Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:53 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when you say love, do you mean i break the rules and i walk?
Why always talk in dubious analogies when it comes to this particular matter? God will apparently forever keep us in hell for disbelieving, ffs it's not even an action you can consciously do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 03:39 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
The OP's point is pointless. And you do have to be a believer to understand Scripture.
Well yes, if by that you mean one has to be willfully ignorant (aka a believer) in order to blindly accept the absurd interpretations and ignore the blatant contradictions, errors and plagiarizations.

And of course it is a bit odd that so many believers "understand" The Bible in so many different and incompatible ways..

Old 09-02-2009, 04:12 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Why always talk in dubious analogies when it comes to this particular matter? God will apparently forever keep us in hell for disbelieving, ffs it's not even an action you can consciously do.
The person you're talking to may believe that, but I get a bit tired of the idea all Christians believe that non-believers go to Hell. Many Christians don't believe that at all or only believe it in a roundabout way. (As in Limbo is an adjunct of Hell so technically non-believers go to Hell, but said "Hell" is a place of earthly delight and life of the mind)

Salvation is only found through Jesus Christ, but how Christ does that and to whom is not universally agreed upon among Christians. The parable of sheep and goats seems to talk more about how one treats "the least of the people." Other verses seem to indicate you need to actively reject Christ not simply be unaware or unbelieving.

The idea that Christianity is a narrow form of Sola-Scriptura Protestantism makes many religious discussions here peculiar to me. Sola-Scriptura Protestantism did not exist for most of Christian history and is still a minority of world Christianity.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:37 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Quote:
The OP's point is pointless. And you do have to be a believer to understand Scripture.

How is someone supposed to become a Christian if they can't understand Scripture to begin with?

Its a very odd system your God has set up.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The person you're talking to may believe that, but I get a bit tired of the idea all Christians believe that non-believers go to Hell. Many Christians don't believe that at all or only believe it in a roundabout way. (As in Limbo is an adjunct of Hell so technically non-believers go to Hell, but said "Hell" is a place of earthly delight and life of the mind)

Salvation is only found through Jesus Christ, but how Christ does that and to whom is not universally agreed upon among Christians. The parable of sheep and goats seems to talk more about how one treats "the least of the people." Other verses seem to indicate you need to actively reject Christ not simply be unaware or unbelieving.

The idea that Christianity is a narrow form of Sola-Scriptura Protestantism makes many religious discussions here peculiar to me. Sola-Scriptura Protestantism did not exist for most of Christian history and is still a minority of world Christianity.

I think your point is a very good one.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:55 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
How is someone supposed to become a Christian if they can't understand Scripture to begin with?

Thank you Boxcar! I was a Christian for a long time ans still didn't understand it! It drove me nuts that I didn't get it. Guess I just didn't believe hard enough for the magic to happen!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,835,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
He gets angry because of the whole jealousy thing, I think. Exactly how many times has he gone psycho ex-girlfriend on people?

It's pretty funny when you think about it.

What's the meaning of: God is Jealous?

God is the only god in the entire universe; there are many names of God the Creator according to different languages.

No god but God alone without associate: this is in the entire universe: angels serve God the Creator, prophets worship God the Creator; all the heavenly revelation and all apostles invite people to God alone: this is the First Commandment.

God does not agree that man worship others besides Him and altogether with Him: like some associates in a commerce or a shop: the shop will be shared between them.

The simulation of this is like the jealous husband and his wife: he gives her all that she needs, protects her from all dangers and bestows on her all favors and grace:

Therefore, if she keeps up loyal to him: he will be pleased and increase her gifts and good pleasure.

While in case she betrays him and goes to others to associate them with her husband, and commits adultery: her jealous husband will kill her, or at least desert her, divorce her and leave her be forever; because she has been defiled.

So this is the parable: God is Jealous: does not agree that people ask their needs from Jesus or Moses: because these are His servants like the rest of His servants; but He is pleased when people glorify Him alone (and only respect these righteous men).

God is the Patron: He does not agree that people choose others like saints, sages or imams to be their patrons other than God; while these righteous men (whether dead or alive) are unable to grant people their requests; and it is only God that can answer the prayer and help people in all respects and about all their needs.

The Disagreement of the (http://quranandhebrewbible.t35.com/english2.htm#Israel - broken link) Is divorced

Israel Is Divorced

Last edited by eanassir; 09-02-2009 at 11:56 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 07:03 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

Easy, when we ask Jesus into our heart He becomes our teacher and through the indwelling presence of His Spirit, He makes all things know to us.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:26 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
But how can he be dissapointed if he already knew every event of every person's life was going to happen. How can god even have emotions? That would indicate an ability to change.
That's why He has a begotten Son. The Son is His vehicle to joining the Human race. It's the only way He can be with us. And through His Son He knows anger, sadness, happiness. What His Son experiences God experiences.
He gets disappointed because His Son and He, God already put the Laws of God on Earth. But, man fails to exercise those laws, in good faith.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Easy, when we ask Jesus into our heart He becomes our teacher and through the indwelling presence of His Spirit, He makes all things know to us.

How are we to know that, if we don't understand the scripture?

Or are we supposed to have someone tell us that part, to get us started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality