Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 04:32 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post

1. You mean like how everyone thought that drought was caused by angry gods or the idea that everything was poofed into existence at once not too long ago? Yeah all those ideas were forever rejected.

2. No, I contend that you are just looking for an excuse to believe in these myths. This isn't about science but rather about people who suddenly decide to abandon reason just because they would rather feel good about themselves than to look at things objectively

3. You "stand back" and see an elephant
Someone else "stands back" and sees a cow
Another person "stands back" and sees 3 whales

This is because these "methods" aren't about finding out what's true and what's not. It's about believing in the myths people like best which is different for everyone.

4. In the end we have people who claim different things, people who say everyone else is wrong and people who spend their lives trying to explain or ignore this instead of doing the reasonable thing.
1. I guess I'm not keeping up with science trends lately. Has the "Big Bang" where everything was "poofed into existence" now gone to the trash heap of even more modern science, or am I misunderstanding you?

2. I suppose you could also classify earlier scientific discoveries that were once thought to be true but have since been proven wrong as "myths". Humans tend to learn line upon line, each new discovery and invention building upon or launched from another. Nobody invented the 2009 Cadillac STS, it's a culmination of thousands of other discoveries/inventions.

3. Believe it or not, some of those people actually see the elephant! Some others choose instead to see turtles.

4. The "reasonable thing" being of course to keep one's mind open, to have tolerance for the beliefs of others, to individually adapt as best one can to an ever-changing world, and to be prepared for the inevitability of one's dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
You keep saying things like this as if everyone agrees. The whole point is that many people don't. So what sort of test can we propose to figure out who is right? You wouldn't take the well-thought out "is not" argument as convincing; why would you expect anyone to take your "is too" assertion any differently?
I think that one is above my pay grade. I'm just content to know God and Jesus Christ whom He has sent as best I can with my mortal limitations and within the carnal nature of my physical circumstances. I look forward to a time when my awareness will not be so clouded and filtered and I will be allowed to remember fully where I came from and what I did before my spirit body arrived on this planet for its essential mortal experience and the making of choices as prelude to an eternity of learning and interacting with God and His children.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:45 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
1. I guess I'm not keeping up with science trends lately. Has the "Big Bang" where everything was "poofed into existence" now gone to the trash heap of even more modern science, or am I misunderstanding you?
The only people that say the universe came from nothing are the religious....Science doesn't say that.

Quote:
2. I suppose you could also classify earlier scientific discoveries that were once thought to be true but have since been proven wrong as "myths". Humans tend to learn line upon line, each new discovery and invention building upon or launched from another. Nobody invented the 2009 Cadillac STS, it's a culmination of thousands of other discoveries/inventions.
That's how science works...It is more about attempting to disprove something than proving it. When something is proven wrong, it is accepted as wrong, and science moves on. When is the last time a person of religion has accepted errors in their holy books?

Quote:
3. Believe it or not, some of those people actually see the elephant! Some others choose instead to see turtles.
Where are the turtles?...I don't see 'em.

Quote:
4. The "reasonable thing" being of course to keep one's mind open, to have tolerance for the beliefs of others, to individually adapt as best one can to an ever-changing world, and to be prepared for the inevitability of one's dying.
This I agree with as long as the beliefs of others do not trample on anybody's rights or freedoms.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:08 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,588 times
Quote:
Actually it's less misunderstanding me and more like spitting on the face of science.

Quote:
That's what science is all about. So what?

Quote:
And of course the reason this happens is because both the elephant and the turtle are made up. If no one can agree on these basic things then why do you think splashing the word "choose" everywhere will change things?

Quote:
I agree and having an open mind doesn't mean I have to take your word on things and ignore all others. Blind faith just gets people killed.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The only people that say the universe came from nothing are the religious....Science doesn't say that.

That's how science works...It is more about attempting to disprove something than proving it. When something is proven wrong, it is accepted as wrong, and science moves on. When is the last time a person of religion has accepted errors in their holy books?

Where are the turtles?...I don't see 'em.

This I agree with as long as the beliefs of others do not trample on anybody's rights or freedoms.
Personally I do not think that the universe came from nothing. I think that there exists and always has existed formless matter/substance/energy/intelligence call it what you will from which God organizes everything, including His spirit children.

Actually I think that many people of religion accept that there are errors in the books of the Bible, I for one certainly do. There is a very long string of fallible human minds and fingers behind each copy of the bible we have in our homes today.

I noticed a news story last week about a new bible translation about to be released. There was controversy because those who prepared it were attempting to make those ancient books politically or more specifically gender 'correct'.

You probably can't see the turtles because they tend to hide behind the pink elephants and they're known to be quite bashful. I just threw that one in because this is also a philosophy board, couldn't resist.

It's not only religious beliefs that are used as justification for trampling on the rights of others. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and "turn the other cheek" are teachings of Jesus Christ that if applied diligently worldwide would help make this world a much saner and happier place in which to dwell.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:35 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,607 times
Quote:
I guess this exclude the gays folk in CA who believe it is their right to marry the one they love?

You mormons cannot make bland statements like this and expect to get away with it.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
I guess this exclude the gays folk in CA who believe it is their right to marry the one they love? You mormons cannot make bland statements like this and expect to get away with it.
Your comments are way off topic but by way of a quick response that hopefully doesn't open a can of worms that should wriggle around in their own thread, it is my understanding that people in California who choose to have sexual relations with those of the same gender can live with whoever they want to live with. Polygamists marry several partners at the same time. I suppose homosexuals could also marry in the same fashion if that's what they really want to do.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:38 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,865 times
Quote:
I think that one is above my pay grade. I'm just content to know God and Jesus Christ whom He has sent as best I can with my mortal limitations and within the carnal nature of my physical circumstances. I look forward to a time when my awareness will not be so clouded and filtered and I will be allowed to remember fully where I came from and what I did before my spirit body arrived on this planet for its essential mortal experience and the making of choices as prelude to an eternity of learning and interacting with God and His children.
It sounds like you have no reason or logic for believing in spirits or the afterlife, only wishing it were true because it lines up with your hopes for eternal life and a planet of your own when you die. Since there's no reason to believe it, I guess it doesn't take faith to ignore the supernatural after all. With no reason to worry about it, the only reasonable thing to do is ignore it like everything else that's totally unobserved and unexplained. There's no faith involved in this decision, which is what we've been saying all along.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
It sounds like you have no reason or logic for believing in spirits or the afterlife, only wishing it were true because it lines up with your hopes for eternal life and a planet of your own when you die. Since there's no reason to believe it, I guess it doesn't take faith to ignore the supernatural after all. With no reason to worry about it, the only reasonable thing to do is ignore it like everything else that's totally unobserved and unexplained. There's no faith involved in this decision, which is what we've been saying all along.
Funny!

Old 09-08-2009, 08:57 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,581,229 times
B asic
I nstruction
B efore
L eaving
E arth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality