Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,305,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
It's Ma'am.
My apologies, ma'am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 12:22 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,938,717 times
Using the Rich Man and Lazarus parable to justify hell? Not so much. This explanation of it makes much more sense.

Commentary - The Parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man

Old 09-01-2009, 01:38 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,399,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niquey17 View Post
Do you go to hell at the moment of death if you are not saved
Not unless you're a Christian.

Just as the Christian Heaven is closed to us who look to other Deities, or none, so is the Christian Hell.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,682,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
No one goes to heaven or a burning "hell" after death. When we die we are unconscious until the RESURRECTION! The Bible says the dead knows nothing, even their thoughts perished when they die. (Ecc.9:5). In the future there will be a resurrection of all people to face God on Judgment Day! Where is their common sense when people believe in the myth of an immediate reward or punishment even before judgment?
If that's true (see bolded), then what did Jesus mean in this passage?
Luke 23

39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"
40But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."
42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." 43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
If that's true (see bolded), then what did Jesus mean in this passage?
Luke 23

39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"
40But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."
42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." 43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."
He didn't say anything about a burning hell now did he? He also didn't tell the other guy he wasn't going to heaven either did he?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,322,410 times
The funny thing about non-believers is that they don't care / don't believe in hell so scaring them doesn't work like it used to back in the day.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
He didn't say anything about a burning hell now did he? He also didn't tell the other guy he wasn't going to heaven either did he?
In this case, I was responding to the assertion that Heaven is not immediate. I've already expressed my opinion on whether Hell is immediate on page 1.

Are you referring to the other criminal? In that case, it seems reasonable to assume he would not be in the presence of Christ after death. He was hurling insults at Jesus. Sounds like a rejection of Christ to me.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I believe what Jesus taught is the way to heaven within. I don't believe He had to die in order for us to know that way. There are highly advanced individuals who have found Heaven within who don't worship Jesus. They can do the same things and much more than Jesus did. They don't adhere to any religion and they found the path without Jesus. What I am being taught is that the way to heaven is through Divine Love, in which all of the advance souls on earth have and have prayed for. I have found this to be true as I have experienced this Love on several occasions.
This sounds nice, but it couldn't be further from the truth. The fact is, we are all sinners. God is Holy & cannot tolerate sin. God has always required a blood sacrifice for the remission of sins. Jesus was the ultimate & final blood sacrifice for our sins. One must repent & come to Jesus by faith. Then & only then can we be reconciled to God & gain eternal life.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,327,640 times
Hell, is darkness. Hell is loneliness in that darkness. Imagine being locked up in a room with no lights, forever, torment, forever in darkness. The soul burns in madness. forever. not a good thing is it now?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
In this case, I was responding to the assertion that Heaven is not immediate. I've already expressed my opinion on whether Hell is immediate on page 1.

Are you referring to the other criminal? In that case, it seems reasonable to assume he would not be in the presence of Christ after death. He was hurling insults at Jesus. Sounds like a rejection of Christ to me.
You know what they say about assumptions, they are the mother of all F**k ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality