Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:09 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
The cross points straight up to God and that's how I will approach God. One on one. The cross also points horizontal. That's how I will approach y'all. One on One, toe to toe and eye to eye.
I really, really like that.

If the cross and who died on it is how you approach God, I'd say that's enough.(although it isn't my call)

but

If the cross and who died on it is how you approach me, I promise you that's enough.(and that is my call)

Old 05-17-2007, 12:34 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
Anyone who has been washed in the Blood of the Lamb so that their names are written in the Book of Life is going to heaven, no matter whether or not they've been divorced.

This doesn't mean that God likes divorce. The Bible makes it very clear that He hates it, and Jesus said that only if your spouse is unfaithful should you get a divorce.

Bottom line: if you are saved you are saved and nothing is going to change that. But if someone who says they are saved goes around killing people and doing really, really bad things, hoping they will go to heaven anyway.... well, I would doubt the sincerity of their repentance in the first place. This doesn't mean that they can't repent and be saved, but obviously their life is not reflecting the inner new creation the Bible speaks of after being born again.

So, the question then is not whether or not a particular sin will send you to hell, but whether or not that sin has been forgiven by Jesus Christ who died so you could go to heaven.
I agree with this response. "Sins" do not send us to hell. The only thing that keeps us from heaven is UNBELIEF in Jesus Christ as our Savior. If you read anywhere in the bible 'how to be saved', each verse will say 'believe on the Lord Jesus Christ' or words to that effect. I have never read that it says "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and stay married to the same spouse your entire life...." It's not there. Without belief, we are condemned already. (John 3:18)

And "believe" in these verses means to have faith; to entrust. (From the Greek pisteuo.)

Old 05-17-2007, 03:06 PM

18,012 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar001 View Post
OK, McGowdog,

Realize ONE THING.....you are totally NOT going to hell........I actually have ALOT of respect for you.......I'm an Irish Catholic myself....(spent WAY too many years in Catholic school)...(so I totally know all about what you're talking about (and yea, like you, I have seen it all (putting it mildly!).I am totally searching for another church... if you've actually found one......please let me know......Thanks SO much for your input! And remember, you're NOT going to hell..........take it easy on yourself...........I'm sure you're NOT such a horrible person.
Thank you. I'm sure I could have gone and talked with Father Jude in Denver or Father McQue in Colorado Springs about the whole thing.

There's another side of the story. About two years after the divorce I was really getting back on my feet and doing much better physically, mentally and spiritually as my true spritual journey had just started. My peers told me that I must pray for my enemies and adversaries in a humble and kind way. I did so, sometimes against my will. My ex was hiding from me the fact that she was also bolemic and that she liked to steal. She was getting into good shape near the end there and I thought that I'd caught her purging after a meal but she told me it wasn't my business. It still hurt me to see it happen. She had no need to steal as she was pulling down about 43K/year which was more than I was making and she had a fine career ahead of her. Well, she wound up on the news. Embezzlement, fraud, and forgery- more than 10 counts of felony and she took a hit on one of them as a person in a position of trust. How do I know this? Public records. I confirmed this and that she'd remarried in 98' about two years ago. It made me sick to my stomache still. So much for the prayer.

Maybe Karma is awaiting those who won't repent or reconcile. I had to move on and it was a slow process.

Now I can start again with concerning myself about Heaven or Hell.

Last edited by McGowdog; 05-17-2007 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-17-2007, 04:18 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Quote:
Do the Divorced go to Hell?
No, they've already been there and get off with time served.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:32 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,366 times
Thought the Divorced where already there , with alimony, child support, and still having to tolerate the other, for the kids sake. If that isn't hell I don't know what is. Well Marriage after the honeymoon. But that is another story.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:16 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
I've already been to hell, thats why I got a divorce...

Old 05-18-2007, 06:14 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I could imagine what the bible says about this, but which bible?

I was married Catholic to my first wife. We were young. We partied a lot. Things were good for a time. Perhaps we were growing spiritually. But to say we were not growing together was an understatement. As my drinking began to increase, the law caught up with me. I got sober. A couple of years later, we had grown apart. She found another guy that was married with a 1 year old son and a 3 year old daughter. I wasn't sure, but his wife told me that my wife was having an affair with her husband. I tried to beat him up infront of his work place on a Sunday morning while he was driving away with her. I went and got drunk. I begged her to come back to me. She denied the affair. But she wanted me gone. She served me the divorce papers. Two years later, it was public records; they got married. I haven't seen her since.

Years later, I found another woman. She'd never married. We are happily married now and I'm sober again.

According to your book I'm going to Hell and what about my wife?

I know one thing. I'm not Catholic anymore. My God isn't either.
I'm very sorry for your heartache...been there. Nothing hurts worse than a cheating spouse. I certainly don't believe we are going to hell for being divorced. I know I'm going to heaven and I'm twice divorced. If I'm judged for anything it will be for my incredibly idiotic choices in husbands.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:08 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,259 times
If you are a Christian who believes in Jesus, even if you've gone through a divorce, you will not go to hell.

If you've become divorced from a non-believer and get remarried you are not an adulterer.

Our pastor has addressed this topic at length in an adult Bible study exclusively for couples and these are the reasonable and allowable Biblical grounds (that I agree with) for divorce: adultery & abuse. Are those the ONLY reasons people divorce? No, but Biblically that's what they're narrowed down to. The reason for this, in my belief, is that all other problems can be solved through work by both people with God to resolve the problems.

Entering into marriage is taken too lightly now a days which is causing a lot of the divorces. Marriage was ordained by God. Those entering marriage should both be on the same page. The Bible says you should not yoke yourself with an unbeliever. If both people approach the marriage on the same page and follow the Biblical principles established for marriage, this should reduce the need for divorce.

All too often, people get all caught up in the "Hollywood" version of love - fireworks, great chemistry, etc. etc. However, in my opinion, true love is best explained by the "Love Chapter" - I Corintians 13:4-13 ( http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...0;&version=31;). If more couples went into marriage expecting to practice and experience the love explained there, I believe this would also reduce the divorce rate.

NOTE: It is a sad fact that marriages between couples who identify themselves as Christians have almost the same divorce rate as those who identify themselves as non-Christian .

Old 05-22-2007, 07:56 PM

37 posts, read 173,720 times
Default I swear...

Hey Sam,

I TOTALLY swear to God Himself.........what happened today......was TOTALLY NOT DONE on purpose....I totally WORKED MY ASS OFF.....TO GET THIS DONE RIGHT FOR YOU....how was I supposed to know that the box of USPTO forms was no good??? (Hello, why were they there in the first place???) I'm not a freaking sicic.(can't spell that) I KNOW you're TOTALLY gonna blame me.....(telling everyone I did it on purpose.....to get back at you........for all you've done to me....(Hello, I see a TOTAL GUILTY FEELING HERE........I'M NOT LIKE YOU.......................you jerk.....but I swear to God I didn't.....(and lets just face it....everything worked out in the end....and yes, even Marta (42 years).......didn't even notice anything wrong! So it wasn't just me Buckwheet!...Just like it wasn't just me with the other one, it was, oh yes, YOU, Bettyann, and me, we ALL ****ed up.(you know the one that you ran around telling everyone......"she scares me, she's out to get me: you ****ing idiot........YOU'RE the one that's been out to get ME (and I'd love to know why???????! Ijust know that my husband is so totally sick of me coming home crying every night........praying to get through one more day with you.........Sam, damn, all I ever tried to do, was do the right thing.......that's obviously not good enough for you!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:01 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar001 View Post
Hey Sam,

I TOTALLY swear to God Himself.........what happened today......was TOTALLY NOT DONE on purpose....I totally WORKED MY ASS OFF.....TO GET THIS DONE RIGHT FOR YOU....how was I supposed to know that the box of USPTO forms was no good??? (Hello, why were they there in the first place???) I'm not a freaking sicic.(can't spell that) I KNOW you're TOTALLY gonna blame me.....(telling everyone I did it on purpose.....to get back at you........for all you've done to me....(Hello, I see a TOTAL GUILTY FEELING HERE........I'M NOT LIKE YOU.......................you jerk.....but I swear to God I didn't.....(and lets just face it....everything worked out in the end....and yes, even Marta (42 years).......didn't even notice anything wrong! So it wasn't just me Buckwheet!...Just like it wasn't just me with the other one, it was, oh yes, YOU, Bettyann, and me, we ALL ****ed up.(you know the one that you ran around telling everyone......"she scares me, she's out to get me: you ****ing idiot........YOU'RE the one that's been out to get ME (and I'd love to know why???????! Ijust know that my husband is so totally sick of me coming home crying every night........praying to get through one more day with you.........Sam, damn, all I ever tried to do, was do the right thing.......that's obviously not good enough for you!
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? What the flark did I miss? ETA: Is this about your husband? If so, I'm sorry this is all going on for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality