U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2009, 09:02 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,158,208 times
He gets angry because of the whole jealousy thing, I think. Exactly how many times has he gone psycho ex-girlfriend on people?

It's pretty funny when you think about it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 09:06 AM

23,495 posts, read 10,324,275 times
God doesn't get angry. Thats humans twisted version of "God" and trying to keep other people in line with an irrational fear of a God that doesn't view good and evil in the same way that we do. A truely timeless God, that is all powerful, and all knowing, would never get mad or angry.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 AM

1,554 posts, read 807,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Think about it. One moment you are patient and loving and the next you are angry and killing people. By definition that would be a "change" in personality and emotion. Even if it is temporary it is still a change.

God is Eternal; God does not change: God is pleased with His obedient servants, and He always dislikes the disbelievers and wrong-doers.

This means His way of dealing is standard and is the same: e.g. He deals with disbelievers in the same way:

How is that?

Generally: People will grow arrogant, proud and wrong-doers; He misguides them – He sends them some apostles to warn them of the consequences of their associating others with God – they will not accept the admonition and will keep up on their idolatry – He exterminates them according to His standard way of dealing with the idolaters and disbelievers.

First Example: His dealing with the hypocrites and their acts against their apostle at any period of time:
this is in the Quran 33: 60-62
لَئِن لَّمْ يَنتَهِ الْمُنَافِقُونَ وَالَّذِينَ فِي قُلُوبِهِم مَّرَضٌ وَالْمُرْجِفُونَ فِي الْمَدِينَةِ لَنُغْرِيَنَّكَ بِهِمْ ثُمَّ لَا يُجَاوِرُونَكَ فِيهَا إِلَّا قَلِيلًا . مَلْعُونِينَ أَيْنَمَا ثُقِفُوا أُخِذُوا وَقُتِّلُوا تَقْتِيلًا . سُنَّةَ اللَّهِ فِي الَّذِينَ خَلَوْا مِن قَبْلُ وَلَن تَجِدَ لِسُنَّةِ اللَّهِ تَبْدِيلًا

The explanation:
(Surely, if the hypocrites do not give over, and those in whose hearts is a disease and those that make commotion in the city, We shall assuredly stir you [prophet] against them, then will they not be able to dwell with you in [the city] more than a little while.

[They were] driven away with curse, wherever they were found, overtaken with torment and slain [without mercy.]

[That was] God's way with those [wrong-doers] who passed away of old: you can never find any changing in [this] God's way.)

Another example: His dealing with helping the apostles and the believers against the disbelievers at any period of time is the same:

God said in the Quran 48: 22-23
وَلَوْ قَاتَلَكُمُ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا لَوَلَّوُا الْأَدْبَارَ ثُمَّ لَا يَجِدُونَ وَلِيًّا وَلَا نَصِيرًا . سُنَّةَ اللَّهِ الَّتِي قَدْ خَلَتْ مِن قَبْلُ وَلَن تَجِدَ لِسُنَّةِ اللَّهِ تَبْدِيلًا

The explanation:
(If the unbelievers had fought you [at the Hudaibia], they would have turned their backs [in flight], and then found neither protector nor helper;

Such was God's way [of dealing with His servants] that passed away before; and you will never find any changing the way of God['s dealing.])

A third example: His dealing with those who drive their apostle out of his hometown:

God said in the Quran 17: 76-77
وَإِن كَادُواْ لَيَسْتَفِزُّونَكَ مِنَ الأَرْضِ لِيُخْرِجوكَ مِنْهَا وَإِذًا لاَّ يَلْبَثُونَ خِلافَكَ إِلاَّ قَلِيلاً . سُنَّةَ مَن قَدْ أَرْسَلْنَا قَبْلَكَ مِن رُّسُلِنَا وَلاَ تَجِدُ لِسُنَّتِنَا تَحْوِيلاً

The explanation:
(And they indeed have designed to annoy you [Mohammed] off the land [of Yathrib], to expel you out of it; in that case, they could not have tarried but a little [while] after you.

[This was Our] way with the messengers We sent before you [Mohammed]: you can never find any changing in [this] Our way.)

A fourth example: His dealing with those who plot against their apostle.
God said in the Quran 35: 43
اسْتِكْبَارًا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَمَكْرَ السَّيِّئِ وَلَا يَحِيقُ الْمَكْرُ السَّيِّئُ إِلَّا بِأَهْلِهِ فَهَلْ يَنظُرُونَ إِلَّا سُنَّتَ الْأَوَّلِينَ فَلَن تَجِدَ لِسُنَّتِ اللَّهِ تَبْدِيلًا وَلَن تَجِدَ لِسُنَّتِ اللَّهِ تَحْوِيلًا

The explanation:
(Behaving arrogantly in the land, and plotting the evil, but the evil plotting overwhelms only those who do it.

So do they expect anything but the way of [God's dealing with] the ancients? And you will never find any changing the way of God['s dealing], and you will never find any postponement of the way of God['s dealing] to the following year.)

And there are a large number of the ayat of the Quran which declare the same meaning: that God's way is the same about increasing the blessing for the grateful, and abolishing the welfare of people who are not thankful.

ΥέΝΙ ΜΟνΟΙ 1
Man after Death
The Disagreement of the

Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,608,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Think about it. One moment you are patient and loving and the next you are angry and killing people. By definition that would be a "change" in personality and emotion. Even if it is temporary it is still a change.
This is an erroneous view on the word of God. The bible does not say that God cannot change his mind or allow himself to become angry or change his position in space. The bible is refering to the Character of God. His Character never changes. He is who he is and will always be that way.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 AM

48,922 posts, read 45,129,582 times
when i cross on the red and a car hits me, did the traffic light have a change of personality?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:12 PM

4,708 posts, read 5,434,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
That's funny since you don't believe Scripture I never said God doesn't become angry, He does, but He's never surprised or caught off guard by anything we do, and that is Scriptural.

The OP's point is that becoming angry represents a change in God's awareness, unless you believe that God is always angry. If God is omniscient and never changing, then his becoming angry, as the scriptures state, would be a contradiction.

You don't have to be a believer in scripture to parse and understand the assertions, however bogus, that it makes.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:24 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,764,403 times
God is immutable and will always be immutable,end of story.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:35 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,225,632 times
god is merely a projection for some folk's insecurities. When I was a toddler, I had a security blanket however I outgrew that.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 PM

15,498 posts, read 7,294,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
"I have to say that this is the last resort of the theist. If you can't come up with any reasonable - sounding explanation, 'it is a mystery - only God knows the answers'. If so, what makes you think that anyone here - preacher, Paul or bible - writer - knew any better?"

Not really. I originally had a more definite statement. I deleted the statement because I feel it's a bit arrogant, bordering on trying to read God's mind, to describe what divine emotions are like. An ant isn't going to be able to describe me in any reasonable fashion. My initial attempt at description was hubristic.

If you're curious my hypothesis was God's anger would be more like righteous indignation based on perfect information about individuals, places, and things. Therefore it would be only based in real and legitimate wrongs with an investment in righting that wrong through punishment or correction. (The emotional component involved in expressing or feeling such a desire for correction) Humans, even writers of the Bible, do not have perfect information so our description of such an anger would be inadequate. However I backed away from this because of the hubris issue and because I hadn't fully formed out the idea. Still possibly this statement leaves enough unexplained to be more reasonable, but it might remain unwise or foolish.

Anyway I think something can be inevitable, but still evoke emotions. Something inevitable you even planned might cause emotions you don't originally expect. Still I'm leery on speculating about divine emotions for reasons mentioned above. If the thing didn't matter to me at all, if God were just a fictional omnipotent being like the Q, I might feel better just speculating wildly. As is I think it's unwise to do so.

Very good. I touched on this when I mentioned the free will debate. succinctly, it envisiges a God popping out of no-where and immediately knowing everything his creation was going to do, right up to the end of the experiment, and all our freewill decisions are factored in together the approprate godly reactions.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:40 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,608,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
The OP's point is that becoming angry represents a change in God's awareness, unless you believe that God is always angry. If God is omniscient and never changing, then his becoming angry, as the scriptures state, would be a contradiction.

You don't have to be a believer in scripture to parse and understand the assertions, however bogus, that it makes.

God can become angry, but not change. He is not a lump of stone. God is a person and has a personality. He has feelings and can express them.

God speaks to people at different times. By your definition of unchanging as a Rock, God should never talk or always be talking. But God sometimes talks to us and sometimes does not.

It is not a contradiction!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality