him with the strings and flute,

5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,
praise him with resounding cymbals.

I guess it's a question of who the focus is on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality