Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of MasterPath and its founder, Gary Olsen?
MasterPath seems to be a legitimate path to enlightenment 7 23.33%
MasterPath seems to be a benign cult that is not hurting anyone 1 3.33%
MasterPath seems to be a scam, but only hurts those that buy into it 1 3.33%
MasterPath seems to be a scam and Gary Olsen is a fraud 21 70.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 03:43 PM

6 posts, read 11,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
My sympathies to you...

trust me, I know how Master Path can mess with a loved one.
Any clues, suggestions or ideas on how to get someone to just listen to reason and not completely discard a wonderful relationship??

Old 01-21-2010, 08:20 AM

1,663 posts, read 4,361,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne View Post
Any clues, suggestions or ideas on how to get someone to just listen to reason and not completely discard a wonderful relationship??
Sounds like your fiancee has taken it a bit too far ... does she have a history of obsessive/compulsive behavior? It would seem that maybe she's focusing all her energy on MP and taking Gary's nonsense literally.

Have you pointed her to this thread? Tell her to follow the money....Masterpath Inc (watchdog.net)

I've observed there are those who can follow something, practice it, and still have a fully functional, rational mind without becoming 'blinded'....and then there are those who will immerse themselves, become misguided, and erode their life and relationships and have no idea that's what they're doing.

All the more reason to keep the thread going and call out Gary Olsen to give us answers (which, of course, will never happen).

Probably time to fax in another IRS complaint form, too.

Last edited by Shuffler; 01-21-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Sounds like your fiancee has taken it a bit too far ... does she have a history of obsessive/compulsive behavior? It would seem that maybe she's focusing all her energy on MP and taking Gary's nonsense literally.

Have you pointed her to this thread? Tell her to follow the money....Masterpath Inc (watchdog.net)

I've observed there are those who can follow something, practice it, and still have a fully functional, rational mind without becoming 'blinded'....and then there are those who will immerse themselves, become misguided, and erode their life and relationships and have no idea that's what they're doing.

All the more reason to keep the thread going and call out Gary Olsen to give us answers (which, of course, will never happen).

Probably time to fax in another IRS complaint form, too.
First of all, I don't want to paint her as some sort of kook,..she's not. She's absolutely gorgeous, intelligent and extremely caring,.... a very warm and loving individual. Additionally,.... she is extremely spiritual; I guess that's where MasterPath comes in. I know very little about it, but love my fiancee with all I have and therefore have tried to give her space and respect that she has her own "beliefs" (although I know little of them. If we discuss ANYTHING anti MP, she will defend it to the hilt,...I stay away from that now. We both love one another very much. We've suffered a few problems in our relationship, which with a little work and time on a day by day basis would prove themselves to work out,...... I have all the faith in the world as to that. Where MP seems to be coming in is she is getting her "answers" all "spiritually" and from her heart,... none of it makes sense of thought through. Sure the heart enters into it,...if we didn't love one another,... there's no point. But from there I feels it's more thought and "common sense". I'm not asking her for rush "decision",.... I am asking her nor a decision "not to rush". All I get is quotes and ideals that I know are coming from MP,.... her heart only and spiritually. All I am trying to do is not take her necessarily from MP,...(no matter what I think of it),.... her faith and spirituality is not for me to decide,..... but I'm looking for a way to drive common sense home. By ending it now,..it's over,.... by loving and giving it time to PROVE one way or another,...we have everything to gain and nothing to lose. HELP!!! Thanks everyone for trying!!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:01 PM

It'd help to hear some specific examples of how you've observed that MasterPath is influencing her decision-making process in everyday life.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 AM

The good things are,.... she is very spiritual (in a very good warm way). She's has extremely high morals and ethics,.... she always tries to chose the "right road". She bases decisions on "caring".
The one I'm trying to break through here is her "mind and spiritual" decision that the ONLY thing to do is leave the relationship, when there are so many other simple choices that make "total sense" and are everything to gain and nothing to lose decisions.

I don't know enough about MP to condone or condem,...., my place isn't to make an uninformed judgement on anything. My concern is that "something" in MP is influencing her decision here when there are so many simple and obviously positive choices that could be made. It's NOT that we don't care or love,....we both clearly do,..... but she is basing her decision on something within MP that I do not understand and am merely looking for a way to make better sense to her.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:37 AM

In the other thread, some have made reference to a 'requirement' by Gary Olsen that if you marry somebody, it should be somebody who is also 'on the path'.

Not sure if this is true or not, but it could be influencing her if somebody else planted the bug in her ear.

Is she headed to San Diego next month? There's a 'meeting' there.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:48 AM

I am quite certain that either there is no "requirement" to marry someone on the path, if by chance there is,...... it isn't a factor (as far as I know) in her thought process. I know she would like to go to SanDiego,.... but with the strained relations we are experiencing,..... I don't know for sure.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:18 PM

My purpose here isn't to criticize or judge MasterPath, I don't have the background or first hand knowledge to do so,.... I'm not one to judge anyway. What I am really seeking is merely a way to get someone on the "Path" to slow down,.... and listen to reason,.... and invest some time on a logical basis. I'm looking for a way that she will be able to follow her spiritual beliefs, but to temper her decisions (especially this one) with everyday common sense and not to be totally overridden by spiritual teachings,..... thats all. Thanks again to everyone!

Old 02-05-2010, 03:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,608 times
Default Gary Olsen and the Eck.

I don't know Mr. Olsen. I am familiar with Eckankar and it's origin. I am also familiar withh Mr. Darwin Gross. I am also aware that unless someone is a Sat Guru they are not to use Sri.
I enjoyed sharing my dreams with Paul Twitchell when he translated I did not have Darwin as my inner guide or teacher I have had Harold Klemp since before Paul Translated and he told me that Harold he would become a Mahanta, The Living Eck Master and that Darwin would run the organization. I was not aware that Darwin was in a position to name a Sri, Only the Eck can do that. Even at Shangta the Eck embraced Harold and The Eck Masters were there, I did not see Darwin. The Rod passed to Harold and He is still Mahanta. Each time the Rod is past to a new Mahanta, Living Eck Master the Previous Eck Master must surrender his physical body. We all know this from Paul and what happened. But it did not happen with Darwin, because he assumed the Mantle. I would like to learn more of Mr. Olsen's path anyone may share with me here or on the inner in the Dream State.
For those who are not aware of the Light or the true reality don't worry... For some it is better to not know and embrace the light and sound and let others talk to them instead of acting. I used to be afaid to experience the light and Soul Travel, but then I realized we are all God's children and we only exist because God Loves us.
And for those who believe they need a "Satan" Remember the term comes from the Hebrew words " Al Shatan" which means the advasary and the being in the book of JOB was Michael the ArchAngel... Do the research but learn Hebrew from a person is part or the 3500 year old language not someone who learned it from westerners.
The only Good or Evil that I have ever seen brought into our world was by Men not Aliens or Angels or Demons, Only Men.
Lastly, we are adults and I respect your right to your opinion. Respect mine.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 AM

10 posts, read 14,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marktkinder View Post
I have studied with several yogis and swamis in India and attended many satsangs with different gurus and so on in the United States. However, my experience with Sri Gary Olsen has been very profound to say the least. Everything he has taught me has been actually verifiable through my own spiritual practice. This is what really counts!

Yes, at first glance Sri Gary doesn't seem like a standard spiritual guru. And yes, just like any alternative teaching his path will seem cultish to a new person. The important thing to understand is that all spiritual groups seem weird and cultish to onlookers. I used to think this way before accepting a guru, and even though I have found a guru in Gary, I am still skeptical about other gurus other than my own. Those of you who don't buy into the guru student relationship are bound to be skeptical, and you should be. The guru student relationship has received nothing but a bad rep. in the USA with Waco, OSHO, Hare Krishna, and Heavens Gate etc. Those of you who have already found a guru should be skeptical about other gurus and yet be dedicated to your own. It doesn't matter what others think. It is what you think and experience that matters. If you are getting something from the teaching then follow it it is probably beneficial, if not then that teaching is simply not for you. If you "love to hate" then you probably won't ever and cannot ever understand the guru disciple relationship no matter how much spouting, investigating, criticizing, blogging, guru rating etc. that you do.

In regards to Sri Gary, he is straight forward and down to earth, and is friendly and yet tough if he needs to be. People are judging him all over the internet over petty little things. Most of the judgements are not based on any facts and often times just simply fabricated out of thin air. Who cares what he spend his money on? Who cares whether Darwin Gross passed the torch onto him or not? Who cares if ex chelas dislike him. It's what you think that counts! Have you ever met an "ex" of any religious organization that had good things to say about their experience without slanting their conversation to the negative?

The fact is that his teachings are not for everyone, just like Hare Krishna, and Christianity isn't for everyone.

The best advice I was ever given before accepting a guru was: "Go to a seminar/satsang/meeting of the group you are investigating. Check out the students very closely; watch their body language and check out their mannerisms, and their behaviour. Talk to them and watch the guru very closely. Take your time, be skeptical, ask questions, but most importantly find an undeniable attraction to the teaching and the teacher." In other words, "If it doesn't have a big yes behind it don't get involved."

My experience with MasterPath has been very good. I spent 5 years practicing TM, hatha/raja yoga and and additional 4 years practicing Krishna Consciousness, vipassana and Kriya Yoga. I was dedicated to each discipline and practiced sincerely. I had some nice experiences with these teachings and communities. However, one day on the MasterPath was more profound than all of that experience put together, seriously! Since getting involved with Gary I have gone further than I ever thought possible and experienced insights and states of bliss beyond my wildest dreams.

Don't knock it until you've tried it!
I couldn't agree more. I too have experienced profound bliss and I'm with the Master
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.