Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:39 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

If the Bible had been clearly written in a manner that could be understood by anyone who read it then we wouldn't have countless interpretations of what various passages mean. I truly believe that the Bible is one of the most poorly written books I've ever read for the simple reason that it is for the most part completely incomprehensible. I also think that one of the major reasons that the Christian faith has split into such a large number of sects and denominations is because Christians have been arguing among themselves about what it actually says and when like minded Christians became forceful about a particular issue they just formed another branch of Christianity.
I think every Christian would agree that the Bible is the most important book that was ever written and they would also agree that it's the inspired word of God which was given to mankind. So I have a simple question. If God is in fact the real author of the Bible and he inspired various men to write it down then why did he do such a poor job? There is controversy about the real meaning of virtually every book in the Bible. That controversy would not exist if every detail was written so clearly that that the meaning of every single passage could only be interpreted in one way. Why should that be so difficult? Afterall this is God we're talking about who never makes mistakes. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 03:42 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Because they have too, it is their way to try to justify or prove it. I don't understand it actually, why the need to interpret, if it is God's word you should not have to? Probably because it is so full of BS they have no choice.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:43 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I think every Christian would agree that the Bible is the most important book that was ever written and they would also agree that it's the inspired word of God which was given to mankind. So I have a simple question. If God is in fact the real author of the Bible and he inspired various men to write it down then why did he do such a poor job? There is controversy about the real meaning of virtually every book in the Bible. That controversy would not exist if every detail was written so clearly that that the meaning of every single passage could only be interpreted in one way. Why should that be so difficult? Afterall this is God we're talking about who never makes mistakes. Any thoughts?
Such is the nature of literature, enit?

Old 08-24-2009, 03:47 PM

63 posts, read 95,886 times
a christian told me that in the 10 commandments, not to kill, also applies when you hurt someone's feelings, he said that you have killed that person and broke a commandment, lol...

Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Fullback32 wrote:
Quote:
Such is the nature of literature, enit?
I have alot of other books of fiction besides the Bible but I can't think of one of them that I just can't figure out. I really like Charles Dickens and have read all of his books but even as large as his books are and the fact that he tended to be rather wordy and his sentences were often long I never once had to go back and try to figure out what he was saying. I have read a few philosophical books by people like Kant who I really had a tough time understanding but that is the rare exception. Almost every book can be understood unless it's extremely technical and requires a high degree of knowledge about a specific subject but that's not the case with the Bible. It's supposed to be written for all of mankind and yet nobody seems to be able to make heads or tails of it.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Because different parts of the bible say different (and contradictory) things.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:58 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,361 times
One, if this is just an attempt to slam the Bible and Christianity, then shame on you.

Two, the reason that so many different religions talk about parts of the bible in different ways is purely due to the translations. It all depends on who translated it, when it was translated, is it a translation of a translation, etc.

Language changes over the years, anyone who has been around for a few decades can tell you just how much things have changed since the 70s language wise, and that is just here in the United States. Imagine how different the language was back when the Bible was written.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:59 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
One, if this is just an attempt to slam the Bible and Christianity, then shame on you.

Two, the reason that so many different religions talk about parts of the bible in different ways is purely due to the translations. It all depends on who translated it, when it was translated, is it a translation of a translation, etc.

Language changes over the years, anyone who has been around for a few decades can tell you just how much things have changed since the 70s language wise, and that is just here in the United States. Imagine how different the language was back when the Bible was written.
Why he has a right to his beliefs just as you. He has freedom of speech as well, as do you.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:02 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
A) Shame on you for attempting to act as the Thought Police.

B) No one needs additional reasons to slam the Bible or Christianity.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:03 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Fullback32 wrote:

I have alot of other books of fiction besides the Bible but I can't think of one of them that I just can't figure out. I really like Charles Dickens and have read all of his books but even as large as his books are and the fact that he tended to be rather wordy and his sentences were often long I never once had to go back and try to figure out what he was saying. I have read a few philosophical books by people like Kant who I really had a tough time understanding but that is the rare exception. Almost every book can be understood unless it's extremely technical and requires a high degree of knowledge about a specific subject but that's not the case with the Bible. It's supposed to be written for all of mankind and yet nobody seems to be able to make heads or tails of it.
When I said, "Such is the nature of literature," I guess I was only thinking about it in terms of the interpretation piece.

As to it being all over the place, what do they say about too many cooks? But you know, concerning it being for all of mankind, well that's the rub isn't it? The OT, for example, was meant for one group of people...the Israelites. Period. Part of the reason that Christians (and so many other people for that matter) have a hard time with it and also misinterpret it is that we often do not the frame of reference, cultural context, or working knowledge of the original languages to really understand these books. There's a lot of what was written that was not necessarily what they meant. A lot of that applies to the NT as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality