U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:50 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,407,699 times

Advertisements

The moon is completely covered with impact craters all over it's surface. That brings up a few questions if the earth and the universe are only about 6,000 years old. Because the moon has no atmosphere, water or erosion all of those craters don't change over time and there are so many that we see smaller craters within larger ones. There must be thousands of them. It's self evident that all of them were caused from objects of various sizes from outer space that collided with the moon. I can't recall in human history any records of observations of a single collision. I would think that a large object striking the moon when it was full on a clear night would be clearly visible without the need for a telescope.
Ok, so my first question is how exactly could this have happened within a 6,000 time span? This also raises another question. If the moon has been covered with impact craters in such a short amount of time then the earth which is a much larger target should also be covered with them but it isn't. The only ones that are clearly recognizable today are the ones that are fairly recent in geologic time and weathering has not had sufficient time to remove any evidence of them. We do have evidence of some of the extremely large ones such as the one that struck the earth which led to the demise of the dinosaurs but the smaller ones are fairly rare. Here's the problem. If the earth was only 6,000 years old it should be completely covered with impact craters because that's not enough time for erosion and geologic events to remove them. Also, please don't embarrass yourself by suggesting that Noah's flood just washed them away because even if this imaginary flood had actually occurred the craters would still be there once the waters had receded.
Does anyone have any reasonable explanations?

Old 09-02-2009, 04:42 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,558,893 times
Rather than waiting for the inevitable cut-n-pastes, you may as well just head on over to Answers In Genesis now and see if they've managed to cobble together one of their BS apologetic articles on the subject.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,929,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The moon is completely covered with impact craters all over it's surface. That brings up a few questions if the earth and the universe are only about 6,000 years old. Because the moon has no atmosphere, water or erosion all of those craters don't change over time and there are so many that we see smaller craters within larger ones. There must be thousands of them. It's self evident that all of them were caused from objects of various sizes from outer space that collided with the moon. I can't recall in human history any records of observations of a single collision. I would think that a large object striking the moon when it was full on a clear night would be clearly visible without the need for a telescope.
Ok, so my first question is how exactly could this have happened within a 6,000 time span? This also raises another question. If the moon has been covered with impact craters in such a short amount of time then the earth which is a much larger target should also be covered with them but it isn't. The only ones that are clearly recognizable today are the ones that are fairly recent in geologic time and weathering has not had sufficient time to remove any evidence of them. We do have evidence of some of the extremely large ones such as the one that struck the earth which led to the demise of the dinosaurs but the smaller ones are fairly rare. Here's the problem. If the earth was only 6,000 years old it should be completely covered with impact craters because that's not enough time for erosion and geologic events to remove them. Also, please don't embarrass yourself by suggesting that Noah's flood just washed them away because even if this imaginary flood had actually occurred the craters would still be there once the waters had receded.

I posted this exact idea in my thread a few weeks back concerning young earthers. No one had a solid explanation for Earth's craters...many of which would have wiped mankind off the face of this planet. You'll probably get responses like this:

God made the earth look old and battered

There have been other meteor strikes (such as the one in Russia in early 1900s) that have gone unnoticed by humans.

The angels created the craters in a war before Adam and Eve were put on Earth (this was one poster's response to my thread).

So, in summary, everything will be contorted to there religious beliefs without putting an ounce of thought into it...same as they do with starlight's distance from earth, mountain heights, etc.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:12 PM

24,889 posts, read 20,321,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

Um, let me think, um

The lord works in mysterious ways, yeah, thats it, yeah.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:12 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,949,559 times
It's a good question. Religion, or none. Makes ya wonder.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:18 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,407,699 times
It's also interesting to note that the impacts have occurred on every part of the moon including the part that always faces the earth. That would mean that it couldn't have been a sudden shower of heavenly bodies since it was coming from all directions. I seriously thought that this was an interesting question when you get into the details of how it could actually happen. Well of course we are dealing with creationists who might put forward the possibility that satan and his band of thugs were trying to attack the earth but the occational misfire might have struck the moon. Just a thought.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:00 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,070,360 times
Default Or this, just in!

I've also heard that it was from large chunks of Earth being tossed up directly at the moon (with uncanny accuracy, I'll add...) during the flood, when the Earth's surfaces were "popped" open by the explosive release of the waters that (apparently) lay just beneath the surface (though oil and geological drilling have NEVER uncovered any such nonsensical troves of water).

This hardly explains how these massive craters also accumulated on the backside of the moon, and also why their impact angles are always at 90˚ to the surface, while if the moon were bombarded only from the direction of the Earth, some of the near-grazing misses would be in the obvious form of long glancing trenches.

Oh yeah; part of this nonsense bit of fantasy was also that those chunks then conveniently fell back to earth. Ledaving not a single crater, of course..... yawn.......

Amazing what creative fairy-tale nonsense comes about from the deperate Creationist mind when confronted with anomalies that don't fit their kindergarten explanations of the origins of our galaxy and solar system, huh?

Old 09-02-2009, 06:23 PM

4,529 posts, read 4,741,415 times
Goddunit.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,664,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
God made the earth look old and battered
I prefer to call this the "Holy Patina Theory". It sounds more awesome.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:36 PM

2,671 posts, read 3,554,202 times
In the beginning giants walked the earth....The largest was named pele'asorus.To practice for his soccor match against beckem-asorus he kicked huge bolders at the moon,some bounced off other planets and came back and hit the back side of the moon....case closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality