Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 10:24 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times

Advertisements

Did god actually ordain it ... or was it the words of others written in a book many years later after the death of Jesus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,132,711 times
I like what this guy says about it....

"I am always amazed at how the Bible, that portrays my Lord embracing the outcasts, touching the lepers, welcoming the Samaritans, not judging the woman taken in the act of adultery, and inviting 'all of ye,' not 'some of ye,' to 'come unto me,' can, in the hands of a few distorted people be turned into a book of hatred, violence and judgment." J.S. Spong, an author and retired bishop of the Episcopal Church, USA

Old 08-21-2009, 10:33 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

"I am always amazed at how the Bible, that portrays my Lord embracing the outcasts, touching the lepers, welcoming the Samaritans, not judging the woman taken in the act of adultery, and inviting 'all of ye,' not 'some of ye,' to 'come unto me,' can, in the hands of a few distorted people be turned into a book of hatred, violence and judgment." J.S. Spong, an author and retired bishop of the Episcopal Church, USA
This should be used as a sticky ... and I'm not a believer! This is what I was taught true faith was about ... not man's interpretation. Thank you.

Last edited by tet tea; 08-21-2009 at 11:13 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 03:23 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theologian View Post
Would you appreciate it if someone told you they loved you while punching you in the nose? Or your wife/girlfriend/husband/whatever told you they loved you, then slept around with someone else?

If we claim that we love God our actions should reflect it.

That's what's wrong with theology: too much theo not enough logi.

The analogy to be beter suited to proving something should be:

Would you appreciate it if someone told you they loved you while someone else, waving a Bible, said they couldn't love you because they also loved their pet dog/ or (depending on what your analogy is supoosed to prove), couldn't love you because they didn't wear a headscarf when they went out...'look it says here...'

What's the point. We say we see no reason that a god shouldn't love gays. A book written by acidulous Hassidim who disapproved of everything from kings to foreign wives is not to be taken as truly conveying that god's opinion. Paul's opinions are of no more value, either, but I suppose we can't expect even the Lutheran church to think as far as that.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:33 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
Did god actually ordain it ... or was it the words of others written in a book many years later after the death of Jesus?
Same difference..

Everything "god" has ordained was made up and written by men. Most of which was plagiarized.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,816 times
Quote:
For 2000 years Christianity has condemned it, but only recently have they started to allow it. I really think it's a case of interpreting scripture by the culture.
Actually, it hasn't been condemned for 2000 years. It is only within the past 3-400 years that the Bible has been used - by way of accidental or deliberate mistranslation - to condemn homosexuality. As late as 100 years ago, some of the verses now used against homosexuals were translated to mean masturbaters! The word homosexual never showed up in any Bible translation until about 1946!

Old 08-22-2009, 09:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Actually, it hasn't been condemned for 2000 years. It is only within the past 3-400 years that the Bible has been used - by way of accidental or deliberate mistranslation - to condemn homosexuality. As late as 100 years ago, some of the verses now used against homosexuals were translated to mean masturbaters! The word homosexual never showed up in any Bible translation until about 1946!
So, the M word is a bad thing, too ? Sheesh ! Such an uptight bunch of bible scholars. Even animals do the M word. Does God get all hissy about that, as well ?

Old 08-22-2009, 09:30 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,875 times
This decision by the ELCA concerns me because, as part of the universal church, what they do affects me. The church is defined as the body of believers worldwide. Denomination has nothing to do with it. It is difficult to watch that part of the church ignore scripture.

There is a difference between God loving everyone (of course, God loves everyone) and the Lutheran church permitting those who are living contrary to the teachings of scripture to be in spiritual authority. No good can come from this. The culture should not be dictating to the church.

I'm told a tornado struck the convention center in Minneapolis during the Lutheran Assembly meeting. There was damage to the steeple of the Lutheran church next door and some minor damage around the convention center. Glad no one was hurt. Hmmm. How do I know this? Someone I know was in attendance.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:12 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Yes, Jesus was accepting of the sinners. He also told the woman caught in adultery to "go and sin no more". He didn't just tell her to do what she wanted to and that God loved her regardless.
I believe that according to your bible Jesus also said "Judge not, lest you be judged"

Old 08-22-2009, 10:41 AM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

No one said anything about God not loving people. However, we cannot live our lives any old way we want & expect God to just look the other way. God has given us a set of rules to live by for our good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality