Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:47 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times

Advertisements

Just for those who might like a bit of the truth: there's some intentional confusion or utter lack of technical education (you pick) here in the OP's statement.

The geologic column is a reference to the entirety of all geologic data assembled in one convenient reference chart, so to speak. Of course it does not exist anywhere in the world as such, intact from beginning to end. Just as the bible is made up of a number of "books" that were later assembled together as a reference book, so this reference stratum has been "assembled".

Since we can and do reliably date archeological and fossil finds, we can then "place" them in their proper place in this reference "column". Originally, about 50 years ago, the time frame upon which most now-obsolete doubting references are made in Christian websites, there used to be many many holes in the available data.

But of course, unlike biblical information, scientifically generated (i.e.: reliable, trustable, peer-reviewed and reproducible) information has long-since accumulated and fleshed out much of the missing data. We know the rest is coming; it's only a matter of time.

It's kind of like eventually finding and correctly placing all the once-missing pieces for a 2000 piece jigsaw that had been scattered and lost under the sofa, but needing only a good source of illumination (isotopic dating, X-Ray fluorescence, co-existant fossil and artifact finds, etc.) to find and then place them in their proper place.

Just because they weren't all there a few decades back didn't make the entire "jigsaw puzzle", partially completed there on the table, any less viable, now did it?

To categorically deny these more recent and ever more accurate finds, to say that fossils do not exist, that geologic evidence in our hands is faked, or that fossils of dinosaurs are, improbably, only 3000 years old (all of them post-silly-flood), yet oddly without historical mention in, for example, ANY Chinese or other ancient but well documented and scholarly cultures ("They are thus the cultures of Satan, I tell you!" Blah blah blah...) is, well, delusional.

But delusion is a critical necessity for those who need it. (Ain't that a circular idea?)

Let's just call it Denialism and be done with it, shall we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:16 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,456,566 times
Quote:
Night Bazaar;10199449]Okay, I stand corrected about the sun. It not a city for people, it's a temple where God lives/stays/dwells.
No, in His Word, He set His temple in the sun. The sun is not the temple itself. In Enoch's vision, there was the temple and the inner temple, which Enoch went through the tongues of fire to enter.
John also had a visit to the temple in heaven. John saw the crystal "sea" before the throne which Enoch also saw.
Quote:
1 Enoch 14
Behold, in the vision clouds invited me and a mist summoned me, and the course of the stars and the lightnings sped and hastened me, and the winds in 9 the vision caused me to fly and lifted me upward, and bore me into heaven.

And I went in till I drew nigh to a wall which is built of crystals and surrounded by tongues of fire: and it began to affright 10 me.

And I went into the tongues of fire and drew nigh to a large house which was built of crystals:
and the walls of the house were like a tesselated floor (made) of crystals, and its groundwork was 11 of crystal.

Its ceiling was like the path of the stars and the lightnings, and between them were 12 fiery cherubim, and their heaven was (clear as) water.

A flaming fire surrounded the walls, and its 13 portals blazed with fire.

And I entered into that house, and it was hot as fire and cold as ice: there 14 were no delights of life therein: fear covered me, and trembling got hold upon me. And as I quaked 15 and trembled, I fell upon my face.
And I beheld a vision, And lo! there was a second house, greater 16 than the former, and the entire portal stood open before me, and it was built of flames of fire. And in every respect it so excelled in splendour and magnificence and extent that I cannot describe to 17 you its splendour and its extent. And its floor was of fire, and above it were lightnings and the path 18 of the stars, and its ceiling also was flaming fire.

And I looked and saw therein a lofty throne: its appearance was as crystal, and the wheels thereof as the shining sun, and there was the vision of 19 cherubim.

And from underneath the throne came streams of flaming fire so that I could not look 20 thereon. And the Great Glory sat thereon, and His raiment shone more brightly than the sun and 21 was whiter than any snow.
None of the angels could enter and could behold His face by reason 22 of the magnificence and glory and no flesh could behold Him. The flaming fire was round about Him, and a great fire stood before Him, and none around could draw nigh Him: ten thousand times 23 ten thousand (stood) before Him, yet He needed no counselor. And the most holy ones who were 24 nigh to Him did not leave by night nor depart from Him. And until then I had been prostrate on my face, trembling: and the Lord called me with His own mouth, and said to me: ' Come hither, 25 Enoch, and hear my word.' And one of the holy ones came to me and waked me, and He made me rise up and approach the door: and I bowed my face downwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Bazaar View Post
I'm having a little trouble understanding your frequent reference to worms. Are you saying that people aren't really people, that they're really just worms? Or do you mean that as a figure of speech?
It is more than a figure of speech, in the Word. The actual condition of Adam without being born from above is that of being an "undying worm", never coming to the "perfect man", which we are called to come to, by being cleansed by the Atonement Jesus gave for our cleansing, and then being born of His Living Spirit, so as to be sons of God in Spirit by regeneration of the Spirit; and then being born again in body, in the regeneration of the body; which is the "metamorphosing" of it.
Truly our bodies will be completely dissolved and regenerated in the image of the New Man, so that we can bear the Glory which Adam was made to bear, as a son of God.
I gave the Scripture passages on our being a "worm", in our Adam flesh. Psalm 22 is prophetic of Jesus on the cross, when He bore our sins; became a worm for us; tasted our death of separation from the Father, and died for us; descended to Sheol beneath for us; rose for us; and is ascended and is glorified for us; so that He can share that Glory with us, when He regenerates our bodies to His own image in the regeneration of them -which is the metamorphosis of them from the "Adam worm" to the glorious image of the Son of God.

Psa 17:15 "As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness".

If we are born again in Christ, we are then "dead" to the old man nature and we are alive in the New Man nature with Christ and truly hidden [like the pupa in the chrysalis], in God with Christ; and we are spiritually seated in the heavenlies with Christ. Where He is, we are; for we are one in Spirit in Him.
1Cr 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
Col 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

Also, the entire creation, except for the Lake of Fire, is going to go through a true "metamorphosis" at the regeneration of it.

Isa 34:4 And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling [fig] from the fig tree.
2Cr 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of [this] tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
2Pe 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:19 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
*yeshuasavedme* speaks straight from selected Jack Chick tracts.
http://www.chick.com/bc/2004/fossil.asp

Here's more of the script:
http://www.truthandscience.net/quotes.htm

Old 08-10-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
*yeshuasavedme* speaks straight from selected Jack Chick tracts.

Really – How Old IS That Fossil?
No, I don't.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
O...Did you look at the links I posted about giants? Do you agree with them?
The Israelites built Rameses up. There were no giants ruling Egypt nor depicted as larger than the humans at that time, as there are in the Sumerian tablets.
The Pharaoh who had the Israelites to come work building up Ramses and Pithom was no giant; but he was the one who made their lives bitter after the death of Joseph, who had ruled Egypt before him, under his father and grandfather.
As pr. the Book of Jasher [which was written by Moses and Joshua], The short little man who ruled as the Pharaoh of the Exodus was the son of the Pharaoh who enslaved Israel by trickery and made them work without pay, building up Rameses and Pithom [except for the tribe of Levi, who did not fall for the trickery that enslaved the other 11 tribes; which is why Aaron, son of Levi, could freely depart Israel to go to Moses in Midian].
Quote:
Jasher 65:31-38 Book of Jasher 65
And the children of Israel built Pithom and Rameses, and all the children of Israel did the work, some making bricks, and some building, and the children of Israel built and fortified all the land of Egypt and its walls, and the children of Israel were engaged in work for many years, until the time came when the Lord remembered them and brought them out of Egypt. But the children of Levi were not employed in the work with their brethren of Israel, from the beginning unto the day of their going forth from Egypt.
For all the children of Levi knew that the Egyptians had spoken all these words with deceit to the Israelites, therefore the children of Levi refrained from approaching to the work with their brethren.
And the Egyptians did not direct their attention to make the children of Levi work afterward, since they had not been with their brethren at the beginning, therefore the Egyptians left them alone.
And the hands of the men of Egypt were directed with continued severity against the children of Israel in that work, and the Egyptians made the children of Israel work with rigor.
And the Egyptians embittered the lives of the children of Israel with hard work, in mortar and bricks, and also in all manner of work in the field.
And the children of Israel called Melol the king of Egypt "Meror, king of Egypt," because in his days the Egyptians had embittered their lives with all manner of work.
And all the work wherein the Egyptians made the children of Israel labor, they exacted with rigor, in order to afflict the children of Israel, but the more they afflicted them, the more they increased and grew, and the Egyptians were grieved because of the children of Israel.
Quote:
Gen 47:11 And Joseph placed his father and his brethren, and gave them a possession in the land of Egypt, in the best of the land, in the land of Rameses, as Pharaoh had commanded.

Num 33:3 And they departed from Rameses in the first month, on the fifteenth day of the first month; on the morrow after the passover the children of Israel went out with an high hand in the sight of all the Egyptians.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
The Israelites built Rameses up. There were no giants ruling Egypt nor depicted as larger than the humans at that time, as there are in the Sumerian tablets.
The Pharaoh who had the Israelites to come work building up Ramses and Pithom was no giant; but he was the one who made their lives bitter after the death of Joseph, who had ruled Egypt before him, under his father and grandfather.
As pr. the Book of Jasher [which was written by Moses and Joshua], The short little man who ruled as the Pharaoh of the Exodus was the son of the Pharaoh who enslaved Israel by trickery and made them work without pay, building up Rameses and Pithom [except for the tribe of Levi, who did not fall for the trickery that enslaved the other 11 tribes; which is why Aaron, son of Levi, could freely depart Israel to go to Moses in Midian].

Quote:
The Israelites built Rameses up.
Which Ramese was that?

Quote:
There were no giants ruling Egypt nor depicted as larger than the humans at that time, as there are in the Sumerian tablets.
Just a note: You made a slight spelling error. It's Ramses, not Ramese. No problem though, I knew who you meant.

How do you know there were no giants ruling Egypt? Seems to me the evidence is rather clear. Why else would the Israelites have built such a gigantic statue? That is unless they knew from their own eyes that Ramses II really was a colossal giant. Just because the Israelites and whoever else was involved in the design and construction of the statue, does not prove Ramses II wasn't a giant. The statue itself, being gigantic, should speak for itself just as clearly as the giants in the Sumerian tablets.

After all, didn't David kill Goliath, which was long after the enslavement of the Israelites in Egypt? Wasn't Goliath also described as being a giant (although no where near as tall as previous giants)?

Your quote from Jasher 65 says absolutely nothing about Ramese II. The only name mentioned is "Melol" or "Meror". There was a long line of pharaohs named Ramses in the 19th and 20th Egyptian Dynasty of the New Kingdom Period.

Here's a listing of all known pharaohs of Egypt. There is no one named Melol or Meror listed.
Pharaohs Timeline

Old 08-10-2009, 01:19 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default What Christian REALLY think about Evolution and the Geologic column

"It is critical that our youngsters understand the danger of believing evolution. If it is true, then the Bible is false. If it is true, then there can be no absolute moral standard and no sin, since we are all just animals. If it is true, then it is right to kill the weak to assist the progress of natural selection. If it is true, then the sexual taboos should be abandoned so that everyone can have sexual enjoyment with everyone else, including children and other animals."

Really – How Old IS That Fossil?

So... Evolution (and thus scientific evaluations and deductions) equivalate with immoral sexual behavior? With no moral standards? Sex with animals? Killing the weak? (Spanish Inquisition, where art thou?) Never crossed my atheistic, Evolutionary mind, frankly, and this amounts to outright slander, just so you know!

"Else we're all just animals" (at least they got that part right, rather than the arrogant Godly falsehood of claiming "Dominion Over the Lesser Beasts" tripe). Now THAT'S dangerous, especially to the animals who co-evolved here. Too bad they didn't just eat us all up when they had the chance

I've learned to not take this nonsense and it's champions seriously. Ditto with playground insinuations by nasty and mean children! Same basic quality. Else I'd be so professionally and morally insulted I'd probably have to do something drastic to stop this tirade of lies!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:30 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
There were no giants ruling Egypt nor depicted as larger than the humans at that time, as there are in the Sumerian tablets.
We agree that there were no giants. However,ancient Egyptian art - sculpture, relief, wall friezes - traditionally depicts the rulers larger than their subjects. It's a distinguishing feature of Egyptian art of the time.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:31 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
"It is critical that our youngsters understand the danger of believing evolution. If it is true, then the Bible is false. If it is true, then there can be no absolute moral standard and no sin, since we are all just animals. If it is true, then it is right to kill the weak to assist the progress of natural selection. If it is true, then the sexual taboos should be abandoned so that everyone can have sexual enjoyment with everyone else, including children and other animals."
I was under the impression that evolution actually precluded animals having sex with other animals. In fact, differentiating between species, is often defined as populations that are unable to successfully breed or even care to.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:37 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Nea1 could you show us the link that reveals that the fossil found by Alvis Delk is a fake? Did they come to this conclusion after a scientific review? Or is that conclusion just based on someone's personal opinion?
It's the other way around. Delk has to show he's right and that his single find is sufficient to overthrow a few hundred years of geological data contradicting him. He needs to submit better data and address the criticism directed at the find.

Personally, I find it unconvincing, but I'm not the expert. That's what paleontologists are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality