U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:31 AM

63 posts, read 30,985 times

Advertisements

Do Christians really believe that snakes can talk, people can fly, walk on water, separate the Red Sea with a stick, etc... I might as well start believing in Harry Potter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 12:00 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,845,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusX View Post
Do Christians really believe that snakes can talk, people can fly, walk on water, separate the Red Sea with a stick, etc... I might as well start believing in Harry Potter.
If you are truly interested in what you ask and havent come to the table with an apriori-philosophical bias for atheism, then go here : www.impactapologetics.com

Last edited by RVlover; 08-15-2009 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: changed..

Old 08-15-2009, 12:36 PM

2,739 posts, read 5,514,002 times
Quote:

I don't know ANY Christian (and never have) who believes those things can (routinely) happen, UNLESS there is some kind of direct intervention from God. In the case of the events you describe, that is exactly what happened. It is what is known as a miracle: something that is scientifically impossible to happen...does. (I have had them happen to me) Do we Christians really believe God can, and has, done things, like you describe? Yes, we do. He is a miracle-working God.

Bud

Old 08-15-2009, 01:14 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,414,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I don't know ANY Christian (and never have) who believes those things can (routinely) happen, UNLESS there is some kind of direct intervention from God. In the case of the events you describe, that is exactly what happened. It is what is known as a miracle: something that is scientifically impossible to happen...does. (I have had them happen to me) Do we Christians really believe God can, and has, done things, like you describe? Yes, we do. He is a miracle-working God.

Bud

Yes, we do . . . .as a former agnostic . . . I can understand your queston, and it's inference.

But as Bud said, he is a miracle-working God, and also a loving compassionate God, who through His Grace, revealed to myself, a cynical skeptic, that he is Mighty, and truly a Saviour.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:25 PM

19,081 posts, read 9,334,785 times
Do atheists really believe there is no God , we descend from apes , believe in the big bang theory,that science is the answer to everything,that the things that are seen are more real than the things unseen ? pffft , if you think this way i am suprised you don't believe in Harry Potter

Last edited by pcamps; 08-15-2009 at 02:51 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 01:28 PM

12,393 posts, read 14,931,837 times
Quote:
I think before He sent Himself to us in His son Jesus (who showed us God in the flesh) He may have had to do some really amazing things to get our attention..

Old 08-15-2009, 01:35 PM

4,273 posts, read 3,666,910 times
Quote:

What chapter are you on?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:18 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,845,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post

Bud
True Bud. Because God exists, miracles are possible. In fact, hes already performed the greatest miracle ever : Bringing our Universe into existence out of nothing . Things like turning a Snake into a stick then back into a snake again , or water into wine, or walking on water, etc... are minor pastimes compared to the Big miracle of Creation . A personal theistic Creator who is all powerful does occassionally intervene in history to do miracles ---- every true Christian whos had a real life changing experience thru Christ is no less of a miracle . There are an enormous amount of modern day miracles besides ... Val Thomas for instance, who was totally dead for 17 hours (flat lined on the hospital screen) and in fact so dead that rigor mortis had set in on her feet....instantly came back to life again and without any lasting effects. Do a google under Val Thomas . Her experience is confirmed by Doctors and a Nurse who were present at the time. Our God is an awesome God and is worthy of our complete trust , hope, and praise --- it is the prideful and foolish who would rather continue to make up excuses for not moving in his direction. Dont do that because it wont be worth it in the final analysis.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:53 PM

20,030 posts, read 20,868,407 times
Quote:
I don't know any Christians that believe people can do any of these things. After all it was God who walked on the water and parted the Red Sea, not man.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:50 AM

1,632 posts, read 2,218,663 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality