Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:00 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,480 times

Advertisements

There is no problem here.
If Adam was created without a childhood it also would be a small task for God to create the moon without it's childhood too.

so the way we see the moon now is just the same as Adam saw it when it was made...

Old 09-07-2009, 06:09 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
yeshuasavedme wrote:
Quote:
That there were more than one ice age is only a theory, and it all happened after the flood and is still happening.

Antarctica was "mapped" without the present ice before modern men "rediscovered it".
What you're doing is looking for any shred of evidence that might support your claim but it's a losing battle because you've presented some maps that could be interpreted in any number of ways because they're so imprecise and yet you ridicule actual hard physical evidence of human settlements that should have been buried under hundreds of feet of ice using your timescale. Retreating sheets of ice by their very nature tend to pick up massive blocks of stone and deposit them in locations far away from their source of origin. Geologists have recognized this fact for a very long time and are able to piece it together and document a reliable timetable for when this actually happened. Your sources of information are not scientific and present something that could be described as folklore.
A true scientist looks for evidence and is willing to follow that evidence wherever it leads, even if it means overturning previously held beliefs.
What you're doing is very different. You want to prove your version of religion and the history of mankind and you're just digging around trying to find something to substantiate it. Those are two very different things.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:45 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
What you're doing is looking for any shred of evidence that might support your claim but it's a losing battle...

(snip)

You want to prove your version of religion and the history of mankind and you're just digging around trying to find something to substantiate it.
MG, witness desperation masquarading as knowledge.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
That is not "confirmed", it is a "Just So" fable, and there was only one ice age, and it is not over, with retreats and advances of ice sheets over the few thousand years since the flood.
No, I guess it is not confirmed. I guess all them scientists going annually to Antarctica, should just stay at home and read their buybulls.

I guess drilling to over 3km and still drilling - and more rings discovered each time is just a grand ol' hoax. World governments sponsor trips to the antarctic just to disprove your buybull, so yeah, I guess we should not believe them and the scientists that make the annual trek to the "bottom of teh wurlde" I am sure the weather conditions there are super ideal for human existence?

Gee, and to think I thought the USA was a world leader in education? With folk like you that just disproves all those claims. Tell me your kids that are dentists, do they use hammers and chisels and pliers as tools of their trade?

I am sure they use no scientific methods as that is not mentioned in your buybull.

See I can be just as obnoxious as you are by dismissing evidence out of hand.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well, I don't feel embarrass at all. Noahs flood would account for many of them being removed from the surface. And more than likely, the earth is closer to 14,000 years old, and not 6,000 years. And it is now believe that dinosaurs did not die off becasue of an asteroid, but rather a volcano.
Well you should be, in the light of all the factual evidence about the age of the earth, and for that matter the age of the universe, your views are extremely naive, substituting fairy tales for science.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Once again you are mistaken Campbell. Perhaps you believe that dinos did not die off because of meteor impact, but the verdict is not yet in...

Evidence for the Asteroid Impact Hypothesis

Impact Crater
This 150-kilometer-wide crater lies just off the Yucatan peninsula. Scientists calculate that it was blasted into Earth by a 10-kilometer-wide asteroid or comet traveling 30 kilometers per second -- 150 times faster than a jet airliner.
Scientists have concluded that the impact that created this crater occurred 65 million years ago. The date corresponds perfectly to the date of the dinosaur extinction.
Rare Metal
The metal iridium, which is similar to platinum, is very rare on Earth's surface but is more common in asteroids and in molten rock deep within the planet.
Scientists have discovered levels of iridium 30 times greater than average in the Cretaceous/Tertiary (KT) boundary, the layer of sedimentary rock laid down at the time of the dinosaur extinction.

Evidence for the Volcanism Hypothesis

Lava Flows
Immense lava flows cover nearly 200,000 square miles of the Deccan region of India, reaching depths of more than 6,500 feet in places.
Lava flows like these provide evidence of a rash of volcanic activity for at least 500,000 years leading up to the extinction of the dinosaurs.
Rare Metal
The metal iridium, which is similar to platinum, is very rare on Earth's surface but is more common in asteroids and in molten rock deep within the planet.

Evidence for the Mammal Competition Hypothesis

Fossil Record
A gradual decline in the number of dinosaur species would likely mirror an equally gradual cause of their ultimate extinction. Conversely, a sudden "now you see them, now you don't" end to the dinosaurs implies a catastrophic cause. Depending on location and interpretation, the fossil record seems to say different things.
While mammals certainly prospered on the heels of the dinosaur extinction, it is unclear whether mammals and dinosaurs experienced little competition or if they regularly challenged each other for limited resources.

Hypothesis: Continental Drift
It's difficult to imagine a process more gradual than continental drift. But some scientists say that, slow or not, this repositioning of the world's landmasses was disastrous for dinosaurs.
As continents heaved upward, pushed by the movement of tectonic plates, ocean currents were redirected and global sea levels fell. The Interior Seaway, for example, which once divided North America in half, simply drained away as the Colorado Plateau rose thousands of feet.
According to this hypothesis, climates in many parts of the world became drier and cooler. The resulting ecosystems produced less food than the environments in which dinosaurs evolved and were unable to sustain them.

We will never know exactly what happened 65 million years ago, but we can come close.

Most scientists agree that an asteroid or comet put a dramatic exclamation point at the end of the Cretaceous period. It is also widely acknowledged that continents shifted, sea levels dropped, and volcanoes erupted across Earth's surface. Most paleontologists would even grant that mammals probably competed to some extent with dinosaurs.
With all of these pieces to the puzzle in hand, the question remains: What role did these phenomena play in the extinction of the dinosaurs?

While the answer to this question remains a mystery, the question itself is far more refined than the one scientists were asking just a few decades ago. We're getting closer to knowing what killed the dinosaurs.

And so, for now, we can be satisfied maintaining several viable hypotheses. It's likely that one of them -- or all of them in combination -- holds the answer. In time, with more evidence, we will undoubtedly get closer to knowing for sure.

Evolution: Extinction: What Killed the Dinosaurs?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Quote:
The age of the "ice caps" is not older than the flood, and there was only one "ice age", which is still not over. WW2 planes which crashed 50 years before they were found were under hundreds of feet of ice.

Grand canyon was formed after the flood, and in 'days', or a short amount of time [ "Chariot Wheels Found in the Red Sea - Page 1" "The Grand Canyon could never have been formed by a river even flowing for millions and millions of years . . . unless, of course, water could run up hill!"

In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood - Details Relating to Brown’s Proposal (Hydroplate Theory) ]; and you have no idea how many plants and animals are "extinct" because you have never been in all the earth at one time to see. So called "extinct" plants and animals are proving to be not extinct after all, all the time, and in those that are classified as different species in fossils, there are undoubtedly many mistakes in classifications because of not understanding what the young vs adult of some kinds would look like, nor what those of great ages would look like, as certain bones thicken with age in animals.

Boy oh boy lady you really need to update your education!! Since you rely soley on creationist websites, and lets face it they give great, guesses but nothing based on research or testing, i went to outside the religious circle.Here is some help for you..

Scientists Question the Age of the Grand Canyon - March 7, 2008 - The New York Sun

Geology News: Age of the Grand Canyon by NPS

An Ice Age

icecap and icebergs

Old 09-07-2009, 10:27 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,455,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
yeshuasavedme wrote:
Quote:
:

That there were more than one ice age is only a theory, and it all happened after the flood and is still happening.

Antarctica was "mapped" without the present ice before modern men "rediscovered it".
What you're doing is looking for any shred of evidence that might support your claim but it's a losing battle because you've presented some maps that could be interpreted in any number of ways because they're so imprecise and yet you ridicule actual hard physical evidence of human settlements that should have been buried under hundreds of feet of ice using your timescale. Retreating sheets of ice by their very nature tend to pick up massive blocks of stone and deposit them in locations far away from their source of origin. Geologists have recognized this fact for a very long time and are able to piece it together and document a reliable timetable for when this actually happened. Your sources of information are not scientific and present something that could be described as folklore.
A true scientist looks for evidence and is willing to follow that evidence wherever it leads, even if it means overturning previously held beliefs.
What you're doing is very different. You want to prove your version of religion and the history of mankind and you're just digging around trying to find something to substantiate it. Those are two very different things.
No one said there were great settlements dislodged by advancing ice sheets in the one ice age, which has not ended, but Greenland is mostly covered in ice now when only a few hundred years ago it was much warmer and hospitable.

In fact, I do not use only creationist Bible Believing sources for factual information. We all have access to the same facts and artifacts, but our world views determine our conclusions on those facts.
Hapgood's book, Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings, along with many others written by men about information on the ancient mysteries -but they are called mysteries only because of the denial of the Word of God- is in my library, and Hapgood is not a Bible Believing Christian and is probably an evolutionist, but he knows his subject, unlike you who are stuck on Darwin.
From the Book, a short presentation of why the map is authentic [posted according to the freedon of information act] as is quoted here:World-Mysteries.com
Quote:
[LEFT]6, July, 1960
Subject: Admiral Piri Reis Map
TO: Prof. Charles H. Hapgood
Keene College
Keene, New Hampshire
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Dear Professor Hapgood, [/LEFT]
[LEFT]Your request of evaluation of certain unusual features of the Piri Reis map of 1513 by this organization has been reviewed.
The claim that the lower part of the map portrays the Princess Martha Coast of Queen Maud Land, Antarctic, and the Palmer Peninsular, is reasonable. We find that this is the most logical and in all probability the correct interpretation of the map.
The geographical detail shown in the lower part of the map agrees very remarkably with the results of the seismic profile made across the top of the ice-cap by the Swedish-British Antarctic Expedition of 1949.
This indicates the coastline had been mapped before it was covered by the ice-cap.
The ice-cap in this region is now about a mile thick.
We have no idea how the data on this map can be reconciled with the supposed state of geographical knowledge in 1513.
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Harold Z. Ohlmeyer Lt. Colonel, USAF Commander[/LEFT]

Old 09-07-2009, 11:56 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
There was ample room in the Ark for all the created kinds in which was the "breath of life", in the pairs of two for unclean kinds and seven for the clean kinds.
You are claiming that only animals that breathe needed to be aboard this ark. So in effect you contradict your 'word of god' which says:

.......every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth." Genesis 7:19-23

Fair enough, you know best!

Quote:
And Noah was advanced in his technological understanding, and far more advanced than we are, yet, today;........
OK folks! You warned me but I wouldn't listen. I thought that maybe...just maybe, logic and reason might work with this poster. Suppose I really should have checked out some of her posts before I started and saved myself some time and effort. I'm done with folks who think that people 4500 years ago were more technically advanced than we are today.

If there are any more like YSM here I would be very grateful if one of you could advise me if you happen to notice me getting drawn into a discussion with them.

Thanks in anticipation.

<sitting at desk with head in hands thinking 'what the f.....>

Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
No one said there were great settlements dislodged by advancing ice sheets in the one ice age, which has not ended, but Greenland is mostly covered in ice now when only a few hundred years ago it was much warmer and hospitable.
It was bit warmer and hospitable, at least to those used to living in Norway. But still largely covered by ice.

Quote:
In fact, I do not use only creationist Bible Believing sources for factual information. We all have access to the same facts and artifacts, but our world views determine our conclusions on those facts.
Hapgood's book, Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings, along with many others written by men about information on the ancient mysteries -but they are called mysteries only because of the denial of the Word of God- is in my library, and Hapgood is not a Bible Believing Christian and is probably an evolutionist, but he knows his subject, unlike you who are stuck on Darwin.
From the Book, a short presentation of why the map is authentic [posted according to the freedon of information act] as is quoted here:World-Mysteries.com
Oh my god! Not the Piri Reis blasted map again and Charles flaming Hapgood. Oh my giddy aunt!

The Piri Reis map is one of many maps of the time shortly after the discovery of America. These maps show the known world surrounded by a guesswork ring of land, incorporating America on the west. It in no way shows Antarctica, which was unknown at the time. It shows the South of America curving (inaccurately) round to join up with this supposed surrounding land -ring, which the damaged map doesn't show. There are several other maps of the time which do show it.

The Admiral Reis map is not unique, astonishing or inexplicable. It does not show an ice - free Antarctica, it does not match the present Antarctica with or without ice and is no evidence for sea -kings, a map of an Ice -free Antarctica or a Young earth Bible - based scenario. If you are willing to listen, you could find out a lot that Creationists either don't know or keep quiet about. Don't you think that facts are more important than faith?

I couldn't yet find an example of the type of map that is really close, but these illustrate the concept of the time.

Ortelius 1570. Showing 'terra Incognita'
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/56/Typusor.jpg (broken link)
A useful article discussing the gradual disappearace of the mythical 'Terra Australis'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Australis

This shows that the Reis map matches S America well enough but is twisted so as to link it with Terra Incognito/Australis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pi...rpretation.jpg

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-08-2009 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: a few maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality