Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:15 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I believe in life after death, but not some heaven where we sit around all day and worship a childish God.
Me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
When the existence of something can't be proven (in this case an afterlife), then the most logical position is the negative (aka nonbelief). If you disagree, then you can't reject my claim that there are invisible pink elephants in my house.
My guess is that you assume that the only way to satisfactorily prove something to one's own mind is to use manufactured tools and the scientific method, or to accept that someone else did that and accurately reported the results.

Religious people tend to accept the duality of man (physical and spiritual being) and spiritual experiences as valid sources of discovery.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:36 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
This might sound like an odd thing to say but I feel that I can actually sense that my consciousness is inside my brain as I sit here typing. When you stop and think about it our brains are constantly being bombarded with information from our senses which is being processed by our brains and we obviously react to what our senses are telling us. I can't imagine any other place where my consciousness could be to tell you the truth.
When you make the effort to understand who or what the "we" or "I" that is doing all this interpreting of the sensory inputs, etc. IS . . . you might be well on your way to a wider world.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:57 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
MysticPhD wrote:
Quote:
When you make the effort to understand who or what the "we" or "I" that is doing all this interpreting of the sensory inputs, etc. IS . . . you might be well on your way to a wider world.
Hi, I haven't seen many of your posts lately but I always find them interesting. Let me put it this way, every fiber of my being tells me that I'm a single individual and not part of a larger pool of individuals in which the word "we" might be a more accurate description of human existence. I strongly believe that consciousness is purely a biological function which I'm sure you have read in my posts many times. I can't conceive of any process in nature that might somehow merge my personal consciousness with any other human being or any conscious entity. That's just my point of view and it would take a mountain of evidence to change it.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I've actually experienced what I would consider post-death consciousness, but it was chemically induced.
Drugs can kill you.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:07 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Drugs can kill you.
If you overdo them, yes. In reality, most are no more harmful/harmless than prescription drugs at regulated doses.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Sleep through all your science classes?
Took Geology101 as my one compulsory hard science.

Human learning and memory was interesting though.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:32 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Athiests can have faith, or convictions about nature, and humanity. If consciousness transcends physical death, athiests have the same situation as any of us, God or no god. I believe that Nature waste's nothing. God, to me is the ultimate creator, collector, and recycler.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:10 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Quote:
My guess is that you assume that the only way to satisfactorily prove something to one's own mind is to use manufactured tools and the scientific method, or to accept that someone else did that and accurately reported the results.

Religious people tend to accept the duality of man (physical and spiritual being) and spiritual experiences as valid sources of discovery.
Well we challenge the notion that these experiences are valid or reliable sources of truth.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:

Okay, now I'm officially one with you.
Religious people who believe in green elves and gods in their heavens is so much more accurate than the scientific method.
The absurdity of your post has officially done me in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality