Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:45 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, there are other planets which aren't perfectly suited to sustaining life as we know it here on earth, but why should they be? They're not earth, are they? So far as we know, none of them sustain life of any kind, which does tend to point out the uniqueness of our little corner of the universe. However, even if they did contain some life, it would seem obvious that they too are perfectly suited for whatever lives there.

Since we still can't find life of any kind on any other planet, even within our own solar system, how does random chance explain that?

There are billions of stars. If each of those stars has planets like our solar system, then there are several billion planets.

That gives us several billion chances to have a planet that is the right distance away from a star to support life.

If only 1 solar system in a million had a planet that was the right distance to support life, that would leave tens of thousands of earths out there.

Out of all those billions of planets, it would be suprising if none were close enough to their star to have melted water capable of supporting life, or an ecosystem that was able to otherwise adapt and evolve life.

The point being, when you consider with amazement how rare it is to have a planet exactly the right distance from a star to support life, you should also consider that there were 10's of billions of chances for a planet to be in that position. You can pick out the one example of it happening and claim it is proof of intelligent design, because you are ignore all the evidence that it wasn't.

Probablity theory might suggest that at least one planet would support life with that many shots at it. An intelligent designer is not necessary if you are given 10 billion random chances.

That is why your quote about the distance from the sun, etc. is not accurate. You are only selecting the data that confirms your hypothesis, and ignoring the data that suggest random luck could come into play.

(note, I'm not using exact figures here.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 09:00 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Well, I began to feel God and experience who He was before I even knew who He was. I didn't read the bible and wasn't taught to really know who He was. God came to me and began to reveal who He was by showing me things in my life. So, to me God is real because a Real God came to me and began to interact with me.

I didn't see or hear a burning bush, but God has shown me things on a scale of belief that I had no choice but to believe and trust what I was seeing and hearing.

So, yes, Jesus is real.
Are you really lying to us or to yourself? If you've never read the bible, wasn't taught to really know who He was, then how would you know about Jesus? That's a contradiction. You've must have read or heard about JC in order to believe as you do. There is no other way around. I can see you believing in God, but it's apparent to you that your God is the God Jesus of the bible, which according to you you've never read, but you have experience JC in your heart.
What do you say??

Old 08-31-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, there are other planets which aren't perfectly suited to sustaining life as we know it here on earth, but why should they be? They're not earth, are they? So far as we know, none of them sustain life of any kind, which does tend to point out the uniqueness of our little corner of the universe. However, even if they did contain some life, it would seem obvious that they too are perfectly suited for whatever lives there.

Since we still can't find life of any kind on any other planet, even within our own solar system, how does random chance explain that?
Your bolded part is exactly how Earth sustained life, life simply adopted to Earthly conditions, not the other way around. So you are correct, if there is life elsewhere, it is adopted to its surrounding, is it much simple then our life here? Possible, or may be, it is more complicated then you think.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Are you really lying to us or to yourself? If you've never read the bible, wasn't taught to really know who He was, then how would you know about Jesus? That's a contradiction. You've must have read or heard about JC in order to believe as you do. There is no other way around. I can see you believing in God, but it's apparent to you that your God is the God Jesus of the bible, which according to you you've never read, but you have experience JC in your heart.
What do you say??
The bible says that all will know God without aid. It's true.
It also says that God is God even by any other name. I prefer George myself.

I've also heard the theory that God is Energy, as energy is neither created nor destroyed.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
There are billions of stars. If each of those stars has planets like our solar system, then there are several billion planets.

That gives us several billion chances to have a planet that is the right distance away from a star to support life.

If only 1 solar system in a million had a planet that was the right distance to support life, that would leave tens of thousands of earths out there.

Out of all those billions of planets, it would be suprising if none were close enough to their star to have melted water capable of supporting life, or an ecosystem that was able to otherwise adapt and evolve life.

The point being, when you consider with amazement how rare it is to have a planet exactly the right distance from a star to support life, you should also consider that there were 10's of billions of chances for a planet to be in that position. You can pick out the one example of it happening and claim it is proof of intelligent design, because you are ignore all the evidence that it wasn't.

Probablity theory might suggest that at least one planet would support life with that many shots at it. An intelligent designer is not necessary if you are given 10 billion random chances.

That is why your quote about the distance from the sun, etc. is not accurate. You are only selecting the data that confirms your hypothesis, and ignoring the data that suggest random luck could come into play.

(note, I'm not using exact figures here.)

Yes, but so far, all we've found is evidence of the existance of mere 200 other planets outside our solar system and none of those by direct observation.

That tightens the odds considerably, doesn't it?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:11 PM

Well, the OP particularly stated to keep Bible out of it. Didn't he?
Now, for someone claiming not hearing/reading about Jesus, but yet knowing him as Jesus, is quiet tricky thing, don't you think?
It would be much more honest of that person to state God as God, and not God of the bible.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Your bolded part is exactly how Earth sustained life, life simply adopted to Earthly conditions, not the other way around. So you are correct, if there is life elsewhere, it is adopted to its surrounding, is it much simple then our life here? Possible, or may be, it is more complicated then you think.

Even if that is true, where did that "spark of life" come from? Why are some things on this planet living while others are just inanimate objects? If they all accidently developed in exactly the same enviornment, why the difference and what caused it?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Even if that is true, where did that "spark of life" come from? Why are some things on this planet living while others are just inanimate objects? If they all accidently developed in exactly the same enviornment, why the difference and what caused it?
What inanimate objects are you talking about?
Everything on this earth made of what? Lets have a chemistry lesson, shall we??

Old 08-31-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Well, the OP particularly stated to keep Bible out of it. Didn't he?
Now, for someone claiming not hearing/reading about Jesus, but yet knowing him as Jesus, is quiet tricky thing, don't you think?
It would be much more honest of that person to state God as God, and not God of the bible.

Let's not talk about Jesus specifically for now, but y'all bring up an interesting question in relation the existance of God.

What is it that drives people to seek something higher than themselves? Why do disparate cultures, all around the earth, in every epoch and devoid of contact with each other, come to the conclusion that there is SOMETHING more? No matter whether they explain it away by crediting the sun, animals, God as we know Him or fanciful "gods" which reflect human character, the impetus to find an explanation seems universal.

Where does that come from?

Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

In my mind, there is no way life "just happened".
No, it evolved, and it took a long time, but it has had a long time as we live in a universe estimated to be 14 Billion year old. Probably has evolved differently on many many other planets around the 10^21 (1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) of other suns in the universe.

We are nothing special, on our little petri dish in our corner of an obscure galaxy, in a universe that is billions and billions of years old.

Things 'evolve', just like the H1N1 flu has 'evolved' from it ancestors. It happens, it's natural, it is nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality