Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

It's a brain thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Along those like, I did see a TV show that said scientists are finding gay men tend to have older brothers. And the probablility of a son being gay keeps increasing as you go down the line. So, the eldest son is least likely to be gay, but the 3rd of 4th son would be much more likely to be gay than the eldest.

Doesn't always apply though. I'm the eldest son & definitely gay. Although my ex boyfriend is 10th of 13 (not all sons but there are older brothers). He and his youngest brother are both gay.

Interestingly, this doesn't seem to apply to lesbian women, just gay men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 PM

The parts about supposed "homosexuality" in the bible were taken out of context and mis-translated into anti-gay bigotry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
It's always inspired.

But you need to read the verse in context.
You're not a dump person...I give you the benefit of the doubt...but come on.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,393 times
Quote:
The OP is making the case that homosexuality is a natural thing....as if that would be reason enough for us to excuse it as a healthy thing.

My point is that there is a lot that happens in nature that we wouldn't consider to be good.
How is homosexuality "unhealthy"?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
recently scientists have done numerous studies over the years and have discovered that homosexual behavior peaks among overpopulated animal species. That being said, the research provides some evidence that homosexuality is natural among human beings as well and it may indicate that genetics is involved. Most scientists believe homosexuality is not a choice. (the desire to be attracted to someone of the same sex isn't a choice). The world human population is growing. Many say in the next hundred years the world will basically have too many people and will eventually lead to famine. Just think if ALL the gay people in the world were straight and they had children and their children had children and so on. Homosexuality may just be part of the natural process so I wouldn't use the bible to justify that someone is going to hell because they are gay. Its interesting because while the Bible says homosexuality is a sin, it also say we are suppose to own slaves and throw stones at people. But its just a case of people picking and choosing what they WANT to believe out of the Bible. Amazingly Jesus never mentioned homosexuality but talked about liars, cheaters and stealers. If homosexuality is this BIG SIN, Jesus should have been talking about it all the time. Thats because its not a sin if its not a choice and you can't choose to be attracted to men or women. Just like straight people have a natural attraction for members of the opposite sex. There is no choice in that matter. A straight male that sees a hot chic with big boobs in a bikini gets this funny feeling inside and things begin to happen to the lower part of his body. That had nothing to do with choice.
I would like to see this study, and any studies on how it related to human beings.

Depending on which side of the "Gay Debate" one speaks to, anywhere from 3 - 10% of the human population has always been homosexual, and doesn't apear to have risen sharply in any recent history (as much as bible thumpers liek to claim "We might catch the gay!").

Old 08-06-2009, 10:15 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
You're not a dump person...I give you the benefit of the doubt...but come on.
How would you know that I'm not a dump person? It's none of your business what I do in my spare time. You wouldn't believe the treasures that can be found at my local dump.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
every one of those things is "acceptable" in at least one and often several living societies today.

Nature doesn't care about human morals though. Morals are invented and enforced by the majority and/or the power structure of a society. Therefore, homosexuals suffer in our culture because the majority disapprove of the act.

I'm among the majority. Kissing and getting jiggy with another man (or woman to woman) is nasty. But I still don't feel the need to push my agenda on them.

So why is it so hard to practice "live and let live" here. I'll accept that what two people do behind closed doors is their business and can keep my distaste seperate from my daily business transactions.

But Homosexuals cannot and have no business trying to manipulate me away from my distaste of homosexual activities, so stop trying to. Especially by making ridiculous public displays like "kiss ins" or wild g-string dancing, cross-dresser celebrating parades.

Why should anyone's sexual desires rule their entire life to the point they need to express it to the world anyways? Gay or not, a person who is dominated by sexual desire and acts accordingly is a pervert.
Firstly, no one is trying to change your bigotry. As long as bigotry isn't used to discriminate against a Protect Class (religion, age, race, sexual orientation, handicap), bigotry is a protected form of thought and speech. This isn't offered as insult, bigotry is merely a descriptive term that describes what you ahve to offer.

Gays have been subjected to centuries of oppression and persecution in this Nation. At one time during our Colonial Period it was outlawed and men were executed for it. It is any suprise that they would celebrate their own freedom?

And as for g-strings and parading about? Never been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, I take it. Higly recomended for people to go at least once in their lives. You'd be suprised at the lovely women parading about in g-strings and smiles, and maybe beads, and nothing else.

There's this one small place I always seemed to find myself in, never crowded, the best blues anywhere and great beer...

Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times
Quote:
Nature doesn't care about human morals though. Morals are invented and enforced by the majority and/or the power structure of a society. Therefore, homosexuals suffer in our culture because the majority disapprove of the act.
Totally agree.

Quote:
I'm among the majority. Kissing and getting jiggy with another man (or woman to woman) is nasty. But I still don't feel the need to push my agenda on them.
OK, but now you are treading on thin ice. Gay people are constantly bombarded by the "straight" agenda. It certainly is being pushed upon them

Quote:
So why is it so hard to practice "live and let live" here. I'll accept that what two people do behind closed doors is their business and can keep my distaste seperate from my daily business transactions.
Therefore, what you do as a straight couple should be kept behind closed doors as well, so it doesn't aggravate my distaste. I don't want to see it it in Ads, Movies or TV. Agreed?

Quote:
But Homosexuals cannot and have no business trying to manipulate me away from my distaste of homosexual activities, so stop trying to. Especially by making ridiculous public displays like "kiss ins" or wild g-string dancing, cross-dresser celebrating parades.
And I have the same right to not be manipulated into accepting the distasteful heterosexual activities that I see plastered across every television ad, movie, internet site and radio program 99.9% of the time. God, why do brides have to have their perverted Bridal showers at Gay bars???

Quote:
Why should anyone's sexual desires rule their entire life to the point they need to express it to the world anyways? Gay or not, a person who is dominated by sexual desire and acts accordingly is a pervert.
Wow. Let that one sink in. By that reasoning, why should we, as a Society, allow heterosexuals to express their desires??? Yes, if you are STRAIGHT(by your own admission), that is, if you are dominated by your sexual desire for the opposite sex and act accordingly, you are a pervert.

Last edited by Astron1000; 08-06-2009 at 10:36 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 PM

So when has homosexuality caused or been correlated with obesity or cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
How is homosexuality "unhealthy"?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So when has homosexuality caused or been correlated with obesity or cancer.
Huh?

Old 08-07-2009, 08:11 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Some people argue that homosexuality can’t have a genetic cause because two homosexuals can’t reproduce, so homosexuals would have bred themselves out of the gene pool long ago.

This is a little too simplistic and doesn’t take into account recessive genes or “balanced superior heterozygotic fitness”.

Does everyone remember basic genetics in High School? We inherit two copies of each gene, one from each parent. The same gene comes in different "flavors," called alleles.

If we inherit the same allele of a gene from each parent, we are homozygous for that allele. If we inherit a different allele of that gene from each parent, we are heterozygous for that allele.

The terms “dominant” and “recessive” refer to how the alleles for that gene express themselves.

Recessive alleles express ONLY if you are homozygous (two of the same) for that allele. Dominant alleles are expressed even if you only get one copy of that allele.

An often used simple example is Eye Color: - let's call the gene for eye color B, and use a capital letter “B” (Big B) for the dominant allele of Brown and a small letter “b”(little b) for the recessive allele Blue.

If we inherit a gene for eye color from our father and a gene for eye color from our mother, each of which have 2 alleles, there are four combination possibilities:

BB – Homozygous ( Dominant. Has brown eyes)
Bb – Heterozygous. (Has brown eyes. Carrier for blue)
bB – Heterozygous. (Has brown eyes. Carrier for blue)
bb – Homozygous. (Recessive. Has blue eyes)

Okay, so are we clear about the basics? Now let’s look at homosexuality.

Scientists believe there is a combination of a number of different genes that affect sexual orientation, and it’s quite complex, but I’m trying to keep this simple to get the basic idea across, so I’ll just use an example of a single gene. And I’ll just stick with males for the moment.

If there is a single gene for human sexual orientation and it is heterozygotically controlled, we could use Big H for Heterosexuality and little “h” for homosexuality and call Big H the dominant allele.

HH – Homozygotic Heterosexual (Straight)
Hh– Heterozygous Heterosexual (Straight, but carrier for gay allele)
hH– Heterozygous Heterosexual (Straight, but carrier for gay allele)
hh – Homozygous Homosexual (Gay)

This would mean that there are:
Straight men (HH) with the two Dominant Heterosexual alleles.
Straight men (Hh) with one Dominant Straight allele and one recessive gay allele. These would be the carriers of the gay “gene” even though the gene is not expressed because it is recessive.
Gay men (hh) with the two recessive alleles.

So homosexuality can be easily passed on genetically by heterosexuals who have recessive “gay” genes.

For homosexuality to have remained in the gene pool, it must have some evolutionary advantages for the straight men who carry the recessive trait, over the straight men who don’t carry it.

Let’s say for example that straight men who carry the recessive “gay” genes are better able to express themselves verbally and emotionally than straight men who don’t carry this recessive gene. Or perhaps straight men with the recessive gay gene may be better lovers or have better left brain/right brain communication….or whatever.

These characteristics conferred by the recessive “gay genes” may make these straight men more attractive to straight women. So the genes get passed on, even if gay men with the two recessive alleles (hh) never reproduce themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality