Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:19 AM

77 posts, read 632,428 times

Advertisements

I'm an atheist ,and very open about it .I know people who meet me think that I am a Muslim (since I'm originally from the Middle East),I don't correct them if they don't mention it ,but if they ask ..or we start talking religion ..I mention that I am an atheist .
I have no prob whatsoever with ppl of faith (regardless what their religion is ),actually I do believe that sometimes faith help some ppl passing through some hard time in their life (just doesn't work for me).
Coming from the very conservative Middle East ,I'd learnt how to tolerate preaching ..ppl will get over it when they see no interest .If there's a religious discussion ,I try to stay away from it (through the years I found out how useless it is ),unless I have been asked.What I cannot tolerate is gay bashing,bashing other beliefs, ppl who try to impose rules on others based only on their holy books..here dont expect no argument from me .I have only one wish :to take GOD(whoever this god is )out of the schools,it's hard to explain to a 5yrs old(I have a 5yrs old daughter) why she should trust someone she doesn't know or heard about ,it is like they're telling her that her mom is a liar .Maybe one day ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 12:31 AM

77 posts, read 632,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
muslims will be offended if you question about their religion
Moderate Muslims wont ,religious Muslims will get offended if you don't get convinced at the end that their religion is the real one ..or if you bash their prophet or criticize the teaching of Islam .
Most likely they will tell you that you don't get it ,and that you don't understand the real meaning of Islam and the quran.The calm ones will ask their god to show you the right path,and the aggressive ones will fight with you .lol
They will feel happy if you have questions about their religion(as long as ur asking in a polite way),but get extremely offended if you question their religion,their book and their god .As much as most of the Muslims deny it ,but the Islamic society is a very conservative one .
Anyway ,these days most Muslims become very sensitive to anything from the west ,due to linking Islam to terrorism ..but that's totally a diff story ,I don't want to go there and hijack this thread .

Old 05-01-2007, 07:30 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Am enjoying all of you more and more (always did respect you) I only wish others would just give you the respect you deserve. Another question I am wondering about. First, I believe in evolution to a certain extent, and that even men have evolved. (have to pretty much keep quiet about my opinions on evolution)..Do you mostely believe in Darwin's theory ?

Old 05-01-2007, 07:48 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
sure.
I reckon most Christians know the truth deep in their heart.They just got used to be Christian and go to churches.
Hi Ducksburg-
I can tell you pretty honestly that me and all the Christians I know do not "know the truth" as you perceive it in their hearts. Meaning: All the ones I know really DO believe it, myself included. If we are deceived, as many of you think we are, we ARE truly deceived.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:51 AM

469 posts, read 2,735,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Am enjoying all of you more and more (always did respect you) I only wish others would just give you the respect you deserve. Another question I am wondering about. First, I believe in evolution to a certain extent, and that even men have evolved. (have to pretty much keep quiet about my opinions on evolution)..Do you mostely believe in Darwin's theory ?
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find an atheist who didn't accept the theory of evolution -- it might be possible to find a couple who had some wacky belief like that aliens dropped us here, but most atheists go for the Darwin. For that matter, as you know, if you don't accept the Bible as literal fact then evolution is compatible with Christian beliefs. My Catholic friend believes that God kickstarted evolution, so to speak.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:54 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
I have never posted in this religion forum and I just started reading some of the posts. Interesting.

I am not religious nor do I follow any religion. My mother tried to bring me up Catholic. It didn't work. A couple of years ago I started to attend a Baptist church. I liked some of it but I stopped going after a few sessions. I can't, for the life of me, understand this blind belief. I might if I spent enough time and energy trying to "learn" about it.

Basically, I think I am agnostic only because I cannot TOTALLY say there is or isn't a God or a Trinity or a whatever according to each religion. This may have something to do with my upbringing.

With this little background, I raised my son completely a-religious, a-denomination, a-affiliation to anything thinking that when he is old enough he can choose for himself after he knows how to make choices. He went through school, became a engineer, was atheist. Then, one fine day, he started attending a Bible study group and he is now a complete Christian. I ask him things every once in a while. He knows his stuff and has all the answers but he still cannot convinced me and we do not get into religious discussions.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:07 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Quote:
My Catholic friend believes that God kickstarted evolution, so to speak.
Most of my Catholic friends believe this way, too. I think Catholicism is the most liberal of the Protestant sects (despite having one of the most conservative leaderships).

Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Most of my Catholic friends believe this way, too. I think Catholicism is the most liberal of the Protestant sects (despite having one of the most conservative leaderships).
If Catholicism were a protestant sect maybe it would be...

Old 05-01-2007, 01:06 PM

275 posts, read 433,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
If Catholicism were a protestant sect maybe it would be...
LOL...couldn't resist, could you

Pope John Paul II declared that evolution and faith are not incompatible years ago...

http://www.catholic.net/RCC/Periodicals/Dossier/0102-97/Article3.html (broken link)

Old 05-01-2007, 01:35 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Oops Sorry, I meant "Christian" sects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality