Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 03:52 PM

347 posts, read 1,567,418 times

Advertisements

I also find it interesting that the producers didn't bother to mention that one big reason Mormons were driven out of Missouri was that Mormons have always been against slavery. Since Missouri wasn't a free state, they certainly didn't look kindly on Mormons being very outspoken on the divine nature of all God's Creatures, no matter what color.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:57 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I didn't see this, but anything I've ever seen about LDS people has been so sensationalist. ETA: I see that maniac pointed out polygamy isn't the LDS norm, so I'm taking out a statement about polygamy...basically that every documentary I've ever seen on Mormons has been about a polygamous family, as if that's the norm or something. If this documentary is less sensationalist, I'd like to see it. Will this be rebroadcast?

Old 05-19-2007, 05:22 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,085 times
Well I don't know that I'd say it was less sensationalist. but you can actually watch it online. You just follow this link: http://www.pbs.org/search/search_res...G.x=9&btnG.y=3

Old 05-19-2007, 05:57 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Quote:
Jerz: I didn't see this, but anything I've ever seen about LDS people has been so sensationalist. ETA: I see that maniac pointed out polygamy isn't the LDS norm, so I'm taking out a statement about polygamy...basically that every documentary I've ever seen on Mormons has been about a polygamous family, as if that's the norm or something. If this documentary is less sensationalist, I'd like to see it. Will this be rebroadcast?
I actually dated a guy who converted to Mormonism, and I was quite surprised at the reality. It's a really nice religion, from what I was exposed to. Unfortunately, the sect that took off and continued to practice polygamy ruined a lot of the reputations of "real" Mormons.

If you go and attend a church, or talk to Mormons, or even "Jack Mormons" (those who didn't follow the faith the way it should be), you might be surprised. I have tremendous respect for Mormons and the LDS church now that I've learned a lot about it. I also lived near the Hill Comorah. I liked the religion. (Of course, I also like Judaism a lot, too....)

Check into the facts about Mormonism -- you might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:27 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I liked the religion. (Of course, I also like Judaism a lot, too....)
This is an interesting phenomenon and very common. I believe it has much to do with the fact that both religions are a culture and define a distinctive lifestyle.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:51 PM

253 posts, read 640,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
This is an interesting phenomenon and very common. I believe it has much to do with the fact that both religions are a culture and define a distinctive lifestyle.
It is distinctive isn't it? I didn't realize this until recently, I feel kind of bad for those other religions that don't do youth dances every month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality