Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:50 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times

Advertisements

Christians often like to say that the Law of the OT doesn't apply to them. This is contradictory to what Jesus actually said though.

Matthew 5:17-20 Think not I came to destroy the law. I came not to abolish the law of the prophets but to fulfill. Not one stroke, not one word of the law shall pass until heaven and earth disappear.

Jesus seems to make it fairly clear that the law of the OT didn't go away. Why is it that christians often like to say that the OT law doesn't apply to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:58 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Because if you throw away more than half of your holy book, many contradictions evaporate.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:13 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,575,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Christians often like to say that the Law of the OT doesn't apply to them. This is contradictory to what Jesus actually said though.

Matthew 5:17-20 Think not I came to destroy the law. I came not to abolish the law of the prophets but to fulfill. Not one stroke, not one word of the law shall pass until heaven and earth disappear.

Jesus seems to make it fairly clear that the law of the OT didn't go away. Why is it that christians often like to say that the OT law doesn't apply to them?
Where did you get that information,it definitely applies to this Christian,we still keep the commandments.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:19 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Why is it that christians often like to say that the OT law doesn't apply to them?
Well it's like this. When they see something they like, say something that allows them to castigate homosexuals for example, the Bible becomes the 'infallible and unchanging' word of their god. But when they see something that they don't like, such as 'if someone takes your things don't ask for them back' or 'sell all your possessions, give the money to the poor and following me', then it's time for interpretation, context, hidden messages, secret codes and their favourite...."it doesn't mean what it says." We suddenly need "interpretation" or some king of hidden code or message to understand what it means, yet when we have words or scripture that support the Christian message....no interpretation, message or secret code is necessary.

e.g
Jesus loves = "Love" means love. No need to look at it in any other way other than how it's written.

Jesus says hate your family = "Hate" doesn't actually mean hate! You need to read it in this, that or some other way to understand the proper perspective needed to read and comprehend scripture.

Christians seem to object so strongly to what their own Bible says that they insist we accept their edits to the Bible rather than the words of the Bible itself and then they tell us that we're twisting the word .....by presenting it exactly as it appears. They appear to think it necessary to plunge their Bibles into soapy water and scrub it clean. Talk about scriptures that portray their god as unmerciful, vicious, murderous and jealous and they will tell you that those things didn't really happen, they are "Metaphor" or "Allegory" or that we don't know how to interpret scripture correctly. Talk about scriptures where their god is portrayed as loving, forgiving and benevolent and we are told that we are to accept what is written......talk about having your cake and eating it!!

When Christians want to proclaim they understand what words say, they can read them without any 'list of rules' or 'interpretation'. But when they don't like what something says, yet can't dispute the actually wording, they instead imply that a special set of rules is necessary. ........and your proof for that is they they can easily understand what people here are saying ....without a list of rules they're convinced they must have in order to understand what is written.

But I digress! The Torah states that 'the Laws endureth forever'. This was, as you say, confirmed by the man-god when he said that he had not come to abolish the laws but to fulfill them. . But because the majority of Christians don't want to abide by the strict laws of the Torah, they claim that in this case, the word 'fulfill' actually means 'abolish'.

Mind you! If they don't want to comply with such teachings, who can blame them? If someone tries to take what I have worked to have, I'm not at all opposed to taking back what is mine. But at least I'm not being so insincere as to try to hide behind claims of contextual metamorphosis in pursuit of a proposed justification for not doing what I claim to be doing.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:29 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Where did you get that information,it definitely applies to this Christian,we still keep the commandments.
Ah, so you still adhere to the old laws do you? Have you stoned anyone lately, or gouged out your own eye? Perhaps you have cut off your hand?

No, I didn't think so. Nobody follows the old testament laws, at least not in America.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:30 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Because if you throw away more than half of your holy book, many contradictions evaporate.
This.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:33 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post

See that is the old cop out answer. We are told that the bible is THE word of god...inspired by god...EVERY word of it....but yet "they" say that we only have to keep the 10 commandments that were given to Moses. What about the rest? Were they just made up by Moses as he went along or were they GOD INSPIRED?! If they were indeed god inspired then they are indeed commandments of GOD himself and if god never changes then he would still want these laws kept.

This is one the issues I had when I was in church. They would pick some of those laws that they said we had to follow such as women not wearing men's clothing and tithing for example. But not others such as stoning and sacrifices. Then they would use scriptures like John 14:15 (If you love me you'll keep my commandments) to say we had to follow those hand picked OT laws. Now if Jesus is indeed god and the OT is God's WORD then all of those laws are commandments of Jesus. Right?

Old 08-09-2009, 04:49 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Jesus Himself broke the Mosaic Law several times.

In the Old Testament, the collection of food on the Sabbath is strictly forbidden:
Exodus 16:28-29: The Lord has given you the Sabbath; therefore on the sixth day he gives you bread for two days. Remain each of you in his place; let no one go out of his place on the seventh day.
In the Gospel of Mark, however, Jesus and his disciples broke this Mosaic commandment. Challenged by the Pharisees, Jesus justified their actions:
Mark 2:23-27: One Sabbath he was going through the grainfields, and as they made their way, his disciples began to pluck heads of grain. And the Pharisees were saying to him, "Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?" …And he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."

He also healed on the Sabbath, strictly forbidden.

-----------------------------------------------------------

From the passage you quoted, Jesus said He fulfilled the OT law. If something is fulfilled, isn't it complete?

fulfill

–verb (used with object) to carry out, or bring to realization, as a prophecy or promise.to satisfy (requirements, obligations, etc.): a book that fulfills a long-felt need.

to bring to an end; finish or complete, as a period of time

Luke 22:20

20In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
in the mideast they stone the infidels. that means the unfaithful. here we allow you to badmouth us 24/7, aka freedom of speech.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:09 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
When Christians want to proclaim they understand what words say, they can read them without any 'list of rules' or 'interpretation'. But when they don't like what something says, yet can't dispute the actually wording, they instead imply that a special set of rules is necessary. ........and your proof for that is they they can easily understand what people here are saying ....without a list of rules they're convinced they must have in order to understand what is written.
SO true, so true. My favorite line is "you cannot understand scripture unless you are a believer guided by the holy spirit"

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality