Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would/could you kill and die for your religion?
I would both die and kill for it. 0 0%
I would die for it. 7 16.67%
I would kill for it. 0 0%
No, I would/could not. 35 83.33%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:43 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
How do we know that wasnt the case throughout history?
Rather vague and wildly open question don't you think? Could you be a bit more specific?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 04:03 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Rather vague and wildly open question don't you think? Could you be a bit more specific?
How do we know that when "God" was giving an order or command, it was infact God? The Crusades where thought to be started because God said so. We all know now that it wasnt.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:13 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
How do we know that when "God" was giving an order or command, it was infact God? The Crusades where thought to be started because God said so. We all know now that it wasnt.
Which crusade? There were nine of them with each being organized and fought for different reasons. By the way, who claimed it was a command from God? The first crusade was started by Pope Urban II in response to Eastern Orthodox Patriarch of Constantinople's call for assistance due to invading Muslims.

The fourth was a conflict between
Catholic and Orthodox Christians.

All of them dealt with the Holy lands in one form or another and there were "beliefs" by some of those who fought that they were just and were protected by God. Where did you read that it was a claim of divine authority from God? I don't doubt some believed as such, but this again was "man", not God.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:55 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I think it can be noble to die for your beliefs. Someone who tells you "die or abandon your beliefs" is likely a bit psycho and therefore dying is often better than appeasing such people. So generally speaking I'd say I would or would like to think I would die for certain beliefs.

I don't believe in killing except for self-defense and even then I think it's better to use non-lethal force if possible. I think it can even be noble to die rather than kill another human being. (I believe the number of situations that require you to make such choices are relatively small in the real world) Still I suppose it's not totally inconceivable a situation could exist where it would be justified to kill for one's beliefs. There are some wars that are "just wars." So if a Catholic soldier was liberating some kind of "death camp" where a regime sent Catholics I suppose this could be deemed killing for the faith. Although it could also be deemed self-defense of other persons. I can't conceive of a case where it would be okay to kill for your beliefs without self-defense being a strong motivator. (To be honest I think even many Islamists see their terrorism as self-defense in some convoluted way, Palestinians I think see it as self-defense in a somewhat simpler fashion. I'm not saying either is right)

Old 08-28-2009, 09:59 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
I don't know if I would be willing to die if it was just a matter or 'just say it' or die....I'd like to think I would rather die than verbally denounce God. Honestly though, who knows what one would do until they were in the situation. I admire saints that chose death over renouncing their God though, I'd like to think I would. Killing, heck no, hands down, and if God really did tell those people to kill others it was probably just to see if they'd do it, I bet he would have been more impressed if they refused.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:05 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,910 times
Here is a way to turn the question around.

Would you as a husband be ready and willing to put aside your own hopes and dreams for the future, learn what future dreams your wife has, and make them your own?

That is the very heart of being ready to 'give your life' for your faith...

Old 08-28-2009, 10:07 AM

Oh,,,and the New Testament does teach that all Christians must be willing and ready to put someone to death.

(Guess who that someone is?)

Old 08-28-2009, 10:11 AM

ourselves? and become new in Christ?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
ourselves? and become new in Christ?
Well done my young Jedi

Old 08-28-2009, 10:17 AM

http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/fSW_JediSquirrels.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality